Anyone else feel bad for the Cadet's members?

I saw some Cadets members at the Indy airport and they were proudly wearing their medals. I think they're OK.

I felt a little bad during retreat when the two Blues were shaking hands and hugging and the Cadets just turned around and marched off the field in perfect unison.

Even then, its not a secret that that's how the Cadets do things. Kids that go there, go there for that experience. Gone are the days where whatever corps was local to you is where you marched. The kids handled the disappointment well, and I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I don't feel bad that their experience held up to what they signed up for. I would be more disappointed for them if they had done something differently. I've known several people who marched there, and they all took pride in that tradition.

I do feel a bit bad for Cadets this year....I think no matter where they placed (2 or 3) they were going to receive a little collateral damage from the audience and on the internets. But it is what it is.....movement within the top ranks is exciting and good for the activity as a whole, but someone, somewhere is going to pay the price.

This was published on FB for all 5000 of his "friends", so I have no problem sharing:

"Response to the critics ...

I guess there are folks chastising the Cadets and well .. ME .. for the Cadets quick departure from the field Saturday night.

First of all, the agreement the corps have is to depart leaving the field to the champion. There is no saluting or playing in your departure.

That said, we have chosen over the years to maintain our bearing. If we win ... we stand erect. If we lose .. we stand erect. We do this out of respect for our competitors and for our 80 year legacy as Cadets.

We do this every year.

If you use as an example this past evening, I can assure you that placing Third was disappointing. But we have learned to stand still out of respect. Would you have felt we were more human of we had shown our displeasure? Perhaps.

But does the crowd consider the feeling of the corps that gets bumped when there is an upset ??? NO. How about BD when they lost to Phantom a few years ago. The place went crazy. YEA! Phantom. Painful for BD.

We forget there are kids under those uniforms. We think we are at a professional sporting event. Indeed, this is how we market ourselves .... MARCHING MUSIC'S MAJOR LEAGUES !!!!

Gang ... Trust me ... we are very human.

But whether here or in our lives, the Cadets learn that WE control our response to what happens. We need not bark out in anger when things do not go our way, And we need not crumble when the world tosses us a curveball.

Last night was mlld. Third ... Second ... No big deal !!!
BUT ... I admire the Cadets for standing at attention. They are my heroes.

In fact I addressed before the retreat that we may place third. I have been around a few years and I knew the adjudicators, I knew the situation, and I knew what MIGHT happen. And as a teacher and caretaker for kids, I felt I needed to prepare them.
I did not want to talk about third but I did. I felt it my duty.

And it came to pass, we placed third ... and the Cadets stood erect.
And Cadets everywhere cheer in understanding and joy.

As for the departure ...
there is no reason or us to stay on the field. We are not going to move ... this we know. And eventually, folks will cut through our ranks, and the situation is uncomfortable. Corps have other modes of operation and we respect their right to do so, BUT, with our approach, we kind of get in the way of a good party

So ... we go ...
and we celebrate alone OFF STAGE as our performers are taught.
We never want to embarrass others. We never want to show disrespect.

We always want to be Cadets

I hope this helps to explain what we do. You may not agree but ...
at least you might be understanding of our drum corps.

Happy Sunday from a truck stop where we have blown a water hose on the way home"

Edited by jonnyboy