Anyone else feel bad for the Cadet's members?

Nope. Every single one of those members knew what the Cadets are all about. If the audience sees fit to celebrate a corps that can beat them and they don't like it, perhaps they will think twice next time. (though if history shows anything with BD, probably not)

Agreed. They all know Cadets are about innovation, tradition, hard-work & excellence!!

• Like 1

It actually reminds me of 1992. Star did a beautiful patriotic show. 1st on Thursday ( and all season), 2nd on Friday, 3rd on Saturday. The crowd went crazy when the announcement was made, and it was clear that it was not necessarily who beat them but that they moved down. Pretty rotten really. As I look back, it was such a lovely show.

I think 2014 was different. My perception is that the crowd cheered because the Bluecoats show was a fan favorite and moved up, passing a show that was not nearly as popular.

But I think you're right about 1992, in that many wanted to see Star get beaten. I also agree that 1992 was a great show, along with all of their other shows in that era.

I remember hearing boos in the Citrus Bowl after beating the Madison Scouts in '98. I know it wasn't directed at us specifically but its still a moment that has stuck with me for 16 years now. Doesn't change how I feel about the accomplishment we made as a corps, just added another memory to the season.

• Like 1

Cadets will be fine. As others have said the members performed great, won medals and cared-for great all summer

I'm sure the 3rd place reaction wasn't as much of a surprise for the members as we think - they know Coats were hot on their heels and that the Coats show was an extreme crowd favorite

I agree the "falling" GE scores were more an indictment of the design decision than the members performances - hopefully the powers that be will sit back, exhale and make some better decisions for 2015. Not that "3rd" is "bad" - but that I think we all recognize the design held the kids back in the end

Anyway - they'll be fine. A good life lesson for all involved

Congratulations Cadets on a great season,

George.

It was crystal clear that the move was set up on Friday night. Sometimes, the hype propels you forward. 87 Cadets and2008 Phantom come to mind.

• Like 1

What really struck me was the look on the Cadet's CG member's face when they stepped forward to accept the award. It showed anything BUT pride and happiness.

I mean yah, theyre going to be proud of their accomplishment. 3rd in the world! But I've always felt one of the most embarrassing things is to be on the short end of the hype stick, and then to have that hype stick steal all of the crowd recognition you've been looking forward to.

EDIT: Additional stuff to clarify

Edited by JamesKPolk
  • Like 3

Oh good grief. It was an extremely well designed show that you just didn't like. The kids won a bronze medal. I'd say their staff and design team did just fine. They just didn't do as well as BD and Coats. Last time I checked, they are allowed to drum corps too.

I "just didn't like it"? Can you think of any corps design package that was widely ridiculed more than this year's flag wavin' narration-and-tarpfest?

I am certain that - to a person - doing "just fine" is far from well enough for the 150 ultra talented Cadets members this year.

The kids may have won a bronze medal, but the staff lost at least a silver medal, possibly gold (no way BD has such a high score if the Cadets actually had a show package that could compete.) And everyone in the corps and 99% of the people in the audience know it too.

• Like 1

It's hard to feel sorry for anyone who wins third place in DCI, but it's hard not to feel sorry when you see their devastated faces when they expect better and have worked so hard.

I recall not feeling all that bad for the Bridgemen when they were disqualified in 1977, until I got the Legacy DVD, saw the show for the first time in about twenty five years, and realized they were only kids, and since that time I always realize we're talking about kids. Yes they are more talented than most but still kids.

I don't feel bad for them at all. They played and marched their butts off, looked and sounded fantastic, and went home with a Bronze medal. How many other corps would have liked to get that medal last night?

I do wish they would reconsider the stiff and formal retreat block at finals and immediate departure. BITD, even when most corps were a bit more formal at retreat, the finals retreat, at least after the scores were read, was a bit more of a party. Corps mingles, hugged, exchanged congratulations, etc. Most corps still do this, even though it is the only retreat of the year. I wish these kids could join the party. However, I am sure George explains all of this well to them, which is why you did not see one of them drop out of character last night.

Anyway, great job, Cadets.

• Like 3