Anyone else feel bad for the Cadet's members?

I "just didn't like it"? Can you think of any corps design package that was widely ridiculed more than this year's flag wavin' narration-and-tarpfest?

I am certain that - to a person - doing "just fine" is far from well enough for the 150 ultra talented Cadets members this year.

The kids may have won a bronze medal, but the staff lost at least a silver medal, possibly gold (no way BD has such a high score if the Cadets actually had a show package that could compete.) And everyone in the corps and 99% of the people in the audience know it too.

so what? they didn't get silver?? Is that YOUR measure of a good or bad summer? Because it isn't Cadets measure. Never has been. Never will be.

and please don't speak for "99% of the audience" or "every" member in the corps because you're not in the position to do so

I don't feel bad for them at all. They played and marched their butts off, looked and sounded fantastic, and went home with a Bronze medal. How many other corps would have liked to get that medal last night?

I do wish they would reconsider the stiff and formal retreat block at finals and immediate departure. BITD, even when most corps were a bit more formal at retreat, the finals retreat, at least after the scores were read, was a bit more of a party. Corps mingles, hugged, exchanged congratulations, etc. Most corps still do this, even though it is the only retreat of the year. I wish these kids could join the party. However, I am sure George explains all of this well to them, which is why you did not see one of them drop out of character last night.

Anyway, great job, Cadets.

I agree with you about the formal retreat block. I think it's time to relax that tradition a little. I loved seeing the kids in Crown & BD last year and Bluecoats & BD kids this year hug and congratulate each other.

I do feel for the members. Their chance to be applauded by the audience at retreat was eclipsed severely by the crowd's affinity for Bluecoats. The audience response seemed to be more about which show designs the crowd liked and did not like. It seemed to be an unfortunate combination of having a relatively unpopular show design AND THEN being taken down a notch on finals night.

Cadets' design team is very competent and I'm sure they are well aware of what elements of show design are generally popular and unpopular with audiences. Cadets' approach is no secret and MMs are certainly well aware going in. Still, I feel for the members, since their crowd reaction was almost certainly more about their design than their accomplishment and level of performance.

And Cadets are certainly not unique in this regard. I can think of a few other corps at the top of the list over the years that have not been received well but remained highly competitive.

• Like 1

Nothing to see here. Crowds cheer for crowd favorites. Imagine what would have happened if BD was announced in 2nd!

• Like 2

so what? they didn't get silver?? Is that YOUR measure of a good or bad summer? Because it isn't Cadets measure. Never has been. Never will be.

and please don't speak for "99% of the audience" or "every" member in the corps because you're not in the position to do so

It's the most convenient measure twelve hours after the competition.

But my real measure is did every member, and the corps as a whole, create a beautiful work of art.

And if you think that more than 1% of the audience think that the Cadets had the best show design this year, you're kidding yourself.

• Like 1

DCI should bring back the corps playing themselves off the field in reverse order of finish. I know it takes some time but come on!

• Like 1

One could feel sorry for the age outs in Cadets (although as someone said, bronze is a big accomplishment in this field), but we should remember that when something similar happened to BD a few years back .....they came back the next year and didn't lose for 2 more years. Poke the bear at your own peril! :smile:

BTW.....great performance Cadets.......you're an amazing corps!

• Like 1

I don't feel bad for them at all. They played and marched their butts off, looked and sounded fantastic, and went home with a Bronze medal. How many other corps would have liked to get that medal last night?

I do wish they would reconsider the stiff and formal retreat block at finals and immediate departure. BITD, even when most corps were a bit more formal at retreat, the finals retreat, at least after the scores were read, was a bit more of a party. Corps mingles, hugged, exchanged congratulations, etc. Most corps still do this, even though it is the only retreat of the year. I wish these kids could join the party. However, I am sure George explains all of this well to them, which is why you did not see one of them drop out of character last night.

Anyway, great job, Cadets.

They got a bronze medal, true, and that's something to be proud of. But they did not get much in terms of recognition from the audience. It must hurt to get taken down a notch and your thunder stolen too.

• Like 1

They got a bronze medal, true, and that's something to be proud of. But they did not get much in terms of recognition from the audience. It must hurt to get taken down a notch and your thunder stolen too.

This is exactly my sentiments.

I'm not feeling sorry at the fact that they got knocked down to 3rd, moreso I'm sympathizing because they got just about ZERO recognition on the one night where theyre supposed to get the most recognition.

• Like 1

It's the most convenient measure twelve hours after the competition.

But my real measure is did every member, and the corps as a whole, create a beautiful work of art.

And if you think that more than 1% of the audience think that the Cadets had the best show design this year, you're kidding yourself.

placement is no measure of "a successful summer" and neither is (your view) of "create a beautiful work of art"

you've got a lot to learn about what's important to the Cadets organization - because zero of placement or "artistic success" is what matters

it is this: did the kids learn and grow as individuals? form lasting bonds with others? create good habits that will help them down the road in life? have fun? were they well trained and well cared for?

these are the questions that determine "success" - not silver vs. bronze or your personal view of artistic merit

• Like 2