Anyone else feel bad for the Cadet's members?

I don't feel bad for the Cadets cause i believe their hornets nest just got poked. Lets remember who the Cadets are. They are no different from BD as in when their backs are against the wall, and its that us against the world mentality you better watch out. Look at what BD has done the last three times they went home with silver. They came out the next year going undefeated and cracking the 99 barrier twice. They left no doubt who the top dog was. Cadets are no different and and they are going use what happened last night as motivation and fuel to push them this off season and heading into next season. 2015 everybody better watch out cause i have a feeling like BD, the Cadets are going to make a statement.

• Like 3

Not at all. Last year when Crown won, BD didn't wine about it, they were over with Crown celebrating with them and congratulating them, even if most of the cheering was geared towards Crown. If any group is a class act, I have to say it is BD. They are out there applauding their peers, not storming out as soon as they can.

So since you seem to be implying that Cadets were "storming out as soon as they can" (and let's not be naive..you may not have said it, but everyone here knows exactly what you meant), I'm gonna educate you a little.

Cadets have always had the tradition of leaving the field as soon as they can out of respect for the champion since it is the champion's field. It's been a tradition for a long time. We did the same thing in 1999 when we came in fourth, and they have done it multiple times before and after that. So let's try not to make it seem as the Cadets are terrible because they left the field "as soon as they can".

I don't feel bad for the Cadets cause i believe their hornets nest just got poked. Lets remember who the Cadets are. They are no different from BD as in when their backs are against the wall, and its that us against the world mentality you better watch out. Look at what BD has done the last three times they went home with silver. They came out the next year going undefeated and cracking the 99 barrier twice. They left no doubt who the top dog was. Cadets are no different and and they are going use what happened last night as motivation and fuel to push them this off season and heading into next season. 2015 everybody better watch out cause i have a feeling like BD, the Cadets are going to make a statement.

I have this same feeling. It is the same type of situation that I experienced in 1999/2000. We came in fourth after not losing to Cavies for most of the season. We sucked it up, and came back the following year to give the fans what they deserved. A Cadets show that got them off their feet. I think Cadets will do this next year, win or lose.

• Like 2

I agree with you on the bolded part.

I always make sure to remember that the Cadets have 10 DCI championships, and for very good reason. Theyre one of the two top competing corps in the biz.

EDIT: Accidently said BD instead of The Cadets. Had Stravinsky on my mind.

Edited by JamesKPolk

I don't feel bad for the Cadets, and I don't think they feel bad for themselves. They know the game they play, but they also know the real reasons they are making music and marching a show. They are well trained and have a good understanding of potential outcomes. The members of all drum corps, I have to believe, are mostly like this. They see the big picture.

Despite what gets said on DCP, or amidst younger folks at competitions (those who are too competitive or too inexperienced with the teachings of drum corps), the Cadets season was a success. They put forth a great show, even if I had some reservations about the end, ultimately I loved that production and found great merit and artistry in their performance. They placed 3rd, and were running 2nd most of the summer. The members got to perform, travel, learn, make friends, and entertain. That is the life of drum corps. How can all this be a bad thing?

There is a win or die attitude with some, and with others there is certainly a desire to see a corps get bumped when people don't like their product. When this does happen (BD 2008, BD 2013, BD 1988) the general consensus is that somehow their summer was a failure.

They [Cadets] knew what to expect. They were prepped about the possibility. They stood tall and at attention, and they accepted their fate. What a great life lesson.

• Like 1

Just saw a post from Hopkins that they have potentially 100+ members returning for 2015.

Pretty solid base from which to start.

• Like 1

I don't feel sorry for The Cadets. So many corps elevated their performances. ( The Cadets included) The Cadets were on fire during finals. I sat in section 140 and the Cadets gave me chills for the first time this season! This is the chance you take when a small number of people stand and judge you. Another set of judges and Cadets, Bluecoats and Devils get different scores. A different set of judges and Cadets and Bluecoats switch places or Devils get a lower score or win drums! One thing for sure the world keeps spinning, The record score won't resonate outside of our small bubble and in September the process starts all over again! My 2015 preseason predictions:

1. Cadets
  2. Devils
  3. Crown
  4. Bluecoats
  5. Cavies
  6. SCV
  7. Phantom
  8. BKnights
  9. Boston
  10. Madison
  11. Blue Stars
  12. Colts

Everyone is completely missing the point of the thread.

NOT the point: Cadets got third, boo hoo

POINT OF THE THREAD: Cadets got next to zero applause at finals

I call B.S!. I was there! ( Sec 140 Row 16 Seat 18) They got a Standing Ovation! at the end and lots of applause during the show!

I call B.S!. I was there! ( Sec 140 Row 16 Seat 18) They got a Standing Ovation! at the end and lots of applause during the show!

I thought he was talking about the retreat, when the Cadets were announced in 3rd place, the crowd started "BLOOOOOOOOOO"ing

What really struck me was the look on the Cadet's CG member's face when they stepped forward to accept the award. It showed anything BUT pride and happiness.

She to me looked totally devastated.. I honestly felt bad for her.

Edited by Zeke

Cadets will be fine. As others have said the members performed great, won medals and cared-for great all summer

I'm sure the 3rd place reaction wasn't as much of a surprise for the members as we think - they know Coats were hot on their heels and that the Coats show was an extreme crowd favorite

I agree the "falling" GE scores were more an indictment of the design decision than the members performances - hopefully the powers that be will sit back, exhale and make some better decisions for 2015. Not that "3rd" is "bad" - but that I think we all recognize the design held the kids back in the end

Anyway - they'll be fine. A good life lesson for all involved

Congratulations Cadets on a great season,

George.

agreed. the reaction wasn't an anti Cadets thing, it was a pro Bloo thing