Fewer changes during the season now?

It seems to me the shows we see at finals now are 'essentially' the same shows we see come out in June. There are so many fewer changes now than there used to be.

Is that because core staff doesnt travel with the corps all season now, or the programs are so planned out in the off-season that there aren't really ways to fit changes in easily?

Just an observation. It kind of goes hand in hand with how little placements change now over the course of a season.

I think design teams have gotten stubborn over the years as well. They do what they want when they want and they don't really react to fans or judges as much. I know that back in the day our director would ask us our thoughts as members and ask us for ideas and we would give feedback that actually mattered to them. It seems now a days that the directors know what they want to do and don't see a need to change things up as much as fine tune and clean. That's just my observation.

A lot of the changes corps make you might never notice unless you see them night after night. There are still some large changes, but nothing like the old days when a corps might go away for a week and completely rewrite their show. That would be an almost overwhelming challenge for a corps today, because the programs are several orders of magnitude more demanding and complex than they were forty years ago.

Stop by any corps rehearsal and see how many changes are made on an almost daily basis. It's incredible how these kids retain all this info.

• Like 4

It seems to me the shows we see at finals now are 'essentially' the same shows we see come out in June. There are so many fewer changes now than there used to be.

Is that because core staff doesnt travel with the corps all season now, or the programs are so planned out in the off-season that there aren't really ways to fit changes in easily?

Just an observation. It kind of goes hand in hand with how little placements change now over the course of a season.

I think it relates to the much longer and more intense Spring Training that they all do now. While planned and unplanned changes still take place during the tour, they have so much more time to flesh out what does and doesn't work early on, that the major kinks get worked out in advance.

• Like 2

I saw the top eight perform three weeks before finals, and most of them had major changes by finals night. SCV didn't even have their ending in by then. Crown got rid of the frisbees in the guard in their second piece and the last forty five seconds or so was completely new. The Cavaliers overhauled the entire ending as well, and it was 1000X better than what they had in Warrensburg. Phantom changed a ton, getting rid of those huge black tubes just one example. And The Cadets... well they went full on "American Variations".

Why go to the trouble of changing when the judges will give the title to BD regardless?

Troll.png

One of the bigger and kind of disappointing musical changes was to Crown's closer this year. By the end of the season I felt like it had very little impact musically. Compare it to what they played at the beginning of the season…