George Hopkins response to the critics

Having class has its own rewards.

• Like 1

I thought this thread was going to be about his tarp decision....

Cadets' decorum at finals is pretty well known. I have no problem with it; actually kind of prefer it to the more loosey, goosey approach, but that's just how I was taught in my marching experience.

• Like 2

At least Bluecoats' staff put out a show that they knew we would love.

Not reposting the rest of your diatribe, since your dislike for George and distaste for the Cadets is pretty clearly stated. But this one is a real corker. You can prove this, how? Bloo's show was fantastic, well executed and well received, and rewarded with a silver medal on Saturday night. But c'mon, friend, it's quite a stretch to describe an edgy, esoteric program with unfamiliar music as "a show that they knew we would love," and quite a presumption on your part as far the mindset and foresight of the Bluecoats' design team. Fair to say, Cadets' tribute to great American presidents was a pretty safe bet as well, arguably moreso, trading on familar themes and music as it did, and they were likewise rewarded for their program and the quality of their performance.

Perhaps even more egregious, to me anyway: your self-assured assumption that the drum corps community in its totatlity shares your opinion is a flippant (dare I say, big-headed?) generalization. By whose authority do you presume to speak for a large and varied group of individuals as "we?" I don't recall responding to your poll regarding my programming tastes.

And what does it have to do with anything, anyway? You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. If you don't like George and/or don't like the Cadets or the way they do things, then rant on, by all means. But don't flail around with over the top generalizations and meaningless sniping remarks.

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 4

When did they stop the tradition of exiting in reverse order of appearance? Is it now the corps' choice when to leave?

Well actually the tradition I remember was exiting in reverse order of finals finish, but it ended years ago. I'm going to say at least a decade. You need somebody who aged out the last time it was done or the first time it wasn't to tell you for sure. No traditional finale is another dead horse argument that resurfaces on DCP every so often--see dancing guards, Bb trumpets, electronics, narration, and now trombones--so go for it LOL. DCI ended it because retreat was taking too long, and they wanted to turn out the lights and go back to the hotel.

EDIT: Oh and it sort of is and sort of isn't corps' choice when to leave. The announcer tells them to clear the field about 10-15 minutes after scores are announced. Repeatedly.

Edited by Peel Paint

But what about the waffles

• Like 2

Well actually the tradition I remember was exiting in reverse order of finals finish, but it ended years ago. I'm going to say at least a decade. You need somebody who aged out the last time it was done or the first time it wasn't to tell you for sure. No traditional finale is another dead horse argument that resurfaces on DCP every so often--see dancing guards, Bb trumpets, electronics, narration, and now trombones--so go for it LOL. DCI ended it because retreat was taking too long, and they wanted to turn out the lights and go back to the hotel.

EDIT: Oh and it sort of is and sort of isn't corps' choice when to leave. The announcer tells them to clear the field about 10-15 minutes after scores are announced. Repeatedly.

Are there any clips.. anywhere... of retreats with corps playing off?

But what about the waffles

...so THAT's what picture was on the tarps!

Lol...sheeeesh!

First of all, I do not have a "dislike" for GH. He's one of the best things that have happened to DCI. Some would argue he may be one of the worst things, and I understand their points...but certainly more good than bad.

It's just that what I got out of GH in that posting was that he was whining about getting 3rd. Telling his kids to be prepared for the world to end.

Putting myself in his shoes, yeah I might have done the same thing, but I would probably have said something positive instead, about getting all the way to another medal.

The activity is competitive, sure. I lot of fans like the competitive nature. I do, too, but only to a very certain extent. We all know the judging is mostly opinion based and relative.

So I don't put a whole lot of thought into who scored what, how they ranked, etc. I just want to see shows that I can enjoy a lot. And The Cadets have put out a lot of shows that I have enjoyed immensely.

Yes, their show this year was a little stale. That is why they were so far behind the group that won, and also behind another group with a fresher, more exciting show, at the end.

Before you blast me for calling their show "stale", just try to think about what I meant by that. And also put this show next to shows they've done recently, and compare them.

Side x Side was a light year ahead of whatever they did this year. I don't even remember their theme title. Angels and Demons was a much fresher program. etc.

I was only suggesting that if GH really wanted to keep silver or gold, he should probably find some designers who can add some fresh ideas into the mix. Not suggesting they get rid of Sactig or anything...fresh ideas are what keeps the activity moving, and to be honest, their program was lacking a bit in that department. Blue Devils had the best show theme idea, by far.

My life philosophy has always been to cherish what you have now, and to count your blessings. Anything good that comes in ones life is a bonus and should never be taken for granted.

My mom passed away Friday night from complications from cancer. She was surrounded by family and friends, and went peacefully to one of her favorite songs, sung by her best friend.

I don't mean to put my business out in public like this, I'm normally very private. But I would have gladly exchanged places with GH. There are some things to be disappointed about. Winning a Bronze medal in one of the most difficult, physical and musical activities in the entire world, is not something to be disappointed about.

Having said that, congrats to all the Cadets members for their Bronze medal. I know they worked their a** off. Same with all the other corps. Always appreciate the work they do. I've been there on tour volunteering, I know what they go through.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Lol...sheeeesh!

First of all, I do not have a "dislike" for GH. He's one of the best things that have happened to DCI. Some would argue he may be one of the worst things, and I understand their points...but certainly more good than bad.

It's just that what I got out of GH in that posting was that he was whining about getting 3rd. Telling his kids to be prepared for the world to end.

Putting myself in his shoes, yeah I might have done the same thing, but I would probably have said something positive instead, about getting all the way to another medal.

The activity is competitive, sure. I lot of fans like the competitive nature. I do, too, but only to a very certain extent. We all know the judging is mostly opinion based and relative.

So I don't put a whole lot of thought into who scored what, how they ranked, etc. I just want to see shows that I can enjoy a lot. And The Cadets have put out a lot of shows that I have enjoyed immensely.

Yes, their show this year was a little stale. That is why they were so far behind the group that won, and also behind another group with a fresher, more exciting show, at the end.

Before you blast me for calling their show "stale", just try to think about what I meant by that. And also put this show next to shows they've done recently, and compare them.

Side x Side was a light year ahead of whatever they did this year. I don't even remember their theme title. Angels and Demons was a much fresher program. etc.

I was only suggesting that if GH really wanted to keep silver or gold, he should probably find some designers who can add some fresh ideas into the mix. Not suggesting they get rid of Sactig or anything...fresh ideas are what keeps the activity moving, and to be honest, their program was lacking a bit in that department. Blue Devils had the best show theme idea, by far.

My life philosophy has always been to cherish what you have now, and to count your blessings. Anything good that comes in ones life is a bonus and should never be taken for granted.

My mom passed away Friday night from complications from cancer. She was surrounded by family and friends, and went peacefully to one of her favorite songs, sung by her best friend.

I don't mean to put my business out in public like this, I'm normally very private. But I would have gladly exchanged places with GH. There are some things to be disappointed about. Winning a Bronze medal in one of the most difficult, physical and musical activities in the entire world, is not something to be disappointed about.

Having said that, congrats to all the Cadets members for their Bronze medal. I know they worked their a** off. Same with all the other corps. Always appreciate the work they do. I've been there on tour volunteering, I know what they go through.

all Im going to say is So very sorry for your Loss...puts everything else in the world in a much different persepective.