Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

Actually, Lincoln, and sorry to veer off just a little, but SCV doesn't seem to have this problem. Right now, Crown has no place for percussion. This corps is the paragon of brass w/percussion accompaniment, which is one of the reasons they struggled so this year. I think SCV has a good balance in the lines, and I think with the right arrangements, they could bring back most any music from the past.

Sorry to be a Cadets honk, but the musical arrangements and marching quality in their show was Silver medal quality, except for one judging panel....IMHO, an outlier based on the entire tour.

Cadets 2013 music book >>>> Cadets 2014 music book.

2014 had no energy whatsoever.

Good point.

Audience wise, I do not think there would be many complaints, and given that I loved 2012 when the SCV show closed with "Music of the Night," I'd be among them. I do believe corps should create shows that are competitive and speak to the broad drum corps audience. "Phantom" could win the audience, but I'm not sure it would work competitively. That being said, people did say "this again" in 1989, and the show was different enough that it was not "this again." That being said, SCV did recreate "Scheherazade" but The score has a timeless quality that I do not think "Phantom" has so while it would win an audience, it might not win with judges.

Regarding the make up of the audience, most shows I attend are in the Northeast, where I would say 50% of the audience would be 45+, lifelong fans or alums, 25% would be high school/college age, and the rest occasional or first time attendees. I attended Atlanta and Charlotte this year since I could not attend Allentown or Indy, and though I'm only in my early 50's, I felt like I should be driving back to a retirement home instead of a hotel. The audience was so young, so excited, and enthusiastic. The corps were idolized. In Indy, the seats are practically empty at the beginning of prelims. In Atlanta, everyone was seated and ready for action from the very beginning. A great experience. The "this again" crowd could be in some stadiums, but certainly not all.

Very true. It would depend on where they're performing but I think that overall, the audience reception would be great. Especially if they managed to find a new clever magic trick to do at the end. I'm bet they're less limited in what they can do now than they were in 1989.

Cadets 2013 music book >>>> Cadets 2014 music book.

2014 had no energy whatsoever.

Very true. It would depend on where they're performing but I think that overall, the audience reception would be great. Especially if they managed to find a new clever magic trick to do at the end. I'm bet they're less limited in what they can do now than they were in 1989.

YES, there's more you can do today,lighting,video screens, more electronics, more can probably be done with the theme All those extras are coming soon, I have absolutely no doubt of that. The magic trick was very cool at the time, EASY to figure out but nonetheless very cool for the time. A little creativeness in 2015 I'm sure there can be some cool effects, Not that I want to hear another rehash from SCV. I said it before , I would not be surprised to see a rehash of FIDDLER, going wayyyyyyyy back and a part of the SCV history. Who knows, I personally thought the Devils Staircase was so cool and different for them and never got the credit it deserved. :shutup:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

YES, there's more you can do today,lighting,video screens, more electronics, more can probably be done with the theme All those extras are coming soon, I have absolutely no doubt of that. The magic trick was very cool at the time, EASY to figure out but nonetheless very cool for the time. A little creativeness in 2015 I'm sure there can be some cool effects, Not that I want to hear another rehash from SCV. I said it before , I would not be surprised to see a rehash of FIDDLER, going wayyyyyyyy back and a part of the SCV history. Who knows, I personally thought the Devils Staircase was so cool and different for them and very much never got the credit it deserved. :shutup:

I loved that show as well!

• Like 1

The problem with anyone doing POTO is that not only is the horse dead, it was an ugly horse to begin with.

Agree to disagree. Really beautiful music.

• Like 1

Agree to disagree. Really beautiful music.

O..K., with all your support of SCV doing "Phantom" again, I am beginning to wonder, are you really Andrew Lloyd Webber trying to get more in royalties from your most popular show? :tounge2:

Edited by Tim K

I'd like to see Vanguard do Phantom again. I think with modern brass and arrangments, they could put on quite a spectacle. And based on the reaction 10 seconds of Music of the Night got a few years ago in their closer, crowds would love it.

Mike

There's nothing in the world I would love more than for SCV to reboot their Phantom show. I really do believe this is the perfect time to do it. I will warn everyone though that if it happens June-August will be a non-stop tear fest for me. Being of the generation that is too young to have experienced 1989 this is something I've been desperately craving ever since I first saw the video for that show. They have the staff, they have the kids. It's time for them to really bring Lucas Oil down.

• Like 1

O..K., with all your support of SCV doing "Phantom" again, I am beginning to wonder, are you really Andrew Lloyd Webber trying to get more in royalties from your most popular show? :tounge2:

Heh not quite. Just a big fan of the whole broadway show. Definitely my favorite.