Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

Another good option is 2017; that's when SCV celebrates its 50th anniversary.

i agree that would be a very good opoutinty to do this show again

Maybe my intent was not clear...to me the risk of doing POTO now, it would be almost impossible to live up to expectations.

What expectations? They're under the same amount of expectation (to get in the top 3 if not place 1st) as they are every year. The theme of their show does not affect that.

Now, in 1989, SCV did repeat much of what it did, though not all, of what happened in 1988, but as some posters have mentioned, this was before many people who march today were even born. if we look at the 1970's, SCV did repeat some music, but in this case some of the kids parents would have been infants or in early grammar school. However, it was not uncommon at this time for musical pieces to be repeated, and in some cases entire shows.

Since 1990, SCV has repeated one show: Scheherazade, which was hardly a replica, and some are treating it as if all SCV does is repeat itself, which really is not the case. There are good reasons for SCV to do Phantom again, and reasons not to do it (I am in this camp) but of they do repeat it, it is not as if all SCV doe sis repeat past performances.

• Like 1

Now, in 1989, SCV did repeat much of what it did, though not all, of what happened in 1988, but as some posters have mentioned, this was before many people who march today were even born. if we look at the 1970's, SCV did repeat some music, but in this case some of the kids parents would have been infants or in early grammar school. However, it was not uncommon at this time for musical pieces to be repeated, and in some cases entire shows.

Since 1990, SCV has repeated one show: Scheherazade, which was hardly a replica, and some are treating it as if all SCV does is repeat itself, which really is not the case. There are good reasons for SCV to do Phantom again, and reasons not to do it (I am in this camp) but of they do repeat it, it is not as if all SCV doe sis repeat past performances.

This is a good point, and to SCV's credit Les Mis (not a re-do of an SCV show, but a fairly over-done show in the marching arts world) and Scheherazade were VERY well done productions. I was in the "on no: not again" camp for both of those shows at their announcements, but SCV proved me wrong both years and put out two awesome, crowd-friendly shows. IMO, they've built up 'good will,' credibility, whatever you want to call it so that IF they were to decide "hey lets re-do our highest-scoring, World Champion fan-favorite," even though I would rather hear SCV continue to be the vanguard, forefront of the activity and explore new ideas, I can give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what they would do.

They seriously need to open up a bar for people who want to come and see cover band corps.

No more reboots!

It seems often (in the more modern era of early 90's-now) if a corps revisits a theme or full show they place worse than the first time. SCV redoing Fiddler in 1992 didn't go well for them placement-wise, Cadets redoing WSS netted them 2nd in 94 (after winning in 84), and 3rd in 2009. Firebird Suite put Cavaliers in Top 5 in 1988, and then 7th in 97. Scheherazade put SCV in 3rd place in 2004 their highest placement between 2004-now, and their highest placement since their 1999 Championship), 4th place in 2014. It seems as if corps get rewarded more for exploring new stuff than redoing older favorites. I'm sure there are examples, but especially at the top levels of the activity revisiting full show ideas & music seems to not put the corps as well or better as the first time they did.

** EDIT **

On the flip side, SCV has done competitively well the last two years doing two shows that are commonly done in the marching world. Les Mis. and Scheherazade netted them their highest placement since the first time they did Scheherazade in 2004, so there's no arguing those show concepts worked for SCV.

**edited again to fix my stupid typo **

Edited by perc2100

It seems often (in the more modern era of early 90's-now) if a corps revisits a theme or full show they place worse than the first time. SCV redoing Fiddler in 1992 didn't go well for them placement-wise, Cadets redoing WSS netted them 2nd in 94 (after winning in 84), and 3rd in 2009. Firebird Suite put Cavaliers in Top 5 in 1988, and then 7th in 97. Scheherazade put SCV in 3rd place in 2004 (their highest placement to date), 4th place in 2014. It seems as if corps get rewarded more for exploring new stuff than redoing older favorites. I'm sure there are examples, but especially at the top levels of the activity revisiting full show ideas & music seems to not put the corps as well or better as the first time they did.

** EDIT **

On the flip side, SCV has done competitively well the last two years doing two shows that are commonly done in the marching world. Les Mis. and Scheherazade netted them their highest placement since the first time they did Scheherazade in 2004, so there's no arguing those show concepts worked for SCV.

I'm speechless.