Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

I say they wait until "Phantom" closes on Broadway. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

I would enjoy a shaw and rennick version of phantom of the opera. And they still have the red jackets from last year so they could pull off an homage to the late 80s uniforms. But they shouldnt do it. Partly because Scheherazade was one of their best and fan favorite shows of that era of scv, and it fell flat for too many people (not me) when they did a new take on it this year.

So imagine the disappointment with what is regarded as the best show of all time? (One of them).

I was surprised to see them touch phantom of the opera with the starry night show. But i think thats the only way to do it.

As others hinted at, its likely Scheherazade wasnt their first choice in material for 2014, but it ended up being the one they were forced into.

If they want to push for medals i would think they need something new to do that though. A concept show more than a story show. It just seems that the judges are rewarding the former more in recent years, with exceptions of course.

Please, not Phantom of the Opera again. I enjoyed it in 89 and don't want to risk tarnishing the memory with a new version. SCV needs something new and fresh.

Edited by Railfan

I'd be fairly confident that they will do something new next year but I also think they will stick with the "big production" approach

I enjoyed "Scheherazade" this year partly because I believed it was so underrated and underappreciated ten years ago. I believe it finally got the credit due and now can be put to rest. Regarding "Phantom of the Opera," I believe the 88 and 89 productions, though somewhat different, are iconic and need to remain in our hearts and memories. I just don't think it could eb done again and match the excitement of the past renditions. It would be high tech, but I don't think it would be as memorable as the original productions. Nice idea though.

I enjoyed "Scheherazade" this year partly because I believed it was so underrated and underappreciated ten years ago. I believe it finally got the credit due and now can be put to rest.

it was 3rd ten years ago, and 4th this year (and if Crown could drum, or SCV couldn't, it'd have been 5th). Probably about as much of that type of "appreciation" as the organization wants.

Edited by Slingerland

I'd like to see a total updated and modern version of Fiddler on the Roof. Except the Bottle Dance would have to be like it was in the olden times. People would go absolutely bonkers!

• Like 1