Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

I'm curious. Does anyone think a good jazz show from SCV would be a good fit or just too weird? Or redoing Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra?

Now that you say it, I just can't imagine SCV doing jazz, but I think that's also a great reason for them to do it! They could pull it off and would be one hell of a surprise to everyone!

Edited by theyremovingit

Cappybara, you need only look to SCV 2 years ago for that :)

Oh come on 30 seconds of music of the night doesn't count :smile:

• Like 1

No more redux! And no more Broadway-style productions! SCV needs to bring back the late-90s intensity and aggression!

The judges seem to prefer redux and/or Broadway-style productions to what SCV offered from 2005 through 2012.

Meanwhile, in Open Class, Genesis has announced that their 2015 show will be Phantom of the Opera.

• Like 1

I don't want to see SCV redo POTO again, twice in two years was enough. I do want to see SCV revisit the SCV style of marching where they pick up their toes, have clean feet, don't have mental errors during the 2nd week of August and can maintain intervals rather than the Cavaguard/Vangadiers approach now. I want to see a show called "Black", where the name is a mystery until the week of finals when they spread a 57,000+ square foot black tarp over LOS field that has only a center stripe and an area delineated for the pit, and then march a modern show with no yard lines, hash marks or props. The "props arms race" is getting out of hand, too.

• Like 2

The "props arms race" is getting out of hand, too.

Did anyone else notice how one of the Big, Loud, and Live announcers mentioned having heard that phrase from one of the corps directors?

Be careful what you wish for, SCV fans. Cadets finally did an Appalachian Spring show this year - you may check out the Cadets' thread for the year to see how universally beloved it was.

Modern DCI is great at a lot of things, but not so much the things that made late-80s DCI awesome. Designers should play to the strengths of the current system and not try to recreate legendary shows from the past.

By large I agree with this. The judging system has changed a lot, and as much as I'd love to hear a whole 12 minutes dedicated to Phantom of the Opera, I would only really enjoy it the way they did in in 88 or 89: raw, powerful, and loud. If they revived that show it would have to be really changed to fit today's system.

That being said, I'm not sure if it would be the smartest move to do so, but I'd love to see Phantom do a POTO show.

I want to see a show called "Black", where the name is a mystery until the week of finals when they spread a 57,000+ square foot black tarp over LOS field that has only a center stripe and an area delineated for the pit, and then march a modern show with no yard lines, hash marks or props.

This, I think, is now my biggest hope for a show.

Bring on the Avant Vanguard. Loved 2001, 2003 and 2010. I was left cold by 2009, 2013, 2014, and (I know this is SCV high treason) 2004.

no more redux! and no more broadway-style productions! SCV needs to bring back the late-90s intensity and aggression!!!

I'll second the no more retreads!! I don't necessarily mind broadway-style productions as long as they're great ones (and SCV surprised me with a great Les Mis show not too long ago).

I would love more shows like their 97, 98, 99 productions (which were also all Top-3 finishers)