Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope SCV steers clear of the program music approach to drum corps. They've done that two years in a row now, and I have enjoyed both shows quite a bit, but I don't want to see them fall in a rut like Phantom has. I hope they change it up and do something completely unexpected, while maintaining their focus on pleasing the crowd.

The judges seem to prefer redux and/or Broadway-style productions to what SCV offered from 2005 through 2012.

True,

Crown did an Other Worldly show theme this year and suffered one of the largest placement falls in the World Class Division... meanwhile Cadets were in 2nd place for most of the season with a pandering, cheesy, Faux Patriotism show.

Bottom line, it really doesn't matter if you play Jingle Bells or obscure Music nobody has ever heard of.... its all in how its executed and makes these older DCI judges impressed.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Didn't one of the major Open class corps already announce that PotO was their program for 2015? Seems a bit redundant to have two corps doing similar programs now that Open Class is beating some World Class entries in World Class championships. Somewhat like Troopers and Cadets doing Lincoln; very different, but it would have been a struggle back to back. With under 3 dozen competing corps now, variety seems preferred.

Didn't one of the major Open class corps already announce that PotO was their program for 2015? Seems a bit redundant to have two corps doing similar programs now that Open Class is beating some World Class entries in World Class championships. Somewhat like Troopers and Cadets doing Lincoln; very different, but it would have been a struggle back to back. With under 3 dozen competing corps now, variety seems preferred.

I'd say a combination of variety and quality in both compositional excellence and execution. Thinking of Troopers and Cadets....both challenging bits of Americana....for me, the Bocook brass book was very well written....listen to what is happening in the inner brass parts..that's just one example.

• Like 1

I'd say anything > 15 years is "new and fresh" to a LARGE portion of the audience. We hear all the time in threads that the audience is made up of a large percentage of parents, high-school band kids, fairly recent MM's, etc. A bunch weren't even born when they did Phantom way-back-when.

Know who my daughter's (and 2 of her friends this year, all 14 yr old) and son's favorite shows were past 2 years? SCV. They don't even know what Phantom of the Opera is.

• Like 1

I'd say anything > 15 years is "new and fresh" to a LARGE portion of the audience. We hear all the time in threads that the audience is made up of a large percentage of parents, high-school band kids, fairly recent MM's, etc. A bunch weren't even born when they did Phantom way-back-when.

Know who my daughter's (and 2 of her friends this year, all 14 yr old) and son's favorite shows were past 2 years? SCV. They don't even know what Phantom of the Opera is.

Exactly. Only the most hardcore or oldest fans will even know that SCV has done a Phantom of the Opera show before.