What in the Bleep happen with Scoring in 1996 Finals?

So I'm going through some scores from DCI Finals past and was shocked to see the scores from Semi-Finals to Finals. Perhaps I was so blown away by Phantom coming from behind and tying BD for the title and I didn't pay attention to the scoring changes and place changes that took place. So here goes.

DCI%201996.PNG

So did the bottom 9 Corps have bad performances? Did it rain? Did Phantom Regiment performance wake up the judges? I assume the performances at Semi's were that good. Keep in mind back then our first viewing of the all these shows was when DVD's or VHS tapes were delivered, so I have no idea how these Corps performed in the Semi's. 5 point drop off for the Colts? Imagine this happening today, the DCP would crash. :wall::fight::mad:

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

Bump aka mulligan

So I'm going through some scores from DCI Finals past and was shocked to see the scores from Semi-Finals to Finals. Perhaps I was so blown away by Phantom coming from behind and tying BD for the title and I didn't pay attention to the scoring changes and place changes that took place. So here goes.

DCI%201996.PNG

So did the bottom 9 Corps have bad performances? Did it rain? Did Phantom Regiment performance wake up the judges? I assume the performances at Semi's were that good. Keep in mind back then our first viewing of the all these shows was when DVD's or VHS tapes were delivered, so I have no idea how these Corps performed in the Semi's. 5 point drop off for the Colts? Imagine this happening today, the DCP would crash. :wall::fight::mad:

Compare Quarterfinals, too. Phantom was the ONLY corps to have their highest score on Finals night. Just a weird anomaly of a year.

Oh I don't know, a Phantom *Regimen* would probably keep all of us old former marchers in shape.

• Like 1

I aged out with Crown in 96. I don't remember finals being a bad run. All three finals week performances felt fairly solid from my perspective and there weren't any performance oddities like timing tears. The staff didn't talk to us about any glaring mistakes from night to night. I think we peaked before finals week and ended up having three identical performances. I don't know if our quarters and semis runs were as horribly out of tune as our finals run, but I've always assumed so, being that (as I said before) finals didn't feel any different to me.

I did not expect place over Colts that night. I was convinced we were 11th. I've always wondered if Colts had a bad run that night, but I've never been able to talk to anyone who was with the corps or staff that season. With our placement over Colts, Magic and Crossmen tying and Bluecoats leaping over both of them, I think the crowd was primed for a major upset at the top.

Only 3 corps stayed in the same positions from quarters to finals. Blue Knights stayed 12th, Magic stayed 8th but tied Crossmen, and Blue Devils stayed in 1st and shared that with Phantom.

I always assumed the lower scores were the result of numbers management to leave room at the top.

trivia: the quarterfinals score of 85.6 was Crown's highest score to date, and 10th in finals was the highest placement

This was certainly one of the wildest years for finals. It's as if they locked the judges for each night into a hotel room with no electricity, no cell phones, no web, nothing. Just food and a place to sleep. Each was only allowed out for their show (thu, fri, sat).

In reality, I actually have a good friend who called it on Thursday. I sure didn't. To me Cadets were the only corps that could possibly catch BD, and after semifinals it was setup for them. But my friend said to another one of our friends (a huge Phantom fan) that he though Phantom was way underscored and could be in the hunt. The next day they pop a 95.5, and after their finals performance my buddy felt they were easily as good as BD. He was right. Tie!!!

Our friend, who is the PR fan, actually pulled out a cigar, lit-up, and smoked it in the stadium while watching the rest of retreat. :-)

Wow. I had forgotten how topsy-turvy finals week had transpired that year. if you look across all 12 corps, from quarters, semis, and finals, there's quite a range of score movement going on. Increases and drops of all sizes. More like what you'd expect taking place over a week to 10 days --- not 3 days. Would be quite an exercise to watch all 12 over the 3-day period again -- but I think well worth the effort.

• Like 1

I aged out with Madison in '96. That was certainly a strange three days. After Thursday, I was hoping we'd pass the black team and get into 4th. I don't remember SCV beating us at all that year (in fact, before I looked at this, I would have said we finished 5th at Finals...obviously not!).

But, I don't think he scores as a whole are that hard to explain. The first two nights, they wanted finals scores to start around 85, to give room for all the lower corps. On Saturday, they bumped the floor down to around 80. The change may have been more extreme than often in '96, but I'm pretty sure you'll find similar trends in other years...