Hey Corps Directors and Designers

I found 90% of the shows this year very entertaining.

• Like 1

Pretty much what I see people write every year for x number of years. It's funny, the only time I read someone say an end of year review that was negative (barring the chicken little "sky is falling!" people) was 2001. I still remember their summary "well, this year was better than a good day at work." HA!

well i've been more than critical over the years. it takes a lot to get me moved like I was this year top to bottom.

DCI should schedule a season where every drum corp must perform a "classic-traditional" show.

I kind of like the figure skating paradigm, with a short program (including required elements) and a longer free skate program. Imagine a DCI version of this -- a 4 to 5 minute program with one or two songs and a list of required elements (whole brass line rotating box drill, Rockford file rifle toss sequence, 16 counts of high mark time, etc., etc.), and then a standard show.

I was thoroughly entertained this year.

DCI should schedule a season where every drum corp must perform a "classic-traditional" show.

You could call it "Jurassic Park & Blow"! :tounge2:

• Like 2

As much as I appreciate classic-traditional drum corps, I'd much rather see something more new and innovative than the last each season.

• Like 1

I kind of like the figure skating paradigm, with a short program (including required elements) and a longer free skate program. Imagine a DCI version of this -- a 4 to 5 minute program with one or two songs and a list of required elements (whole brass line rotating box drill, Rockford file rifle toss sequence, 16 counts of high mark time, etc., etc.), and then a standard show.

Regardless of whether or not this is something I'd like to see, (and oh my lord it's not,) consider the practical difficulties of adding another 4 min. to each corp's show. There's currently 17 min. scheduled between each performance for the championship events. Now you're talking 21 min. So you're adding at an absolute minimum...

- 48 min. to Finals

- 100 min. to Semis

and using the number of corps participating this year...

- close to 2.5 hours to Prelims (148 min.) which is already over 13 hours of performances as it is.

I love seeing as much drum corps as I can at a show, but that's just......yeah, you go on and enjoy it without me.

You can tell me how thrilling those 37 times you watched a successfully executed rotating box at 120 bpm with no frills was later.