Scran'n Predictions....Here we go!

Actually corps are using FB for their information far more than DCp. That should tell you what they think of here versus FB. They have control over their own pages on Facebook. Here unless an admin steps in, they really don't.

Why should corps have "their own pages" on an independent discussion forum? Do corps review themselves in Drum Corps World?

• Like 1

Actually corps are using FB for their information far more than DCp. That should tell you what they think of here versus FB. They have control over their own pages on Facebook. Here unless an admin steps in, they really don't.

i believe it. DCP is dieing.

• Like 1

i believe it. DCP is dieing.

Got some evidence to back up that assertion?

Facebook is a great place for individual corps to get their message out. When used correctly, it's a PR goldmine. Some corps do it well, some don't. Facebook groups, however, are a different story all together. They can be good, but can also be horrific. A couple of examples:

The Drum & Bugle Corps from 2000 to Present Day, 1990's Drum & Bugle Corps, 1980's Drum & Bugle Corps groups are all vibrant, active, and pretty well moderated. Also of note are groups like DCI Tubas/Contras and similar restricted subject groups with a clear set of posting and commenting rules.

On the other hand, the Drum Corps Planet Facebook group has quickly become the Mos Eisley Spaceport of the drum corps internet (a wretched hive of scum and villainy) because it's essentially unmoderated at worst, or selectively moderated at best, and the posting and commenting rules are routinely ignored as a matter of course. The fact that it's even affiliated with the main DCP site is a bit baffling.

Moderated public forums like DCP provide a good place for discussion, for good or bad. Why many of the individual corps try to ignore it (as a public face) while spending hours combing the site for every little mention of their corps (the reality) is a bit hypocritical. One reason for this is some corps feeling "they don't get what we do". Well, if we don't get what you do, that's your fault as a corps, not the fault of DCP or it's user base. I always laugh when a corps has a no-DCP policy for staff and members. Instead of using it as a teaching moment, they outright ban it (but still rush to read every little post...go figure).

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Why should corps have "their own pages" on an independent discussion forum? Do corps review themselves in Drum Corps World?

I never said they should have their own page on a discussion forum. I did say why they would find an advantage to turn to FB as opposed to DCp.

Also count in the millions more people who will see their product on FB over DCp. There is definitely an advantage to there compared to here.

The pictures are easier to download on FB, same with video.

This place isn't the easiest to do those things with.

So yes, FB is in the position of being adventageous to the corps, while DCp is not.

So yes, FB is in the position of being adventageous to the corps, while DCp is not.

Well, it can be, but most corps don't understand how to make it advantageous. The can't control it, so they fear it to some degree. That said, no FB group or page will ever approach the sense of community that DCP can. Just log in to DCP on any DCI regional night, and check the members online count. The DCA forum thread for finals isn't any different, just a smaller scale.

• Like 2

I never said they should have their own page on a discussion forum. I did say why they would find an advantage to turn to FB as opposed to DCp.

Also count in the millions more people who will see their product on FB over DCp. There is definitely an advantage to there compared to here.

Well, you said that a problem for corps with DCP was that they don't "have control of their own pages ... unless an admin steps in". Since the only pages here where an admin would step in are discussions by other people of those corps... well, I think you can see why I misunderstood you.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Not being on Facebook, I'll admit to ignorance about its workings and advantages or disadvantages. If there are discussions and reviews on Facebook as good in quality and conveniently organized as those on DCP,* maybe I should look into it.

*For instance, are there Facebook discussion threads for each of this year's shows?

Got some evidence to back up that assertion?

Facebook is a great place for individual corps to get their message out. When used correctly, it's a PR goldmine. Some corps do it well, some don't. Facebook groups, however, are a different story all together. They can be good, but can also be horrific. A couple of examples:

The Drum & Bugle Corps from 2000 to Present Day, 1990's Drum & Bugle Corps, 1980's Drum & Bugle Corps groups are all vibrant, active, and pretty well moderated. Also of note are groups like DCI Tubas/Contras and similar restricted subject groups with a clear set of posting and commenting rules.

On the other hand, the Drum Corps Planet Facebook group has quickly become the Mos Eisley Spaceport of the drum corps internet (a wretched hive of scum and villainy) because it's essentially unmoderated at worst, or selectively moderated at best, and the posting and commenting rules are routinely ignored as a matter of course. The fact that it's even affiliated with the main DCP site is a bit baffling.

Moderated public forums like DCP provide a good place for discussion, for good or bad. Why many of the individual corps try to ignore it (as a public face) while spending hours combing the site for every little mention of their corps (the reality) is a bit hypocritical. One reason for this is some corps feeling "they don't get what we do". Well, if we don't get what you do, that's your fault as a corps, not the fault of DCP or it's user base. I always laugh when a corps has a no-DCP policy for staff and members. Instead of using it as a teaching moment, they outright ban it (but still rush to read every little post...go figure).

uh yeah. a lot of people, and i mean a lot of people never post here anymore. and i know maybe 60-70 right off the top of my head.

Well, you said that a problem for corps with DCP was that they don't "have control of their own pages ... unless an admin steps in". Since the only pages here where an admin would step in are discussions by other people of those corps... well, I think you can see why I misunderstood you.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Not being on Facebook, I'll admit to ignorance about its workings and advantages or disadvantages. If there are discussions and reviews on Facebook as good in quality and conveniently organized as those on DCP,* maybe I should look into it.

*For instance, are there Facebook discussion threads for each of this year's shows?

in this day and age weather it be drum corps, politics sprots you name it people go to where they read and hear the things they want to hear or read. nobody likes criticism on any level. that is now the world we live in.

while I cannot actually say every review I've read on this site is great, i do say that for the most part, they are constructive at the least. While i do not agree with some viewpoints, and do think that many people in the past hid behind their screen when they make criticisms, I will say that most of the feedback being presented has been pretty good. And in the end, no one has to actually take what we say for more than a grain of salt.

• Like 1

I use our Facebook Page and FB Groups to give the weekly video and other information more than here on DCP.. Because trying to add a video Link pictures etc takes a little more time on Here than on FB.. With my limited time I have , I can load stuff onto the Four or Five FB pages faster than trying to link things here etc.. During the winter months I use DCP more for Camp up dates.. I have more time. then..

I think that is what Liz was getting at with we can control it better. Lets say Manage it easier.

As for Public forums we just stay off.. We all know people can read one sentence several different ways depending on what mood they are in and instead of what Chris said its Did you hear what the Cabs said. so we just do what we have to on the field and hope everyone enjoys our show. So with that said.

hope everyone is enjoy this DCA Season .. Me I like the reviews and my entertainment is actually reading you all bicker back and forth. I respect all your opinions and Hope you ALL go to what ever shows are remaining in your Area's..

• Like 2