Scran'n Predictions....Here we go!

Got some evidence to back up that assertion?

Facebook is a great place for individual corps to get their message out. When used correctly, it's a PR goldmine. Some corps do it well, some don't. Facebook groups, however, are a different story all together. They can be good, but can also be horrific. A couple of examples:

The Drum & Bugle Corps from 2000 to Present Day, 1990's Drum & Bugle Corps, 1980's Drum & Bugle Corps groups are all vibrant, active, and pretty well moderated. Also of note are groups like DCI Tubas/Contras and similar restricted subject groups with a clear set of posting and commenting rules.

On the other hand, the Drum Corps Planet Facebook group has quickly become the Mos Eisley Spaceport of the drum corps internet (a wretched hive of scum and villainy) because it's essentially unmoderated at worst, or selectively moderated at best, and the posting and commenting rules are routinely ignored as a matter of course. The fact that it's even affiliated with the main DCP site is a bit baffling.

Moderated public forums like DCP provide a good place for discussion, for good or bad. Why many of the individual corps try to ignore it (as a public face) while spending hours combing the site for every little mention of their corps (the reality) is a bit hypocritical. One reason for this is some corps feeling "they don't get what we do". Well, if we don't get what you do, that's your fault as a corps, not the fault of DCP or it's user base. I always laugh when a corps has a no-DCP policy for staff and members. Instead of using it as a teaching moment, they outright ban it (but still rush to read every little post...go figure).

Many corps do have a no DCP policy, at least with postings. Some for very good reasons, agree or not. Not sure also what you mean as using it as a teaching tool. There are very few people I think even on the DCI site, alot of the same people, I guess me included. It by no means reflects any majority on any aspect of the activity BUT as a frequent poster like you I guess there are many who do contribute some to the site DCI as well as DCA. It's sifting through alot of trash at times to get to a real view. ( especially on the DCI pages)

I think ( unfortunately ) the squeaky wheel gets the attention and although it doesn't represent any majority directors do not want confrontation to some of these over the toppers.

There are a few DCI corps ( not so much this year ) that have had DCP night where kids will pick a crazy , or seems like one and they have gone back and forth acting them out with some of the rants. Quite funny I guess. This year does seem alot calmer though. Seems some of the famous posters took some weeks off....JMO from another perspective I suppose

Not sure also what you mean as using it as a teaching tool.

DCP is a great tool for teaching members how to post and comment on social media responsibly. As you know, particularly on the DCI and even more specifically with younger corps members, staff members are constantly required to teach beyond the dots and notes that make up the show. They are constantly required to teach everything from social skills personal responsibility, from time management to how to do your laundry. Teaching good social media skills is a part of that.

I remember a couple of years ago when the Cavaliers required all members to turn their phones in to corps staff before getting on the bus. Was that a missed teaching moment or what?

• Like 3

DCP is a great tool for teaching members how to post and comment on social media responsibly. As you know, particularly on the DCI and even more specifically with younger corps members, staff members are constantly required to teach beyond the dots and notes that make up the show. They are constantly required to teach everything from social skills personal responsibility, from time management to how to do your laundry. Teaching good social media skills is a part of that.

I remember a couple of years ago when the Cavaliers required all members to turn their phones in to corps staff before getting on the bus. Was that a missed teaching moment or what?

Yes, I totally agree about teaching beyond dots on paper or notes etc etc. Unfortunately some do learn the hard way. I have had to send DCI members home right before championships on more than 1 occasion. I do get what you are saying BUT I also see the flip side of that. I think a member getting involved in some of the coo- coo crazy does not benefit the mission, goal, or focus. It really is unfortunate because there are some posters that could add to a members knowledge but as I said sifting through many others becomes a task. I do know the cell phone thing with Cavies, I also know of a corps that you had to hand over facebook entry so it could be monitored. Now 99% of the time it wasn't an issue BUT then those few ( who got sent home ) it really was because they were sharing things they shouldn't have in the eyes of staff, Admin. as well as other members.

I guess it's just the nature of the internet today. The good and Bad but also the entitlement age of everyone feels the need to know everything or entitled to it.

Well, it can be, but most corps don't understand how to make it advantageous. The can't control it, so they fear it to some degree. That said, no FB group or page will ever approach the sense of community that DCP can. Just log in to DCP on any DCI regional night, and check the members online count. The DCA forum thread for finals isn't any different, just a smaller scale.

a corps facebook page is for the faithful to swallow the sermon.

• Like 3

a corps facebook page is for the faithful to swallow the sermon.

Much truth there, but sometimes there's good stuff. One example was the end of the year message the Blue Coats Director write to everyone.

Stark contrast to some public messages that some other DCI directors release. Well written, heartfelt, and about thanking others, not about himself, trying to attract controversy, or putting other organizations down backhandedly. :wink:

I'd like to again repeat my disappointment over the standing policy of some corps' management to discourage their members from participating on Drum Corps Planet. First of all, that kind of response to a willing, and paying, sponsor of DCA was destined for failure. To grow, every activity needs interested parties talking about it over a wide variety of platforms. The emergence of this site was a huge positive for that mission. Yet, our corps remained reluctant to take advantage. Too bad, but there's still time.

Evidently, corps management fears a potential for embarrasment from the postings of its own participants. Could that happen? Of course, but not often. By the way, such is STILL possible through anonymous entries, and posts from former members and fans. We seem to be missing out on developing a relationship between fans and current members with the current policy. To me, if your members are well-instructed beforehand, there is little danger. As a former classroom teacher, I cringed when I observed an entire class of kids penalized for the actions of just one, or two, miscreants. That's simply wrong. Just deal directly with the actual offender, not assume everyone must be punished. I fully agree with Kamarag. Here is one teaching opportunity, correct public decorum, that is being underutilized.

I apologize for drifting away from our topic, Scranton Predictions. So, here's mine. Cabs will win by a very slim margin! :wink:

I'd like to again repeat my disappointment over the standing policy of some corps' management to discourage their members from participating on Drum Corps Planet. First of all, that kind of response to a willing, and paying, sponsor of DCA was destined for failure. To grow, every activity needs interested parties talking about it over a wide variety of platforms. The emergence of this site was a huge positive for that mission. Yet, our corps remained reluctant to take advantage. Too bad, but there's still time.

Evidently, corps management fears a potential for embarrasment from the postings of its own participants. Could that happen? Of course, but not often. By the way, such is STILL possible through anonymous entries, and posts from former members and fans. We seem to be missing out on developing a relationship between fans and current members with the current policy. To me, if your members are well-instructed beforehand, there is little danger. As a former classroom teacher, I cringed when I observed an entire class of kids penalized for the actions of just one, or two, miscreants. That's simply wrong. Just deal directly with the actual offender, not assume everyone must be punished. I fully agree with Kamarag. Here is one teaching opportunity, correct public decorum, that is being underutilized.

I apologize for drifting away from our topic, Scranton Predictions. So, here's mine. Cabs will win by a very slim margin! :wink:

Fred it was that way 14 years ago with RAMD when I taught a DCA corps. I wasn't going out trashing anyone, but they didn't like it that I was posting. I told them what they could do with their rule

• Like 1

I understand those who differ from my opinion of this . Who wants to think their postings arent worth reading BUT I will respectfully disagree with you when you say FEW. There, in the past were alot getting into the koo- koo's on line plus DCI is a little different from DCA. I have yet to see ( although I'm sure there sure some circumstances ) for a learning tool. Most debates or arguments are about shows, whos fighting who, how horrible a choices of plume color was etc etc. All one has to do is go look. In DCI there is much to learn, I 'm not sure DCP is the place for that. JMO in this but when I have seen career's destroyed, members thrown out, good potential instructors not get jobs because they insist it is their God given right to express their opinion or share with the world their inner most feelings to the world, it's sad.and for me anyway more than happy to enforce those rules. Part of the learning process IMO is also following the rules of a given place. Thats just life, job, school, drum corps.

Boy did this drift from the topic...lol

Like in DCI I think DCA is having a very good year this year with potential all over the place.

Edited by GUARDLING

We haven't needed to have the "DCP talk" with the corps in the past couple years as we did in the past as it is simply not on their radar.

They will read and share reviews of their performance, but otherwise they stick to Facebook and Twitter for drum corps discussion.

I imagine it would be different if we were competing and being talked about every week, but out here in the DCA hinterlands of Florida, it's just not a factor anymore.

In a perfect world, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, the world today isn't perfect. Corps have a standing policy against DCP posting not because of being embarrassed by its own participants, but because of the message it sends across the community. In this day and age, Social Media is incredibly powerful. You can change an entire public perception on something in 160 characters or less these days. Sure, it would be interesting if current corps members came on here and engaged the DCP community and opened themselves up, We'd be able to learn more about a specific idea of their show, why they did this or that, how they are achieving this or that... etc.

But the problem today is that wouldn't happen. Instead, we as a community would think of that person as a direct representative of the corps. I think back to the Secaucus thread. A current member of Reading posted about how they were actually getting closer in a couple of captions and how they have a better ceiling than Cabs. I remember thinking at the time, "Is that what the staff is telling them? Did they have this conversation with the members, because that's not correct information?". I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The bottom line is we as a society are very accustom to drama. Its why reality TV shows today have the highest ratings. We'd like to believe we wouldn't hold what one person says against an entire organization but we would do it anyway. It's not worth the trouble. Better to just do the talking on the field for now IMO.

• Like 3