Scran'n Predictions....Here we go!

Ream, John and I don't care to do Care Bear reviews, and I'm probably by far be the most Care Bear of the three.

C2 was okay. They're getting better. But I can't gush and wax poetic when things weren't as right as they could have and should have been at Scranton.

Frankly, I hear people gush about them, saying how they're "gonna win, top 3, blah blah blah" and I guess when anyone criticizes them in legit fashion, I guess it bothers them because they can't whinge that they got screwed by the judging panel when they've been pretty much put precisely where they belong when folks like John lay out what the issues are clearly.

I'll lay them out as well later in my review. All I'll say for now is from the sound of it, the hose came out on the horn book in a big way this week.

Reviews on here are just opinions; not the gospel. Many of us out here have many years of experience with this activity and hold knowledge. I could do reviews but choose not to. Why would I think people on here care to read my opinions. Drum corps is a highly subjective activity; everyone has their opinions.

• Like 2

Reviews on here are just opinions; not the gospel. Many of us out here have many years of experience with this activity and hold knowledge. I could do reviews but choose not to. Why would I think people on here care to read my opinions. Drum corps is a highly subjective activity; everyone has their opinions.

You know, it's funny. DCP (like RAMD before it) used to have tons of DCI and DCA reviews. But when folks (members, staff, alumni, and fans) read anything they didn't like about their corps, they fought back. The bummer was that instead of posting counter-arguments based on facts, they attacked the original poster, some times in very nasty ways. It wasn't always in the thread either...things got nasty for a lot of folks via private message, and sometimes in person. So the result is that few people bother posting reviews anymore, especially in DCA, where the abuse of reviews was (and is) far worse.

The irony in all of this is that many of the folks attacking reviews are the first ones racing to DCP after a show, to see what was said about them.

• Like 1

Reviews on here are just opinions; not the gospel. Many of us out here have many years of experience with this activity and hold knowledge. I could do reviews but choose not to. Why would I think people on here care to read my opinions? Drum corps is a highly subjective activity; everyone has their opinions.

I love reading intelligent and well-written opinions, and I actually started following DCP regularly after reading and enjoying a review here.

• Like 2

Yes. That being said, why did people read DCN and DCW BITD, especially performing members of corps? My corps read the reviews BITD and enjoyed them. I've been told the same thing goes on today.

Can you write well, can you be honest, entertaining, and be thoughtful? Write a review.

As for people kvetching about reviews, Well, around 1982-3, there was a falling out with the Matadors and DCN, where the only thing that was written in any reviews was "Providence scored a wx.yz". Our corps found that hilarious.

I enjoy trying to break down what's going on for people. So do Ream and John. Maybe some folks can't come to grips with the reality of what's going on for or against their Corps. All some people seem to desire to read are "Everyone was GREAT! POW! ZOWIE! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! ALL WINNERS!!!!"

or, "The Brats were great and all my friends were in the parking lot!" Most folks seem to enjoy a good read that's honest. Most active corps members I know appreciate that some fans get what they do, appreciate what they do, take the time to write, and break down the good and bad in their corps. Seems some fans and Band, ooooops, corps, moms and dads can't deal with it. As one of my KK-Psi bros used to say in his Jersey accent, "Toooo baaad."

Really, one can extrapolate the statement to where the Judges are only scoring based on their opinions. The only difference is that they're paid for it and they're accountable for their decisions.

The essence of this activity is the competitive aspect, otherwise we'd have went to exhibitions and "clap shows" only many years ago.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

You know instead of pointing out everything wrong with Cadets2 we could sit back and forget about holes in drill and just enjoy the show. All the corps were wonderful in Scranton. Every show was enjoyable, and they all had their own problems too.

i enjoyed the show when I saw it on 7/26. Where did you see me say I didn't?

Honestly it's not a 'butthurt' thing to me, but a visual score is a visual score, holes or no holes. If they are guiding the forms as someone was actually in the holes then there you go. Go ahead because DCP is just critiques, personally just the nit-picking at the holes thing (which yes it's not good) when there a few other corps that have holes being filled too is just a little much. What if those people had injuries, were cut, or had an emergency? Yeah it's not cool seeing holes but if we are gonna point them out on it, maybe we should be pointing it out in other corps IMO

when a corps continually has holes year in and year out until (gasp) DCI is over, it's going to hurt their competitive aspirations.

this isn't 1987 where 10 horns can come in after tour, jump in, and be good enough to challenge at the top. sure you have one off's and people hurt etc. if you're cutting someone in August, you need to rethink your recruiting process in October

• Like 3

,many corps will have holes this week as college moves in

• Like 1

The more reviews, the better. It takes a great deal of effort to write lengthy opinions. Those who do choose to share their impressions have my respect. I enjoy those posts greatly. Truth be told, EVERY corps manager and member wants reviews!

I am amused when people claim not to read DCP, or say no one really takes what is said here seriously. BULL DROPPING! Performers thrive on generating reactions. I'm guessing there are hundreds of "closet readers' who come here regularly, some in very responsible positions within the activity. I know this to be true of several. There are posters here with extensive knowledge. We can benefit from whatever they say. Sometimes disagree, of course!

We all need a prosperous Drum Corps Planet. Forget Facebook. That's not only dangerous but from what little I've read there early on, before quitting it, lacks the kind of knowledge and substance that can be found right here. Just wish more DCP readers had the courage to contribute here in writing.

• Like 2

Actually corps are using FB for their information far more than DCp. That should tell you what they think of here versus FB. They have control over their own pages on Facebook. Here unless an admin steps in, they really don't.