Michael Cesario DCI artistic director. Interested in your Analysis 014

this just in.......his words have been revealed to answer this question:

"marvelous! it was like taking a bath in chocolate for one, and the other swashed my buckle"

Like why is there a large point spread each year in the 5 or 6 placement over the the lower placements.. Is this a safe guard for lower place corps for coming up. Why do year after year the same scores at the beginning of the year ( Horns, guards, drums GE etc) beginning scores go to the same corps for the the previous years before people have had a chance to understand show design and the dynamics of the show of each corps shows. Why is there not a short narrative of the judges and their experiences / resume ( judges that judge the show). They all do so much for the activity over the years ( music, arts and sports). Just a old guy wondering and watching the fish chasing each other with the war ships in the distance (OB at MV) To all have a great summer.

Not quite sure what you are asking but I'll give it a shot ( recovering from last week..lol ) Anyway, there is a clear difference from lower corps to mid corps to upper corps, very clear, in design as well as performance. It's almost easy to see where or which corps fall into which neighborhoods right from the beginning. Are there corps that break through areas into another, up or down sure there could be. I do believe the point spread is very valid from mid to lower corps as well. There's just a difference IMO

As far as anything going to the same corps it's merely because some corps maintain excellence and some not so much. Corps who maintain some degree of continual development and success have learned what to do to move forward NOT re- start year after year.

Not sure if I answered anything or gave you my opinion on what you were asking But tried..lol

Holy Crap!!!! I'm confused.... :confused:

me 2..i have no idea what I was answering....I think the OP was trying to find why the difference from bottom corps to mid corps but originally was asking MC about Boston and BD..so not sure where hes going with this all. If he's trying to compare BD and BAC ......welll

• Like 1

Like why is there a large point spread each year in the 5 or 6 placement over the the lower placements.. Is this a safe guard for lower place corps for coming up. Why do year after year the same scores at the beginning of the year ( Horns, guards, drums GE etc) beginning scores go to the same corps for the the previous years before people have had a chance to understand show design and the dynamics of the show of each corps shows. Why is there not a short narrative of the judges and their experiences / resume ( judges that judge the show). They all do so much for the activity over the years ( music, arts and sports). Just a old guy wondering and watching the fish chasing each other with the war ships in the distance (OB at MV) To all have a great summer.

The most difficult points to achieve are over 90, it’s even more difficult to gain points over 95 (look at how few ever do, how rare it is even for Bluecoats, think they’ve broken 96 maybe 5 times total and most of those were this year). To get the over 90 points, you have to start strong so you have time to clean the details (after the show is clean).

Starting strong requires top talent with marching experience and maturity. To get the over 95 points, well, that’s staff, design, names and corps reputation (see CI)

On years where Boston has a strong placement, they still look a week or 2 behind at finals (more so this year) and like they are still cleaning the show and not yet to cleaning the details. They don’t ever get that snap-clean and then the individual details clean that makes everything look more clean. You know what I clean? They do look a tier behind; so many time I find myself wishing for them (and those in their tier) ‘if they were just a bit cleaner or they had a bit more time’

These are the sorts of things you see watching the shows 3 times in a row at finals, they often don’t show as much on DVD

• Like 1

Just wondering your view on these two different shows (BD and BAC). AS a person that has (Followed ,Marched, Taught and help out with the food truck and props and many other things) with drum corps for the past 51 years. I Have total respect for all the corps, kids and what they do each year ( music, arts and sports). Love to here what your view point and analysis is of these two great drum corps shows for this great 014 year. Hopefully you read this post. Thanks have a great day.

FWIW my interpretation of this is:

1. Michael Cesario consulted with both BD and BAC this year.

2. The poster wants us to compare and contrast these two shows, presumably with an eye toward Cesario's contribution.

I'm not sure about #1 though; Boston went with BandShoppe this year, and the word Cesario doesn't appear in their news articles, so I would confirm the premise here first.

Still, the basic idea of comparing Cesario's influence now and over the years is an excellent topic. If that's what this is indeed about.. ?

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1

OF course I’m not MC Cholate Bather but…

BAC had my favorite show of the year, don’t know if I’ve ever felt that way about them before, so good job. It had great music, good impacts, nice GE built into the visual and was relentless

Like BD show a lot too, that horn bit in the opener was amazing

Agree.

I said hi and spoke to Michael in Riverside, on his way up to the press box. I told him I was pleasantly surprised with how much more entertaining BD's show was this year. He said he thought that all the corps were "starting to get it". I told him to keep up the good work for us fans and keep pushing the corps to design more entertaining shows. He paused, then gave me a devilish (no pun intended) smile, said it was good to talk to me and continued up to the press box. I could read between the lines. He's a class guy.

I think MIchael Cesario is the one person who is truly responsible for the great year of entertaining shows we just witnessed. Him pushing to put more emphasis (and points) on the GE side is the key to the whole thing. Let's keep going in this direction. Everyone will benefit.

"one person responsible"? think not.

Mr Cesario. Give up your involvement with Fred j Miller Inc or give up your DCI position.

Reeks of conflict of interest. He should continue addressing the many ongoing 'judging' issues. or stick to "costuming".