Quick audition question

I was having a little trouble finding the answer to this on a few different corps sites, so I figured I'd come here.

I was planning on auditioning for a corps this winter, and I was counting on borrowing a mellophone for marching band from the university I will attend this fall. However I just found out that the horn I'm borrowing is in Bb. Knowing that corps use mellophones in f, am I going to be able to audition with the Bb, or will I need to find a way to get an f? Thank you!

Most will let you (some prefer you) audition on whatever horn you feel most comfortable with. During ensemble time, they should have corps horns for you to use. I can't speak for every corps but I know the ones I worked with (and even when I auditioned) you auditioned on the instrument of your choosing. I auditioned on trombone and still got a spot. But they also had me play some on a corps bari to see how it sounded.