Scenario w/3 questions

Flame away...what's wrong with a judge simply ranking them an overall 1 thru 12 after all of the performances are done. As well, award a first in perc, brass, and guard then call it a day. No subcaptions of ach/perf, no more breakdowns for GE and vizh, no numbers mgmt, just 1 thru 12 and we're done. One judge for the overall award (the one to judge the big picture from the box), one judge each for brass, perc, guard (on or off the field, but I prefer off). I'm always amazed at the need to make things so complicated.

because the corps, staff and kids want scores.

• Like 1

because the corps, staff and kids want scores.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Ultimately, everyone just wants to win. If they can judge best in show for dogs this way, they can do it for corps, or ice skating or gymnastics.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Ultimately, everyone just wants to win. If they can judge best in show for dogs this way, they can do it for corps, or ice skating or gymnastics.

ice skating and gymnastics get scores. ya know those 6's and 10's and stuff with all of the graphics tallying it up.

BOa tried to go the way you suggest years ago, and the outcry...at the high school level no less...was astoundingly against it

• Like 1

just what we need more opinion..without accountability.................corps , as jeff said corps want numbers, it's how we measure how much and where we need to be

ice skating and gymnastics get scores. ya know those 6's and 10's and stuff with all of the graphics tallying it up.

BOa tried to go the way you suggest years ago, and the outcry...at the high school level no less...was astoundingly against it

My point was ice skating and gymnastics do it wrong too lol.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS rule. You tweek and tweek and tweek the system and the sheets to account for every little thing over the years and it becomes a monster like our tax code. It is not necessary. The placement number the corps gets tells them exactly where they are and they decide where they want to be. Not that I think a corps should go through the season thinking, "gee, I guess we're happy to strive for 15th." They have the judges tapes for specific critique. I maintain my assertion that it does NOT have to be as complicated as it is now.

My point was ice skating and gymnastics do it wrong too lol.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS rule. You tweek and tweek and tweek the system and the sheets to account for every little thing over the years and it becomes a monster like our tax code. It is not necessary. The placement number the corps gets tells them exactly where they are and they decide where they want to be. Not that I think a corps should go through the season thinking, "gee, I guess we're happy to strive for 15th." They have the judges tapes for specific critique. I maintain my assertion that it does NOT have to be as complicated as it is now.

well if ice skating and gymnastics do it wrong, then they're making an ### load of bank doing it wrong. tv ratings are great and especially for gymnastics, you see kids left and right going to classes at early ages.

if that's wrong, sign me the hell up.

the new sheets are far more KISS than what went before them. if there IMO 3 things that could improve what's there now it's the following:

weight the scores by multipliers like WGI percussion to reward performance more than design in the 6 non effect captions

have the judge have the ability to hand out a 995 or whatever number with the hundredth in a sub box

get rid of music ensemble and have an upstairs brass judge like percussion has.

• Like 2

Judging is a day to day, year-by-year thing. It's a corps by corps thing. It's the judge of a specific caption trying to grade based on the criteria established on the sheets, and also trying to apply a number that is both honest in comparison to other similar captions from the competitors.

Comparisons are NOT made from year to year, or even from one show to the next. In theory, each show, each performance must stand on its own. Numbers can certainly fluctuate due to inconsistencies in performance, and also due to number of competitors (and which competitors). Where the lowest-placing corps' numbers fall can effect the ceiling for each caption, and late in the season this is why we see some perfect scores.

I don’t feel that the Blue Devils follow the sheets as much as they define the sheets

Very true!