Fans jump up in acceptance of electronics.

With all the approval of Bluecoats application, I'll expect to see other corps inject electronic effects more next year. 'I'm hopeful it doesn't get out of hand. Used SPARINGLY, the electronic effects can be a nice addition. The danger is when someone runs with it just because it worked well for Bluecoats. I can foresee the whole thing being poorly integrated by some, unfortunately. Not so much by the top tier, though.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

With all the approval of Bluecoats application, I'll expect to see other corps inject electronic effects more next year. 'I'm hopeful it doesn't get out of hand. Used SPARINGLY, the electronic effects can be a nice addition. The danger is when someone runs with it just because it worked well for Bluecoats. I can foresee the whole thing being poorly integrated by some, unfortunately. Not so much by the top tier, though.

Yes, my fear as well. Like all the horn lines feeling they need to flail about, dance and roll around on the ground now-a-days because Crown did it.

It actually has been done poorly. MAYBE now people, and corps, can see it can be done well.

Edited by GUARDLING

This is my thought too. Was electronics and amplification overwhelmingly accepted this year? No. Did people enjoy how Bluecoats used them? Yes. Has the activity on whole made strides in better use of electronics and amplification? Sure. I still think it can improve.

But I agree with the above. More and more shows will utilize synth and other effects to add to their shows. Designers will continue to use body movement (much like Crown), but I'd prefer to see the staging concepts mixed with a better balance of body movement (much like BD) than lots of body movement for the sake of cheap GE. Much like the NFL, DCI is a copycat league and the top 2 designs this year were Blue and Bloo.

I agree with whoever indicated that the corps are using it too much for low end. When you have 16 tubas out there, you shouldn't need to support them.

Personally, I hated seeing a laptop on the field.

• Like 2

Like most years, the most creative, innovative, newest things came about on the field of competition not at all from the G7 Corps, but from the Corps below.

Almost all of the newest instumentations in Drum Corps historically came initially in Drum Corps useage from the Corps below the top tier too. This year was no exception either.

Edited by BRASSO

It actually has been done poorly. MAYBE now people, and corps, can see it can be done well.

and people will try it for the sake of trying it, good or not

This FAN did not watch one show or one clip all season. Mainly because of electronics and all brass issues.

DCI has lost a fan.

How is that for electronics???