Best Video from Finals!

Makes me wonder if this is a coincidence that the drum fell off the carrier that happened to have the camera on it. Could the mounting of the camera somehow interferred with the full engagement of the drum into the carrier?

Not even a little bit. Where the drum attaches is at the bottom of the carrier so there's no way a camera or anything in the upper half affected it at all.

Just one of those things in life where something happens and somehow it was all caught on tape.

It didn't look like it when the judge handed it to him and he dropped it in place.

Looking at the camera position (his "playing position" was inches below the camera) it probably not a worthy wonder. It was mounted well above his grip, let along his J-bar hangers.

Modern snare carriers have a horizontal bar on the drum side that drops into 2 grooves on the carrier. It enables the drum to rotate up easily and drop on to the carrier quickly. It could be the drum partially popped off because it was at the end of the drum solo, where they are jumping up and down with the last few accents. You can see the drum move up and down on both videos. Maybe a little too much jumping partially dislodged it and then the drum popped off the rest of the way from the movement as he moved backward after that. Maybe the carriers need to have a safely lock so the drum can't pop up and off.

Edited by 27Socal

I don't know, but ... snare dropped/lost - wearing camera, coincidence?

Is it a normal thing for MMs to wear cameras (are they even allowed under DCI's rules about recordings)...

My guess is this is a case where technology is ahead of policy. While DCI is aware of taping with cellphones, SLR's that can record video and plan old video cameras, GoPros are still relatively new, are affordable and gaining in popularity and are now becoming all the rage. It's easy to make policy when you know the technology. My guess is we will see all kinds of GoPro videos in the upcoming months from drum corps marching members, and no doubt it will be prohibited next year since it would violate policy. As far as the stands are concerned, a GoPro will not produce a great video of a show, though you'll get great shots of the people in front of you. As far as marching members wearing one, a GoPro would capture amazing shots.

If you don't have one yet, they are a lot of fun. I got one a few weeks back and I've had a blast with it. All the sudden, my not so exciting bike rides are quite.the adventure.

I don't think you'll see any policy changes regarding GoPros. DCI's recording policy is STRICTLY to protect the copyright holders. Most of these videos you can barely make out what music is being played. You hear faint sounds in the background and lots from the individual performer playing his/her part. Not exactly taking money from the wallets of the copyright holders...

On the flip side, GoPros give the consumers (e.g lots of band kids) a unique perspective of the individual responsibilities of a corps member and a one of a kind way to experience a show from the field itself. This is just a great FREE marketing tool for DCI.....which is precisely why this video has been tweeted and shared on Facebook by DCI already.

I think GoPros are exciting. I'm sure the members responsible for all the "boob cam" videos the past few years by taping cameras to their chests wish they had this technology back then

• Like 6

I don't think you'll see any policy changes regarding GoPros. DCI's recording policy is STRICTLY to protect the copyright holders. Most of these videos you can barely make out what music is being played. You hear faint sounds in the background and lots from the individual performer playing his/her part. Not exactly taking money from the wallets of the copyright holders...

On the flip side, GoPros give the consumers (e.g lots of band kids) a unique perspective of the individual responsibilities of a corps member and a one of a kind way to experience a show from the field itself. This is just a great FREE marketing tool for DCI.....which is precisely why this video has been tweeted and shared on Facebook by DCI already.

I think GoPros are exciting. I'm sure the members responsible for all the "boob cam" videos the past few years by taping cameras to their chests wish they had this technology back then

I agree with everything you said. I find these GoPro perspectives to be awesome, exciting, and just fantastic to watch. I hear bits and pieces, see how a show fits together, etc. The Crown kid who did it last year--I couldn't stop watching it. Totally an amazing marketing tool for DCI.

• Like 1

I agree with everything you said. I find these GoPro perspectives to be awesome, exciting, and just fantastic to watch. I hear bits and pieces, see how a show fits together, etc. The Crown kid who did it last year--I couldn't stop watching it. Totally an amazing marketing tool for DCI.

I had no idea this was a thing in drum corps. This is the first marcher-perspective video I've seen. It's been a long time since I marched, but it viscerally took me back to being on the field. I'd kind of forgotten what it's like to march a show. it was fun to relive that feeling.

• Like 1

I had no idea this was a thing in drum corps. This is the first marcher-perspective video I've seen. It's been a long time since I marched, but it viscerally took me back to being on the field. I'd kind of forgotten what it's like to march a show. it was fun to relive that feeling.

there are a LOT of first-person videos on YouTube, mostly from rehearsal run-throughs. A couple of my favorites:

2013 Bluecoats rehearsal (quads)

2013 Carolina Crown finals victory encore (trumpet)

2013 Carolina Crown final rehearsal run (baritone)

• Like 1

61a03sBtjVL._SL1500_.jpg

It appears that the snare drum was dropped not due to the Go Pro camera, but because of a design flaw in the Yamaha Contour Hinge MonoPosto Snare Carrier. The Go Pro appeared to be attached to the center post of the carrier. You can see this in the multi cam stream at about 5:25 and 7:45. From 7:30 to 7:50 is where the problem developed. It looks like by him jumping up at the end of that sequence, the rod on the snare side may have popped up and out of one of the two grooves in front of the letter M in the image above. Then when he was moving backwards the drum appears to moving around loosely side to side, then the rod came out of the groove on the other side of the carrier and the drum fell to the ground. If Yamaha had some clips or some other locking mechanism at the top of the two grooves that would lock the rod from the snare side in there, the drum could not have fallen off. This is my best guess as to what happened. If this is true, doesn't look like very good PR for Yamaha. What do you have to say Yamaha?

It appears that the snare drum was dropped not due to the Go Pro camera, but because of a design flaw in the Yamaha Contour Hinge MonoPosto Snare Carrier. The Go Pro appeared to be attached to the center post of the carrier. You can see this in the multi cam stream at about 5:25 and 7:45. From 7:30 to 7:50 is where the problem developed. It looks like by him jumping up at the end of that sequence, the rod on the snare side may have popped up and out of one of the two grooves in front of the letter M in the image above. Then when he was moving backwards the drum appears to moving around loosely side to side, then the rod came out of the groove on the other side of the carrier and the drum fell to the ground. If Yamaha had some clips or some other locking mechanism at the top of the two grooves that would lock the rod from the snare side in there, the drum could not have fallen off. This is my best guess as to what happened. If this is true, doesn't look like very good PR for Yamaha. What do you have to say Yamaha?

These type of carriers have been around for a bit and they are great! I don't see a "design flaw" in them at all. Just a freak thing that happened and that doesn't happen often at all.

These type of carriers have been around for a bit and they are great! I don't see a "design flaw" in them at all. Just a freak thing that happened and that doesn't happen often at all.

The design of a product should take into account ALL possible usage conditions. Yamaha obviously missed this one or doesn't care. It doesn't have to "happen often", once is plenty in this case. This was the biggest show of the year and could have been disasterous if a MM fell over the drum or other people who fell over the drum. Yamaha needs to change the design so that a drum can't pop up and off during NOW normal usage conditions. It's now not "a freak thing" that drummers are jumping up and down during a show. Perhaps these carriers will not be purchased until this is fixed. Yamaha: care to respond?

Edited by 27Socal