Best Video from Finals!

Very good. I was wondering the same thing. Or maybe the part where the drum meets the carrier was worn? Or user error like you said, where the guy didn't push the drum all the way down into the 2 grooves on the carrier side. If this was an automobile liability lawsuit the lawyers would be arguing a lot of things like this. Seems like the drummer is the only one who knows what really happened.

You're probably right, but I happen to agree that it's a bad design even if it serves a purpose.

I own a Yamaha SFZ (just because) and a Pearl marching snare. I have a May carrier for the Yamaha, but it's a J-bar carrier. My son, who plays the drums more than I do, also marches in high school using the hanger version that Crown uses. He says he never trusts his school harness and his experience and the Crown video are evidence that all drum lines should use J-bar carriers.

Just one opinion.

There's also this one, which is the same recording synced to the finals video.

OMG, that is amazing. I can't tell you how exhilarating it was to watch that synced video. I swear, I've watched that show dozens of times and hearing it from the snare's POV was just stunning.

Does anyone know which of the snares was recording? Say, in the battery feature line before the ballad? I'd love to pick him out.

Also, someone (probably a drummer) with a memory...wasn't this a Ralph Hardiman book? I'm probably wrong but I thought he was writing for Gail at that point.

Man, I can't tell you what joy what brought to this Dino's heart to relive that show from the field. That was an amazing trip. Thanks a huge TON.

OMG, that is amazing. I can't tell you how exhilarating it was to watch that synced video. I swear, I've watched that show dozens of times and hearing it from the snare's POV was just stunning.

Does anyone know which of the snares was recording? Say, in the battery feature line before the ballad? I'd love to pick him out.

Also, someone (probably a drummer) with a memory...wasn't this a Ralph Hardiman book? I'm probably wrong but I thought he was writing for Gail at that point.

Man, I can't tell you what joy what brought to this Dino's heart to relive that show from the field. That was an amazing trip. Thanks a huge TON.

Nate Beck made the recording. He's on the right end of the snare line at the start of Baba Yaga (after the ballad) and performs the solo buzz roll to kick things off.

Yes, that's Ralph's writing. He wrote SCV's book through 1990.

Also, trivia note, that's me in the center of the screen on the last note of the show.

"You and me baby. We got it!"

That is not what a snare drum is supposed to sound like.

That is not what a snare drum is supposed to sound like.

Don't judge sounds based on this video. GoPros do not have the greatest audio capabilities, or maybe I should qualify that with the audio is hit or miss. I tested mine while walking along a beach. One clip sounds soothing, the other like a toilet flushing due to changing wind direction. Camera placement, conditions, type of sound, etc. all play a part which is the case with DSLR's as well. If you want good audio with a DSLR, you really need to attach a microphone. My understanding is a GoPro with better audio capabilities is being developed.

Edited by Tim K

There was a drone at Ft. Wayne too. It hovered around a bit during the last corps shows from a distance. During the drum battle event it was buzzing all over the place though and the guy running the drum battle stopped and had us wave at it until it went away. I'm still not sure if it was an actual DCI camera, something one of the corps was using, or a hobbyist buzzing the place.

61a03sBtjVL._SL1500_.jpg

It appears that the snare drum was dropped not due to the Go Pro camera, but because of a design flaw in the Yamaha Contour Hinge MonoPosto Snare Carrier. The Go Pro appeared to be attached to the center post of the carrier. You can see this in the multi cam stream at about 5:25 and 7:45. From 7:30 to 7:50 is where the problem developed. It looks like by him jumping up at the end of that sequence, the rod on the snare side may have popped up and out of one of the two grooves in front of the letter M in the image above. Then when he was moving backwards the drum appears to moving around loosely side to side, then the rod came out of the groove on the other side of the carrier and the drum fell to the ground. If Yamaha had some clips or some other locking mechanism at the top of the two grooves that would lock the rod from the snare side in there, the drum could not have fallen off. This is my best guess as to what happened. If this is true, doesn't look like very good PR for Yamaha. What do you have to say Yamaha?

That's a Randall May manufactured carrier in the photo.

BTW, i think that snare drum was tired of sounding like a Formica Counter Top, so it decided to take off on its own. :silly::tounge2:

• Like 1