DCA All-Age Drum Corps Advice

I've always been a DCI fan and know nothing of DCA. I just started back playing a few months ago and I'm about to join an All-Age Drum and Bugle Corps in my area. I wanted to know from you veterans what to expect and what my approach should be.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!

• Like 1

Expect a welcoming, friendly attitude. If you show a willingness to work your can off, have a we vs. me attitude and treat others with a bit of kindness, you should be okay.

The big thing nowadays is that the corps try very hard to make good use of their time. Hustle the best you can and it'll be noticed and appreciated. Be as prepared as you can be musically or work-wise if you're a guard member. Make sure your chops are in shape as best you can if you're a horn guy. Even buzzing the mouthpiece driving around while you get to places helps, I know.

Dan Detweiler and Frank Ponzo also stress being as fit as you can be. If it means starting with a walk every day for 15 minutes and going up from there, do it. I'll let them go into the fitness details.

Good luck and enjoy!

Expect a welcoming, friendly attitude. If you show a willingness to work your can off, have a we vs. me attitude and treat others with a bit of kindness, you should be okay.

The big thing nowadays is that the corps try very hard to make good use of their time. Hustle the best you can and it'll be noticed and appreciated. Be as prepared as you can be musically or work-wise if you're a guard member. Make sure your chops are in shape as best you can if you're a horn guy. Even buzzing the mouthpiece driving around while you get to places helps, I know.

Dan Detweiler and Frank Ponzo also stress being as fit as you can be. If it means starting with a walk every day for 15 minutes and going up from there, do it. I'll let them go into the fitness details.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks!!!

Although I sort of miss-spoke...I should have put Mini-Corps. Not an all out All-Age Corps...my fault. this is all kinda new to me.

• Like 1

Be able to commit to their rehearsal and show schedule, at least minimize any conflicts and be upfront about it. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get to know people right away, vets and rookies. Analyize the etiquette of people around you. Expect to work outside the group on your own time or improptu sectionals when needed. Get to know your section on a personal level. The people that get along the best perform the best. On a personal level, make sure they're a good fit for you and meet your expectations.

• Like 1

Thanks!!!

Although I sort of miss-spoke...I should have put Mini-Corps. Not an all out All-Age Corps...my fault. this is all kinda new to me.

Realize that Mini's focus on one show - the DCA I&E at Championship weekend (unless they do SDCA) ... so, your commitment will be to reherasal time together and most likely a lot of practice at home ... while the show itslef is marketed liesurely, I can insure you that all the groups who show up are severely intense ... the talent level in Mini's is VERY high ... even for the ones out just for a good time ... it's uncanny ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Realize that Mini's focus on one show - the DCA I&E at Championship weekend (unless they do SDCA) ... so, your commitment will be to reherasal time together and most likely a lot of practice at home ... while the show itslef is marketed liesurely, I can insure you that all the groups who show up are severely intense ... the talent level in Mini's is VERY high ... even for the ones out just for a good time ... it's uncanny ...

:-)

I have noticed...There are a few Star United videos on youtube and wow...there is some serious talent there.

• Like 1