DCI Stanford - Go here if you want to be DCI Champion

Despite being on the west coast having to enjoy only early versions of shows, except '07, the show at Stanford has been host to the eventual DCI champion in EVERY year's show since it's inception in 2007. We've been lucky in that aspect that, by chance, a corps decides to go west for a tour ends up winning.

Aside from TOC shows or other major shows, are there any other shows out there that has hosted the eventual champion since its inception/first-ever show?

2007: Blue Devils

2008: Phantom Regiment

2009: Blue Devils

2010: Blue Devils

2011: The Cadets

2012: Blue Devils

2013: Carolina Crown

2014: Blue Devils

Sure, I may be reaching here, especially since BD has been pretty dominant, but still--it's pretty neat. What are the chances of the three non-BD corps deciding to come west to end the season as number one?

Basically, I am BEGGING all you midwest and east coast corps to come to Stanford on a regular basis. It's not easy for some of us to venture eastward.

• Like 2

As author Horace Greeley once advised :... " Go East, young Man ".

Edited by BRASSO

That's funny. I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to sound like I believed in superstition. But I'm glad someone else brought it up.

Kinda OT, but I have always thought that DCI should start some kind of travel endowment fund to help make it more possible for groups to travel West (and for Western corps to travel East, for that matter). It would take a few years, ok, maybe a decade, but once enough $$ was in place, corps could be "financially encouraged" to travel more without risking the farm.

• Like 2

Our West Coast friends have valid arguments as to why DCI should be held out West on occasion and this has come up in other threads. If I am not mistaken, I think 2016 is the last year of the contract with Lucas Oil Stadium, so discussions have to be underway about whether to renew or change venues. If DCI does not enter into another multi-year contract, perhaps traveling east for one year, Midwest for a second, west for a third would be a viable solution. Also the person who mentioned the travel endowment fund has an excellent idea which would give a variety to the corps the West Coast sees each year.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I believe Prelims and Semis have hosted the eventual champion every year as well! :wink:

(Sorry, send evil glares my way now, but I couldn't resist)

• Like 2

Sorry, but the Blue Devils won the Stanford show in 2013. Crown was 2nd.

The OP said the eventual champion has been in the Stanford show- not that they won it. On another note, the west coast tour worked out nicely for the Crossmen as well (the only non west coast corps to make the tour this year)