Top 5...Stirring The Pot A Little

I don't do predictions, and I won't start here...at least with specific placements. I will however place an opinion out there...

I think it is going to take a 93 at finals to get into the top 5 and a 96 for the top 3. What a great year it has been for this, the 50th anniversary of DCA. Good luck to everyone on the final push to Rochester. See you all in a couple of weeks!

Dan

• Like 3

For personal reasons, and because I think it's good for the activity to see new/excellent groups at the top, I hope CV's in that mix whatever the final scores end up being.

• Like 1

I don't do predictions, and I won't start here...at least with specific placements. I will however place an opinion out there...

I think it is going to take a 93 at finals to get into the top 5 and a 96 for the top 3. What a great year it has been for this, the 50th anniversary of DCA. Good luck to everyone on the final push to Rochester. See you all in a couple of weeks!

Dan

I agree with you that it will take AT LEAST the scores you listed. I think there will be a grouping for the Top 2, with another close grouping in 3rd thru 6th. 7th, 8th & 9th will be higher than normal, but there will be a gap between them and the Top 6. 10th will be a battle in and of itself, but the corps that makes the cut into Finals won't be very close to the Top 9.

I could see the following playing out (give or take a tenth or two).....

1st place - 98.6 (Cabs or Bucs)

2nd place - 98.4 (Cabs or Bucs)

3rd place - 97.6 (MB, Fusion, CV or C2)

4th place - 96.9 (MB, Fusion, CV or C2)

5th place - 96.2 (MB, Fusion, CV or C2)

6th place - 95.8 (MB, Fusion, CV or C2)

7th place - 91.9 (Bush, Sun or Hurcs)

8th place - 90.7 (Bush, Sun or Hurcs)

9th place - 90.0 (Bush, Sun or Hurcs)

10th place - 85.0 (WR, Sky, Alliance, Gold or Kilts - Who wants it the MOST?)

• Like 1

I thought about this. I'm sure CV Staff has thought about it because they need to set mental goals and push towards them to get where they want to be. With Scranton, the South show, Expo, and Big Sounds driving numbers higher as the corps push one another and score creep has its effects, This is a very, very reasonable assessment, Dan. As for some of the ways things may turn out across the rest of the spectrum, I do think there may be a gap from 5-6 and a large gap from 6-7, however. We'll have to see how some corps that are 'ranked' in the 7-10 area react to the challenge now.

• Like 1

The quality in DCA continues to rise. I expect prelims to be a real dogfight, and then depending on how that shakes out, finals will have serious intrigue as well

• Like 3

I think it is going to take a 93 at finals to get into the top 5 and a 96 for the top 3.

It did last year:

#5 -- 93.750 -- Cadets2

#3 -- 96.650 -- Minnesota Brass

And in 2010:

#5 -- 93.963 -- Hawthorne Caballeros

#3 -- 96.700 -- Empire Statesmen

And in 2009:

#5 -- 94.238 -- Hawthorne Caballeros

#3 -- 96.200 -- Empire Statesmen

And in 1990:

#5 -- 94.000 -- Rochester Crusaders

#3 -- 96.200 -- Hawthorne Caballeros

But in no other year do both of those conditions seem to have been satisfied, so it would indeed be unusual.

• Like 1

The quality in DCA continues to rise. I expect prelims to be a real dogfight, and then depending on how that shakes out, finals will have serious intrigue as well

Good point... this very well could be one of those "not everything's set in stone after Prelims" years.

• Like 2

Good point... this very well could be one of those "not everything's set in stone after Prelims" years.

True. The thing for fans to look at when the prelims scores go up before finals is this- any subcaption number within say 1-2 tenths between two given corps could shift either way or close up based on the performance and the judge. Look for those and you might be able to see what corps have a rock-hard chance to pull a move on another Finals night.

I think Finals often shifts. That is the nature of having region corps who do not travel to other regions. You don't really know what is going to happen until the end. The Prelims seeding scores are probably going to be very relative and we will likely see groups slip into Finals that some did not expect or see others comfortably in looking behind them. On the flip side, we could also see groups in other places jump up just because they are around like competition.

I think we are likely to see at least a couple of corps flip flop on Finals night. You can see several examples of this in just the past decade.