SCVC Audition 2015

Hello there, I am a new member on the forum. I hope I am posting this in the right area. Hopefully a forum moderator can help me if I am posting this in the incorrect part of the forum.

I am 17, and from Southern California. I have been playing sax for 8 years and just picked up baritone at the start of this summer. I really, really want to make Vanguard Cadets for the 2015 season and was looking for some tips and help to achieve my goal.

First of all, is it a reasonable goal to audition for Vanguard Cadets with only a few months' experience on the horn?

Also, I am aware that I am posting this a few months earlier than most would start considering auditions, but I really want to maximize my chance of making the corps.

What can I do to help make it at auditions?

Would it be possible to find a carpool to get to auditions in San Jose?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Firstly, Its never unreasonable to not try out, you'll never get in if you never try! You can still learn tons of things at the camp, even if you don't make it. There are many ways you can prepare yourself and its never too early to practice for your audition.

-Stretch, workout, go on a run, etc. Drum corp is a physically demanding activity, better be in shape!

-Practice your music. It may help to get a lessons, but I'm sure a friend or your band director could help you improve musically.

-Research and watch videos on their technique, it may not be a bad idea too get a headstart, practice, and even record yourself and compare.

At the audition, try to be a sponge and soak all the information you can at the camp. Although you a relatively new to brass, show that you are dedicated and determined to learn and get better. Be calm and don't freak out. Lastly, even if you don't make SCVC, use the information you received to get better for next season. Don't worry too much, you have 4-5 years left! If you still want to march next season, there are plenty of possibilities elsewhere that can still give you a great experience, like Blue Devils B, Golden Empire,Gold, etc.

Thanks! Better get started!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many people auditioned for a bari/euph spot last year, and how many made the cut?

Don't worry about how many people auditioned, made the cut, etc..... Just go out and do your best, be prepared, and remember, it's not just you auditioning for the corps but the corps auditioning for you as well. You need to make sure it is a good fit as well as they want to make sure you are a good fit for them.

on baritone, practice your scales in eighth and sixteenth notes. learn all your modes and download the SCV auditon packet. Learn those exercises and commit them to memory. also, check out pictures of how they stand, and hold the bari. notice the stiff wrists and dont let the weight of it sink into your back. so practice at standing position and make sure you can hold it for long periods of time. and practice long tones to help develope your tone.

do those things, and you should have a jump on the rest of the auditionees.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips!

learn all your modes and download the SCV auditon packet. Learn those exercises and commit them to memory.

Unfortunately, the 2015 audition packet is now out yet. Do you know if the SCV brass techniques book changes from year to year? They have a 2013 book and a 2014 book on their site. Should I wait for a 2015 release?

The packet that is online is the SCV A corps packet. For the Cadet corps, we use a separate packet (passed out at auditions/local rehearsals). For the cadet corps, focus on long tones, flow studies, flexibility. Provide an open and dark sound while playing. There will most likely be a technical excerpt posted on the SCVanguard website in late September/early October. As with any other corps, at the auditions, take in as much as you can.

• Like 1

The packet that is online is the SCV A corps packet. For the Cadet corps, we use a separate packet (passed out at auditions/local rehearsals). For the cadet corps, focus on long tones, flow studies, flexibility. Provide an open and dark sound while playing. There will most likely be a technical excerpt posted on the SCVanguard website in late September/early October. As with any other corps, at the auditions, take in as much as you can.

Once the scv a corps packet is released, would it be helpful to get that and work on stuff in it?