SCVC Audition 2015

Once the scv a corps packet is released, would it be helpful to get that and work on stuff in it?

If you'd like. Several of the exercises in their packet is the same as ours.

The packet that is online is the SCV A corps packet. For the Cadet corps, we use a separate packet (passed out at auditions/local rehearsals). For the cadet corps, focus on long tones, flow studies, flexibility. Provide an open and dark sound while playing. There will most likely be a technical excerpt posted on the SCVanguard website in late September/early October. As with any other corps, at the auditions, take in as much as you can.

Thank you! And one more thing. When you say flexibility, do you mean that musically or physically?

Flexibility exercises are partial jumps. Going from partial to partial as smooth as possible and slurred.

Flexibility exercises are partial jumps. Going from partial to partial as smooth as possible and slurred.

I will be sure to work on that. Thanks!

Should I have a goal speed in mind? Right note partials at 120 bpm?

If you haven't already, please make a MySCV account on scvanguard.org . You can fill out a prospective member questionnaire for both SCV and SCVC. You'll get the most up to date info on audition info (materials, camps, etc. ) as it comes out.

If you haven't already, please make a MySCV account on scvanguard.org . You can fill out a prospective member questionnaire for both SCV and SCVC. You'll get the most up to date info on audition info (materials, camps, etc. ) as it comes out.

I have indeed. I know it's still a bit far off but I am eagerly checking for new info! I am really looking forward to auditioning!

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the baris that audition don't play baitone full-time. A lot of us play trombone full time, but there is also usually a large amount of reed players that switch for the summer. You already have a step up on most people because you'll have been playing Bari non stop from summer till auditions. Although the musical audition is super important it's generally known that for baritones the weaker players can make it if they have a strong understanding of theory and look good visually. The staff understands that you'll get wayyy better at actually playing once move ins start, but you still have to show that you have some musicality at the audition. People that switch from reeds to brass (if they make it) are usually on third because their range isn't that great, so if I were you I would focus on getting my lower range down and being able to smoothly go from partial to partial. Valve consistency is also a super big thing because again, most baris don't regularly play Bari. So if you can get confident in your fingerings and be able to sight read without fumbling your fingers you'll be in great shape. But seriously best tip: if you cannot hold your horn up, you won't make it. The staff will say a million times at auditins that the Vanguard organization never looks weak, so definitely practice holding your horn up for long lengths of time (if you can get to 7-8 mins you'll be okay for auditions). Don't freak out you can totally make it!! Just don't goof off at auditions, don't talk, stand up straight, and don't look nervous!!

Most of the baris that audition don't play baitone full-time. A lot of us play trombone full time, but there is also usually a large amount of reed players that switch for the summer. You already have a step up on most people because you'll have been playing Bari non stop from summer till auditions. Although the musical audition is super important it's generally known that for baritones the weaker players can make it if they have a strong understanding of theory and look good visually. The staff understands that you'll get wayyy better at actually playing once move ins start, but you still have to show that you have some musicality at the audition. People that switch from reeds to brass (if they make it) are usually on third because their range isn't that great, so if I were you I would focus on getting my lower range down and being able to smoothly go from partial to partial. Valve consistency is also a super big thing because again, most baris don't regularly play Bari. So if you can get confident in your fingerings and be able to sight read without fumbling your fingers you'll be in great shape. But seriously best tip: if you cannot hold your horn up, you won't make it. The staff will say a million times at auditins that the Vanguard organization never looks weak, so definitely practice holding your horn up for long lengths of time (if you can get to 7-8 mins you'll be okay for auditions). Don't freak out you can totally make it!! Just don't goof off at auditions, don't talk, stand up straight, and don't look nervous!!

Thank you! What keys should I be able to play in fluently? For example, would I be expected to be able to play in Db major?

Thank you! What keys should I be able to play in fluently? For example, would I be expected to be able to play in Db major?

Bb, F, Eb and C

• Like 1