One more regular season show to go ,let the predictions rip

I have been involved in drum corps since 1957 and started with the seniors in 1963. I am still involved today. I grew up in the midwest and now live in the south. I guess you can say that I have been involved a long time. I have noticed through the years that the home corp, especially with the seniors, seemed to have the advantage to a certain degree. While perhaps the home corp might not have won, it always seemed that their scores were a little higher than one would expect. i.e. I think perhaps the Bucs will probably win their show.

I don't necessarily believe this is so. Until this year.. when was the last time anyone beat Bucs in a regular season show home or away?

From my experience, "local shows" helped corps morale, it was more enjoyable to have friends and family in the stands. Some shows were hostile out of the local scene for us.

Did it affect scores, no, I really don't think at all. I can think of one local one where we got dumped and there were repercussions for some people afterwards, and an away show we got heartily booed at until their faces turned blue and we won.

Judges know the deal. They'll look at the performance. They know whose Moms and Dads are at the show. If that local fan base lifts a corps' morale/intensity and helps them in their performance, yeah, that'll help the number.

The reverse can also be true. Knowing you're headed into the camp of the biggest opponent can also drive up morale/intensity as well. We'll have to see.

Umm, as for DCP being 'satirical' by the way...

I write satire now and again on another writers group, and I've never felt myself being satirical here without being painfully obvious. :exclamation:

• Like 1

Right!! So they didn't fall short at another corps home show since then.

Well, let's be honest...they haven't attended the home shows of that many real contender corps in the last decade, and no NE corps other than Cabs and Minnesota has been anywhere close to them either. How long did it take Cabs to put themselves in the real position of contender to Reading's crown? Seven or eight years?

Reading's utter dominance aside, I think there is something to the idea of the "home show boost". I don't believe it;s a conscious decision by judges, but rather a confluence of things that leads to it...a boost in practice motivation, big biased crowd, etc. DCA judges are, however, famous for compressing the scores at the end of the season though...and the numbers bare that out.

Both corps certainly don't lack motivation this week, that's for sure. It's going to be fun for those in attendance to see.

Edited by Kamarag

From my experience, "local shows" helped corps morale, it was more enjoyable to have friends and family in the stands. Some shows were hostile out of the local scene for us.

Did it affect scores, no, I really don't think at all. I can think of one local one where we got dumped and there were repercussions for some people afterwards, and an away show we got heartily booed at until their faces turned blue and we won.

Judges know the deal. They'll look at the performance. They know whose Moms and Dads are at the show. If that local fan base lifts a corps' morale/intensity and helps them in their performance, yeah, that'll help the number.

The reverse can also be true. Knowing you're headed into the camp of the biggest opponent can also drive up morale/intensity as well. We'll have to see.

Umm, as for DCP being 'satirical' by the way...

I write satire now and again on another writers group, and I've never felt myself being satirical here without being painfully obvious. :exclamation:

i dunno. when we did our home shows we did better. even at syracuse we would do better. i think, at least for us, we got pumped up more at those shows.

Well, let's be honest...they haven't attended the home shows of that many real contender corps in the last decade, and no NE corps other than Cabs and Minnesota has been anywhere close to them either. How long did it take Cabs to put themselves in the real position of contender to Reading's crown? Seven or eight years?

Reading's utter dominance aside, I think there is something to the idea of the "home show boost". I don't believe it;s a conscious decision by judges, but rather a confluence of things that leads to it...a boost in practice motivation, big biased crowd, etc. DCA judges are, however, famous for compressing the scores at the end of the season though...and the numbers bare that out.

Both corps certainly don't lack motivation this week, that's for sure. It's going to be fun for those in attendance to see.

I should have prefaced what I meant. Cabs I am more than certain will be coming into this show 12 cylinders a blazing. As I am certain so is Bucs. So I don't think they will be timid coming to Bucs home turf. Bucs have home crowd advantage but in my opinion I don't think that will matter this season. It will be either corps' momentum on the field that will make the difference and Cabs certainly do have the momentum. I did catch the Fan Network of Scranton and I have to say Bucs have come a long way since GP. But I'm in awe of Cabs. They have added a lot more since I saw them last and they are just on fire. This is by far the most exciting season for DCA in years. It is great to see all the corps stepping it up. It gets somewhat boring to see one or two corps doing well for so long. Much kudos to everyone top to bottom.

• Like 2

Well, let's be honest...they haven't attended the home shows of that many real contender corps in the last decade, and no NE corps other than Cabs and Minnesota has been anywhere close to them either.

With the exception of the Empire Statesmen in 2006.... about three tenths behind Bucs at Prelims and Finals... and about eight tenths back at the Wildwood show show in 2006, and again at the Bucs' August shows in 2006 and 2010.

I would say those spreads were reasonably close. LOL

• Like 1

My math says 10 years. They have not been within 2 points of the Bucs, with the exception of Clifton 2006, and that was seen as a fluke, at the time. Just sayin.