Best non-winners.....2nd, 3rd, and 4th

Agree on Star 90 behind dirty visually, but oh my God I could watch it all day long, the closing 2 minutes visually have my jaw on the floor every time. Super fun to watch, some of my favorite stuff from Zingali.

Music is one of the most incredible compositions put on a football field. Sorry, I'm a Prime homer. Always will be. Love the show.

• Like 2

The story you report was mentioned in a thread a few years back, but there were disputes in the physical assaulting but no disputes about the language, which is why my version is at best watered down. According to some reports, George B claimed firing this person was the one of the most difficult decisions he made but no one mistreated his kids. I did know George Hopkins was not yet director of Garfield, but I had forgotten George Z. left in August. In the pre-internet social media days I got most of my reports after the season ended, like most people. I'm assuming part of the decision could have been over changing the "Spitfire" ending with "Danny Boy." As much as fans, including your's truly loved "Danny Boy" it did not fit the show as well as "Spitfire" I do recall a person I went to college with telling me marching members were divided about the change, though no one was divided in the stands at CYO Nationals where I believe the 1981 "Danny Boy" ending had it's debut. The crowd went wild.

the one element missing in both of our versions is the reminder that DCI tour season then went to mid-August rather than as we have it now. Only the hot humid deep South started school in the middle of the summer then.

• Like 1

As a US Air Force veteran, allow me to point out that 92 Cadets was not a "cute airplane show."

"To Tame the Perilous Skies" was commissioned by the USAF band, and is a tribute to the American fighter pilot.

Gotta defend my branch of the service, y'know.

Agreed Sam, that show was amazing in all areas.

• Like 1

4th place - 1974 Anaheim Kingsmen (tough competition though)

2nd place - 1975 Santa Clara Vanguard (the perfect 30 in GE was no fluke)

2nd place - 1976 Madison Scouts - came out with a completely new show mid-season and go 2nd

DQ - 1977 Bridgemen (...this is more of a "what would have happened if they had not been DQ'd, 2nd perhaps)

2nd place - 1978 and 1979 Phantom Regiment - 78 lost by a tenth; 79 was off the hook amazing

2nd place - 1980 27th Lancers - Best 27 of all time

2nd place - 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard - brides-maid of the 80s; far too many amazing shows in 2nd

2nd place - 1989 Phantom Regiment - OMG they put on the show to win

3rd place - 1990 Star of Indiana - 2nd place performance; throw babies!

3rd place - 1997 Santa Clara Vanguard - 2nd place performance; they set Florida on fire

6th place - 1999 Madison Scouts - WOW; finals performance was truly terrifying, only SCV but on a better performance that night

3rd place - 2004 Santa Clara Vanguard - blew the roof off Mile high

2nd place - 2011 Blue Devils - just amazing

2nd place - 2013 Blue Devils - a champion just about any other season

Edited by devsabre

Well, I marched in '90; I don't think Star should have won that year. That was my all time favorite show too.

Musically, yes Star was the best. Visually, no. GE- Pretty darned good. Guard, no, Percussion, no.

SCV was VERY rough musically first part of the year and not quite there visually. I don't know why they dropped. That year Any of the top 5 corps could have won it, and they all beat each other at major regionals. I know when we first beat Phantom and Blue Devils ( who were BOTH undefeated at that time)at our second Whitewater show around July 28th, after being beating by Phantom and Star all of first tour and at DCM, I knew it was going to be a competitive year... I also knew that Star's drill was "different", and incredibly dirty...

So just my opinion.

I was on tour instructing in 90 and totally agree with all of this.

Star '90 is one my all-time favorite brass shows. I Agree they were behind in visual and guard, GE as right up there with others. Percussion was good but a bit odd. It was interesting to watch their drum line get smaller and smaller every week, some strange days.

The last 2 mins of Star '90...absolute drum crops bliss; throw babies, throw your mom, throw grand ma. The crowd went berserk - the recording almost doesn't do the moment justice, so glad I was there.

• Like 2

BD's drumline did all they could to hand it to 27th in 1980, but in retrospect, 27th that year was the last blast from the 70s (doing essentially the same show as the year before, but cleaner), while BD's hornline was re-defining what a drum corps hornline could sound like.

Every year after that, 27th seemed more and more stuck in the past. Great drumlines in the 80s, but the rest of the program wasn't developing, and they didn't seem able or willing to do a reinvention the way that Cavaliers finally did about that time. Even if they'd won in '80, the trajectory would have been the same. Corps like Kilts and 27th, who had such strong identities within specific niches, weren't going to do well after '83 Garfield.

Edited by Slingerland

BD's drumline did all they could to hand it to 27th in 1980, but in retrospect, 27th that year was the last blast from the 70s (doing essentially the same show as the year before, but cleaner), while BD's hornline was re-defining what a drum corps hornline could sound like.

Every year after that, 27th seemed more and more stuck in the past. Great drumlines in the 80s, but the rest of the program wasn't developing, and they didn't seem able or willing to do a reinvention the way that Cavaliers finally did about that time. Even if they'd won in '80, the trajectory would have been the same. Corps like Kilts and 27th, who had such strong identities within specific niches, weren't going to do well after '83 Garfield.

I would agree that the 27th of 82, 83, and 84 was not quite the corps they were at their height (though the were good), by 85 and 86, they were evolving to be like their competitors. It's hard to say how it would have worked, and I do agree the identity issue would have been a problem, but not an unsolvable one. I can't agree that the 1980 show was the last great 70's show. If anything, 79 was the first of the great 80's shows. Also the 1981 horn line of 27th was in my opinion, their best as far as musical ability, and I thought their overall show that year was worthy of mention in this thread. While Cadets ascendancy did not help matters, finances more than being stuck in the past was the mortal blow for 27th.

It's interesting, with 27th, Star, and at times Suncoast, we speculate of what might have been which only shows the impact a corps can have.

My choices for champion are based more on my favorite overall program than by who I think was the most technically excellent. And I personally place much more weight on music than visual.

1983 BD - Though I love Garfield too and would not have complained at all about a tie.

1985 Suncoast Sound (Florida Suite) - Suncoast's music more than made up for any visual book they were lacking.

1987 SCV (like Russian music box come to life)

1988 BD (Jazz. Death to the blind draw!)

1989 Phantom (New World)

1993 Star (Barber & Bartok)

1995 BD (Carpe Noctem - edgy and dark for its time)

1996 Garfield (Beef!)

1997 SCV (Fog City Sketches)

1998 BD (Romeo & Maria, or whatever)

2003 Cavaliers (Spin Cycle)

2004 BD (choo-choo-trains)

2005 Phantom (Rhapsody)

2011 BD (A House Is Not A Home)

2013 Garfield (Barber)

2014 Bluecoats (Tilt)

1981 Soul City House of God / Holy Ghost Headquarters Royal Brigade ("Sailing" by Christopher Cross)

1975 Hawthorne Muchachos.... for my consideration as another " non winner " Corps.

They were turned in by another DCI Corps after performing in Prelims in '75 for marching an overage member all season long, and then DCI DQ'ed them from competing the next nite at Finals. I suppose ( and personally believe ) that the Madison Scouts would have won the 75 Title the next nite anyway, but nobody really knows for certain. I don't think it would have been a slam dunk anyway for Madison that year. Its certainly within the realm of posssibility that the Muchachos could have bested Madison imo.

...boy you hit a chord here, Brasso! That was an amazing bunch who's only weakness was M&M ex...as a Kingsmen '74 instructor, it was duck soup to go in there and show 'em (usually only once...) why they got beat the year before...incredible drum corps...