An Interview with Sal Hernandez - Current Member of the Concord Blue D

Here it is! The final part of my interview with Sal Hernandez of the Concord Blue Devils! In this part, Sal talks about the so-called controversy surrounding a certain Snapchat photo from the Cadets that went viral, what it takes to be a member of The Blue Devils, and what he thinks of the upcoming 2015 season! Thanks again everyone for reading. Hope you enjoyed reading the interview and getting to know this fine young man!

An Interview with Sal Hernandez of the World Champion Concord Blue Devils - Part IV

Let me know if you would like to see more interviews with members of other drum corps!

Hm I hope this will put some of the whole "BD's show wasn't that hard" stuff to rest. By his description, it sounds like it was a pretty physical show.

Also he expressed my views on Cadets leaving early exactly as I would:

"I did hear about this. I read one of the posts, which I believe was by George Hopkins (Director of The Cadets) in which he said something along the lines of it being a Cadets tradition and wanting to leave so that the champion can perform their show one last time. I respect the Cadets for being strong in their traditions. That being said I feel like at some point, traditions need to change. It’s really hard to imagine that after a summer full of blood, sweat, and tears, when it’s all finally over you can’t congratulate each other on a great summer. Traditions aside, at the end of the day we are all kids who love being around each other. I know that there was probably a feeling of embarrassment or disappointment, but like I said, when all is said and done, no one cares! That’s the beauty of it! When else will you be surrounded by so many people who love what you do! Who have been doing the same thing as you all summer long? I think it’s a shame, because in the public’s eye The Cadets tradition seems like they are just being bitter. They didn’t do anything ‘wrong’, you know? It just came off as rude to a lot of people and it’s kind of hard to be taken any other way."

Smart nice kid.. He will go far. As for posting this subject again .. we know you are not a Cadet Fan.. we know ..time to let it go. Tradition is tradition. Some like it ,some don't.. but beating a dead horse over it and trying to make more than what it is...is tiresome. Cadets NEVER move around during retreat win or lose. Others should use them as an example of how to act during retreat. How would you have liked them to exit the field??? Maybe send your advice to Mr. Hopkins and he will use it during the retreat in 2015. You know as well as anyone how the Cadets feel about scores and placements..Just one last time for you to get a little zinger in. :thumbdown:

Smart nice kid.. He will go far. As for posting this subject again .. we know you are not a Cadet Fan.. we know ..time to let it go. Tradition is tradition. Some like it ,some don't.. but beating a dead horse over it and trying to make more than what it is...is tiresome. Cadets NEVER move around during retreat win or lose. Others should use them as an example of how to act during retreat. How would you have liked them to exit the field??? Maybe send your advice to Mr. Hopkins and he will use it during the retreat in 2015. You know as well as anyone how the Cadets feel about scores and placements..Just one last time for you to get a little zinger in. :thumbdown:

The only one stirring the pot is you my friend. There was absolutely no controversy with my post until you posted to me. My post was absolutely on topic as it was directly responding to something written in the interview.

Am I a fan of the Cadets? Not necessarily. But that doesn't equate to me not liking the Cadets. I like the Cadets depending on what show they do in that particular year. Now that I've cleared the assumption you made about me, I'm just going to leave it at that. My opinion in my OP stands.

• Like 1

What an outstanding young man! Thank you for taking the time to do this interview and give us a front line viewpoint of a champion. Also thanks to Mark for coming up with idea and allowing us to get to know this young marching member.

Also he expressed my views on Cadets leaving early exactly as I would:

"I did hear about this. I read one of the posts, which I believe was by George Hopkins (Director of The Cadets) in which he said something along the lines of it being a Cadets tradition and wanting to leave so that the champion can perform their show one last time. I respect the Cadets for being strong in their traditions. That being said I feel like at some point, traditions need to change. It’s really hard to imagine that after a summer full of blood, sweat, and tears, when it’s all finally over you can’t congratulate each other on a great summer. Traditions aside, at the end of the day we are all kids who love being around each other. I know that there was probably a feeling of embarrassment or disappointment, but like I said, when all is said and done, no one cares! That’s the beauty of it! When else will you be surrounded by so many people who love what you do! Who have been doing the same thing as you all summer long? I think it’s a shame, because in the public’s eye The Cadets tradition seems like they are just being bitter. They didn’t do anything ‘wrong’, you know? It just came off as rude to a lot of people and it’s kind of hard to be taken any other way."

I think a lot of people on these forums can easily imagine what he says is really hard to imagine. To those who participated in retreats that ended in a more formal manner: how did you feel about it at that time? Were you disappointed not to be able to informally congratulate your competitors on the field? Would it have been equally hard for you to imagine the regular routine of today? Would you have thought perhaps that it was rude of other corps not to properly exit in a timely and regimented manner?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Excellent interview, by the way.