Glassmen

Zero percent chance. From what I understand they've sold the corps hall and auctioned off all the instruments and other assets. Gone for good, unfortunately.

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1

Terrible. Ohio is a strong MB state and we went from 3 drum corps to 1 in a decade. And people say drum corps is alive and well. What a joke. Bluecoats are barely tethered to Ohio as it is with the whole Texas connection going on.

Part of me wants to blame Salas, but I don't know enough about the situation to comment further. Madison went through a bit of a financial crisis after his tenure, so I kinda assume the same thing happened with Gmen.

Edit: Dangit. Now I'm having unreasonable pipe dreams of starting an open class corps in ohio.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

I believe you are correct about Salas being a big part. Just check their non profit report as to what he was paid! Unfortunately the board who went along with it without having the money and not replacing the lost bingo income is every bit as much responsible.

How can a program coordinator be blamed for bankrupting the corps? Couldn't a director or board just tell him "no"? Being paid too much isn't his fault.

• Like 2

I think we'd all be surprised to find out just how close other corps are to following these guys. Non profits are a business and should be run as such....too many non business people running some corps and their financial stability suffers, along with terrible head scratching decisions equals a recipe for disaster. DCI should offer some business models based on successful corps as a blue print on how to set up a board of directors and an overall 30,000 ft view of what it takes to run a sustainable business model. DCI members should also be required to attend at least one DCI meeting in a calendar year...many do not, and DCI does not know what's up until it's too late. A good business model for DCI would be to have a minimum requirement for board structure within an individual corps as a prerequisite to membership, in order to help secure future viability. This is an area I really think DCI could assist those corps run by non business types who have no revenue generation model in place. Too many corps rely on member dues and performance fees to get them down the road...I know of corps who ran out of money at the Texas regional and personal credit cards and family donations got them through finals...That is not a healthy make up.

Edited by JKT90

I don't know this guy mentioned in the thread, but the board makes the decisions that dictate the direction, and the director reports to the board. It is contrary to best practices to have the corps executive director/ director be a major influencer on the board.