2014 Semi-finals and Prelim APDs

Picked up the Lossless Prelims bundle today. Listening to Blue Devils right now. A couple of thoughts:

A. The files are BIG .wav files. For example, BD is 212MB. The full bundle is a whopping 4.3GB. I thought that they would be .flac files, but they are .wav (which means they will more than likely play on any device without additional software)

2. Sound is very clear so far. So much so that I noticed that the field mic on the Bari solo at the beginning of La Strada was having issues. Balance between brass and pit (and mic'd parts) is very good. As has been the case in the past, the crowd and announcer are a bit subdued, most likely due to mic placement.

D. Volume is a bit low, but I am listening on a work PC with crap earbuds. I will give these a run through the car stereo (via bluetooth) later and get a better feel for the sound.

Edit to add: ####, Blue Devils Mellos! (I know that I have expressed this before, but WOW are they loud, especially in the opener and closer))

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 1

Picked up the Lossless Prelims bundle today. Listening to Blue Devils right now. A couple of thoughts:

A. The files are BIG .wav files. For example, BD is 212MB. The full bundle is a whopping 4.3GB. I thought that they would be .flac files, but they are .wav (which means they will more than likely play on any device without additional software)

2. Sound is very clear so far. So much so that I noticed that the field mic on the Bari solo at the beginning of La Strada was having issues. Balance between brass and pit (and mic'd parts) is very good. As has been the case in the past, the crowd and announcer are a bit subdued, most likely due to mic placement.

D. Volume is a bit low, but I am listening on a work PC with crap earbuds. I will give these a run through the car stereo (via bluetooth) later and get a better feel for the sound.

Edit to add: ####, Blue Devils Mellos! (I know that I have expressed this before, but WOW are they loud, especially in the opener and closer))

Hi,

Did you receive Cascades lossless performance in your bundle? Its not listed

Hi,

Did you receive Cascades lossless performance in your bundle? Its not listed

Hmmm. No, it does not. That is upsetting.

Update... they now have a ZIP file available to download the entire bundle at once (rather than clicking 21 links and waiting for 4GB to download 200MB at a time). HOWEVER, after two 4 Gig downloads, there is apparently a problem with the file. I won't delete it until I talk to support, but I can't extract it. Bad news.

Not to change the subject, but I have purchased all of the lossless recordings this summer. Honestly, the best sounding set of lossless files to me were the ones recorded in Nashville. The stadium must be really good acoustically, because the recordings are clear, open, and loud. Bluecoats literally made me scream out loud in the car while I was listening to them from that Nashville Masters show (in a positive way). Wow.

If you want to get some great sounding recordings from the whole season, go for those in my opinion. Yeah, I know it's not championship week, but it's not early season either, and they sound goooood!

FYI - They have fixed the lossless prelims and added Cascades. Props to DCI support, who answered my email very quickly and fixed this.

How is the quality this year? Do they get the amped stuff ok? Just wondering if it is worth getting these prelims downloads, or waiting for the Finals ones (if they ever release those). Or wait for the CD's?