Boerma's Back at Madison!

Also, NR_Ohio, he left Michigan (where he was Associate Director of Bands) a couple of years ago to be the head guy at Western.

Interesting. I thought the Noir show, the Vegas show, and especially Speakeasy were great. Though I'd agree on the Kansas and Forging and Icon shows...

To me that shows no matter who's on staff, your design team and program coordinator has to give you something good to work with and some room to work in your element. IE Spirit 2009 vs. 2011 - 2013 vs. 2014. I'd say 2011 to 2013 were hugely successful for Spirit.

• Like 1

Interesting. I thought the Noir show, the Vegas show, and especially Speakeasy were great. Though I'd agree on the Kansas and Forging and Icon shows...

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like a lot of the things he did at Spirit. I'd just often hear a phrase and think "oh, that sounds like Boerma...it sounds like the way Madison should sound."

Even back around 1980, when Jim Ott wrote arrangements for both corps, each had a unique sound. You can instantly tell, even without knowing the repertoire, whether a recording is of Madison or of Spirit.

When Scott was arranging for Spirit, to me they sounded like Spirit/Madison or something it's similar to how some people have written that they like Michael W. Smith's arranging, but that he never captured the "Madison sound"...

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like a lot of the things he did at Spirit. I'd just often hear a phrase and think "oh, that sounds like Boerma...it sounds like the way Madison should sound."

Even back around 1980, when Jim Ott wrote arrangements for both corps, each had a unique sound. You can instantly tell, even without knowing the repertoire, whether a recording is of Madison or of Spirit.

When Scott was arranging for Spirit, to me they sounded like Spirit/Madison or something it's similar to how some people have written that they like Michael W. Smith's arranging, but that he never captured the "Madison sound"...

Just to correct....that would be Robert W. Smith.

• Like 1

Exciting news and next year should be interesting. Best of luck to Madison...always one of my favorites!

I've been away from the activity for a while(most of the 2000's) can someone explain what happened to them and why they started hovering around the bottom 12?

Exciting news and next year should be interesting. Best of luck to Madison...always one of my favorites!

I've been away from the activity for a while(most of the 2000's) can someone explain what happened to them and why they started hovering around the bottom 12?

Their design and performance has generally been around the bottom of Top 12 (or lower, looking before the current administration). Add the fact that seemingly EVERY corps has significantly upped their game as far as design and performance, thus making it incredibly difficult for any corps to move up the competitive ranks (Cavaliers making Top 6 again this year for the first time in awhile, after winning five Championships last decade = a great example of competitive nature of the activity, IMO). That's the most honest, no-frills answer. Many corps have been performing better-designed shows than Madison the last several years.

I'm excited to see what Scott brings (back?) to Madison, and I look forward to hearing his arrangements played by Scouts again!

I can only imagine there will be a few more names yet to come out of the Scout camp.

Scouts just announced KC Michel of Phantom Regiment visual fame on their staff for 2015!