Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

Eleran, your son has my thoughts for his success in making the corps. You're right -- it would be awesome.

Eleran, your son has my thoughts for his success in making the corps. You're right -- it would be awesome.

Thanks very much. I'll be honest, though, my own thoughts are mixed about it, because the logistics and cost of performing with Boston will be less friendly than the other corps he'd choose to march with.

Thanks very much. I'll be honest, though, my own thoughts are mixed about it, because the logistics and cost of performing with Boston will be less friendly than the other corps he'd choose to march with.

I think you will find 015 Boston very interesting in all aspects.

What are his other choices, if I may ask?

Jersey Surf. Only 75 minute drive away to all camps, and they don't start residency in May, which he' would have to miss with Boston for high school classes.

JS great organization. They have done a lot of Drum corp in that area the past several years. I think you can also audition on line as well. You also can contact the people in BAC office to work out any concerns and issues you might have. Best of luck in 015.

• Like 1

Jersey Surf. Only 75 minute drive away to all camps, and they don't start residency in May, which he' would have to miss with Boston for high school classes.

Didnt you say he was very young? Surf may be a good fit if he is. There may be a broader age range, but you know your child and what he may be ok with.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Didnt you say he was very young? Surf may be a good fit if he is. There may be a broader age range, but you know your child and what he may be ok with.

A few "Surf grandparents" stayed at the same hotel I did in Indy a couple of years back. They claimed that older kids looking out for younger ones was a priority for marching members, and this is what I've observed when watching them, albeit in a very limited manner. Also looking out for the best interest of others is very "Bob Jacobs" so Surf is a great option, though BAC has young members too (not as many young members as Surf) and I know BAC provides an excellent atmosphere for members.

• Like 1

Yes, he'll be 15 during the summer, and Jersey Surf is his likely home if he can catch on there. I've met and spoke with Bob Jacobs, and like what I see there. But my son does want to take a shot at making Boston, even though I've been preparing him for the likelihood that he won't make it there for a couple years. If he is fortunate enough to be offered a spot for both, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

• Like 2

A few "Surf grandparents" stayed at the same hotel I did in Indy a couple of years back. They claimed that older kids looking out for younger ones was a priority for marching members, and this is what I've observed when watching them, albeit in a very limited manner. Also looking out for the best interest of others is very "Bob Jacobs" so Surf is a great option, though BAC has young members too (not as many young members as Surf) and I know BAC provides an excellent atmosphere for members.

Being a very young member of a corps can be very tough. At that age ( depending on the kid) a 2 year difference at that age can be alot. I know this 1st hand . even though it was very much bitd I was the youngest in the corps i was in and the pressure of being in one of the top corps. It can be a very lonely place for a kid. With that said , if a corps provides a atmosphere that helps a very young member thats great , If not so much then the kid has to jump into a more adult world very fast. As I said, all just depends on the kid.