Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

Being a very young member of a corps can be very tough.

That was a big part of his experience last year, starting camps at age 13, and taking what he felt was a lot of crap from other MMs which was directed at him mostly because of his age and being a rookie. But I'm helping to side-track a perfectly good Boston thread, and I don't want to do that, so....

Whatever Boston's show this season, I hope they release info about it sooner than they did last season.

That was a big part of his experience last year, starting camps at age 13, and taking what he felt was a lot of crap from other MMs which was directed at him mostly because of his age and being a rookie. But I'm helping to side-track a perfectly good Boston thread, and I don't want to do that, so....

Whatever Boston's show this season, I hope they release info about it sooner than they did last season.

Sometimes it is not just about others giving you crap but all to do with just the age thing. Remember a kid of 14 is or can be in a very different world from a 16 or 17 year old. At least in their own minds.

There are many winter programs ( mostly world class ), no matter the talent, that won't take anyone under 18 for many many reason. I'm sure your son will look at what is comfortable .

Yep , back on topic

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

IMO Boston needs a new program co-ordinator.

I am from Boston and am a huge fan but the last 2 years have been disappointing design wise. Some other posters made references that Boston was trying to get fans to think about it's theme. Mostly fan's were just trying to figure out what was going on period. This was most reflective in their poor GE scores. They thougth this show would take them to the top 5. You don't design a show with what you believe will get you a higher placement. Allthough the theme certainly was different the music really was not. Santa Clara, Cadet's, Crown and Star played smilar contempory dark modern music but within a much better design.

On a shuttle bus back to the airport in Indy I over heard a Boston trumpet player saying marching at the ridiculous rate of speed they did in some parts of the show was not 'fun'. My bet was she was not alone in that opinion.Will this impact recruiting for 2014? It is possible. Again having members fly around the field is not anything new and in today's DCI is not something that add's much value. The flow of last years show was problematic. Several of the 'movements' would just abruptly end and the audience would be sitting on their hands. This show screamed out for some narration. This thought is justified by them finally putting in a bit of it during finals week.

With the bombing in Boston in 2013 the show design that year got increasingly tastless as the season progressed. Did they really need to have the guard made up to look as they had just been bombed? Don't even get me started on the baby powder disaster. Obviously that show was in the works before the bombing. My point is they could of been a bit more senstive. And if you were going to have a show with bomb effects and you are from Boston at least have a 'Boston Strong' flag or banner at the end.

Sorry for the rant. Needed to get this off my chest.

I really hope they can go back to a design that will bring the audience back into their show for 2015

• Like 2

And there's the quixotic, but endearing, nature of art: that one person can hate it while the next loves it.

For I disagree with most of what the prior post says about the 2014 show (except the point that the speed of marching and playing might have been detrimental at times).

Vive la différence!!

• Like 2

IMO Boston needs a new program co-ordinator.

I am from Boston and am a huge fan but the last 2 years have been disappointing design wise. Some other posters made references that Boston was trying to get fans to think about it's theme. Mostly fan's were just trying to figure out what was going on period. This was most reflective in their poor GE scores. They thougth this show would take them to the top 5. You don't design a show with what you believe will get you a higher placement. Allthough the theme certainly was different the music really was not. Santa Clara, Cadet's, Crown and Star played smilar contempory dark modern music but within a much better design.

On a shuttle bus back to the airport in Indy I over heard a Boston trumpet player saying marching at the ridiculous rate of speed they did in some parts of the show was not 'fun'. My bet was she was not alone in that opinion.Will this impact recruiting for 2014? It is possible. Again having members fly around the field is not anything new and in today's DCI is not something that add's much value. The flow of last years show was problematic. Several of the 'movements' would just abruptly end and the audience would be sitting on their hands. This show screamed out for some narration. This thought is justified by them finally putting in a bit of it during finals week.

With the bombing in Boston in 2013 the show design that year got increasingly tastless as the season progressed. Did they really need to have the guard made up to look as they had just been bombed? Don't even get me started on the baby powder disaster. Obviously that show was in the works before the bombing. My point is they could of been a bit more senstive. And if you were going to have a show with bomb effects and you are from Boston at least have a 'Boston Strong' flag or banner at the end.

Sorry for the rant. Needed to get this off my chest.

I really hope they can go back to a design that will bring the audience back into their show for 2015

I have enjoyed BAC shows overall, including 2013 and 2014, though I really loved 2011 and 2012 and hope 2015 is similar to that style. I think what happened with "Rise" was that the darker element did work and it was taken farther in 2014, perhaps in retrospect a bit too far, but in my opinion, not a tenth place deserving too far. I still thought they had at least an 8th place show. However, in defense of 2013, there were some additions to the show as the season progressed that I saw as a bit of a memorial of the Boston Marathon bombing, reflecting "Boston Strong" without capitalizing on it. Part of me would have liked to have seen some specific recognition of the bombings, especially where some alums and if I am not mistaken, a then current member or staff ran the Marathon, but I don't know how that could have been done without looking like pandering.

• Like 1

hopefully no sarcastic dissonant versions of Conquest

...hahaha...just to show how wildly different our "Dino" takes are...I LOVED IT! (...also lovin' Sky Alumni, bro!)...

I liked Rise well enough in '13, but it felt kind of like a generic, nebulous competitive marching band concept. It didn't have that ... oomph. Animal Farm, in concept, had oomph, for sure, but it didn't really translate to the field. And the music program felt like an homage to the early 2000's, where it was all about the "intensity" of the arrangement. Didn't really click with me.

That said, I still love the heck out of Boston, and understand that by pure math they're not going to get me with every production. I don't mind that they try new and different directions every few years. I look forward to what they can pull off this year, too.

Mike

• Like 1

For the record, the Boston Crusaders Senior Corps are not just some folks who show up and do something at a BAC home show. They are, in fact, a legit drum corps who rehearses virtually year round, and performs at both parades and feld shows throughout the northeast. They actually recently had designed and made new uniforms and are a serious organization in their own right. They also find time to "treat" BAC to a couple cookouts/lobster feeds, etc and even accompany them on an annual Duck Boat tour through Boston Harbor each year during move in.

Just wanted to point out that they are much more than a random bunch of folks who show up once or twice a season...

...they were studs at the DCA Alumni Spectacular. Looked awesome in new uni's made just for them (saw the Cavi Alumni parade corps a couple of years ago and they had a similar vibe, *and* great uniforming, too) and were distinctly BOSTON. Congrats to them...I'll be posting pics soon!

Thanks very much. I'll be honest, though, my own thoughts are mixed about it, because the logistics and cost of performing with Boston will be less friendly than the other corps he'd choose to march with.

If possible, at least give a Boston audition a go. Next year will be a very worthwhile year to march with them, especially those aging out.

I think the average age of most top 12 corps members is somewhere around 19 and increases the closer it reaches the top 6. I don't have any definitive data, but I seem to recall a few studies that supported this number. It obviously changes from year to year and from corps to corps, but I think this average is close IMO.

That said, while there may be certain challenges that a younger member may experience I think the rookie aspect MAY be more prevalent than the age factor. I will tell you that when I marched my rookie year at Boston I took a lot of crap as well and I was 19/20 (July baby)! It made me a better performer in all aspects for the next season. I can honestly say I grew from the experience.