Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

Great pick up for the Crusaders IMO...

Yes good pick up.

• Like 1

I was a member of the Crusader's in '78 the year we put on the performance for Chick Corea. We performed his composition "Spanish Fantasy." It was his composition but of course it was arranged by our Eric Rosen. Mr. Corea truly did seem to enjoy our performance though I'm sure his enjoyment must have been somewhat influenced by the fact that he had been informed prior to his arrival that the Boston Crusader's were basically a group of street urchins trying to find our way in the world. Just a little Crusader propaganda fed to him by our then assistant Brass instructor Mark Bellivue who was tasked with pulling on the heart strings of Mr. Corea in order to elicit a donation. We were desperate for money back then so we weren't above shaking down Chick for a little cake.

The Crusader's of that era were most definitely a group of street wise, smart ###ed, young adults which meant that Mr. Corea did not escape getting his chops busted a bit. I do remember that he handled it all well enough though it did seem, towards the end of our Q & A with him, that he was becoming somewhat irked by our insistence on referring to him as Chip and not Chick. I also remember that one of the questions posed by one of my fellow Crusader's did leave Chip somewhat defensive. The question? "How long did it take you to write Hill Where the Lord Hides". Chick's response was to try to inform us of what we already knew. Chuck Mangione was the composer of "Hill Where the Lord Hides". He then added that he did manage to create "Spanish Fantasy" in only two weeks.

Two weeks!!! We may have been a bunch of smart ###ed kids back in the day but we did know when to shut up and that statement shut us up. For those of you who are in possession of Chick Corea's "Spanish Fantasy" I would think that your appreciation of that album has just increased more than a bit.

Edited by Bsader
  • Like 1

I was a member of the Crusader's in '78 the year we put on the performance for Chick Corea. We performed his composition "Spanish Fantasy." It was his composition but of course it was arranged by our Eric Rosen. Mr. Corea truly did seem to enjoy our performance though I'm sure his enjoyment must have been somewhat influenced by the fact that he had been informed prior to his arrival that the Boston Crusader's were basically a group of street urchins trying to find our way in the world. Just a little Crusader propaganda fed to him by our then assistant Brass instructor Mark Bellivue who was tasked with pulling on the heart strings of Mr. Corea in order to elicit a donation. We were desperate for money back then so we weren't above shaking down Chick for a little cake.

The Crusader's of that era were most definitely a group of street wise, smart ###ed, young adults which meant that Mr. Corea did not escape getting his chops busted a bit. I do remember that he handled it all well enough though it did seem, towards the end of our Q & A with him, that he was becoming somewhat irked by our insistence on referring to him as Chip and not Chick. I also remember that one of the questions posed by one of my fellow Crusader's did leave Chip somewhat defensive. The question? "How long did it take you to write Hill Where the Lord Hides". Chick's response was to try to inform us of what we already knew. Chuck Mangione was the composer of "Hill Where the Lord Hides". He then added that he did manage to create "Spanish Fantasy" in only two weeks.

Two weeks!!! We may have been a bunch of smart ###ed kids back in the day but we did know when to shut up and that statement shut us up. For those of you who are in possession of Chick Corea's "Spanish Fantasy" I would think that your appreciation of that album has just increased more than a bit.

Great story from a great year for BAC, the year I think should have been BAC's first year in finals (77 would have been a worthy contender too).

Great story from a great year for BAC, the year I think should have been BAC's first year in finals (77 would have been a worthy contender too).

1976 was not to bad as well

Just watched the tralier. Apparently it's a show about knights?

I'm thinking maybe about the Crusades...but honestly I have NO clue.