Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

How did I miss it!...lol...beautiful balance...WTG BAC :thumbup: ....this is just one of those pieces that they can really shine if they build this one to a climax with a wonderful expression...

Nice!

• Like 1

Liahona, I wasn't at the Community Performance last night as I left Castleton around noon yesterday. I WAS able to watch two days worth of rehearsals, however, including two full ensemble rehearsals. Here are a few thoughts, which although I will attempt to share without any sense of hype, some of our resident Boston haters will flame at in any event.

First of all, unlike last year's show (which I loved, btw) there are no deeper meanings to be found here. This is a production which is far from subtle. What is it about? BAC. Period. It is aggressive, in your face, no apologies drum corps, and "Conquest" is far more than a title for them. While younger folks probably think Conquest is comprised of those 6 quarternotes, older folks like us will remember that it is actually a production from the movie "Captain from Castille", written by Alfred Newman. It seems to me that the design choice here was that rather than simply play it in full, the writers actually made it the glue of the show. There is great, rich, regal music throughout, and segments of Conquest suddenly appear and reappear almost like a thread weaving the entire production together. (I also like the musical 'Easter eggs' within the show....don't want to give these away, but you'll hear a couple homages in there from time to time).

The opening with the four armies (and yes, the "Calls" are in) along with the surdo percussion feature serves as a sort of call to war. I also should say that Boston's guard is massive, and seems to me to be ahead of last year in terms of both the book and the clarity. There are three dozen props, which move throughout the show, and while I only saw their framework, I am guessing they will be carrying the battle standards of the armies.

Staying on the visual aspect of things, the hornline also has more visual clarity now than at this juncture last year, This may be partially due to design, but also it strikes me that the corps looks older this year. I am told there are more vets than ever. This is confirmed by the fact that I've visited Castleton twice over the last few weeks, and there were very few members missing due to high school responsibilities. Could it be that Boston finally has a college-aged drum corps? I think they do.

Gone are last year's double cross straps. The corps has returned to one cross strap (with buckle) and this reveals more red on the uniform front, along with Waldo's roaring head. I only saw the guard uniforms in the box, so I can only say that they will also be very thematic and no, I didn't see any masks of any kind.

I should also note that Boston has several unexpected elements in their show this year, both in terms of instrumentation and effect. It is clear that the organization is exploding financially and otherwise, because everything is new, custom made, and top of the line. The BOD clearly has been getting it done behind the scenes.

The show has frequent applause points which seem organic and intentional, and it seems to go by in a flash. I think a lot of folks will find it to be a fan favorite this year.

One last thing...as an alum, I have been concerned since last fall about the programming of the 75th....yes, I love Hava Nagalia and California Dreamin', but I really hoped the design team would craft a contemporary show with the appropraie nods to the past, rather than a "greatest hits" show. Well, they succeeded and exceeded my expectations.

"Conquest" is exciting, engaging, and nobody is going to say "I don't get it"....well on DCP, who knows? :tounge2:

Craiga well put and I agree with your assesment right on man. They had a pretty good crowd there last night for their 1st run through. I have to mention what a great site Casleton is for BAC spring camp. Just beautiful. They have done a great job in the past 3wks with the base programming of their show. The music will speak for it's self. Love the sound with the new horns/drums and as the show matures I think fans will enjoy this years show. Note: The 1st thing you see at the beginning of their show at center stage are these big drums very impressive and the rest of the corps enters from all four conners of the field. Have a great day.

Liahona, I wasn't at the Community Performance last night as I left Castleton around noon yesterday. I WAS able to watch two days worth of rehearsals, however, including two full ensemble rehearsals. Here are a few thoughts, which although I will attempt to share without any sense of hype, some of our resident Boston haters will flame at in any event.

First of all, unlike last year's show (which I loved, btw) there are no deeper meanings to be found here. This is a production which is far from subtle. What is it about? BAC. Period. It is aggressive, in your face, no apologies drum corps, and "Conquest" is far more than a title for them. While younger folks probably think Conquest is comprised of those 6 quarternotes, older folks like us will remember that it is actually a production from the movie "Captain from Castille", written by Alfred Newman. It seems to me that the design choice here was that rather than simply play it in full, the writers actually made it the glue of the show. There is great, rich, regal music throughout, and segments of Conquest suddenly appear and reappear almost like a thread weaving the entire production together. (I also like the musical 'Easter eggs' within the show....don't want to give these away, but you'll hear a couple homages in there from time to time).

The opening with the four armies (and yes, the "Calls" are in) along with the surdo percussion feature serves as a sort of call to war. I also should say that Boston's guard is massive, and seems to me to be ahead of last year in terms of both the book and the clarity. There are three dozen props, which move throughout the show, and while I only saw their framework, I am guessing they will be carrying the battle standards of the armies.

Staying on the visual aspect of things, the hornline also has more visual clarity now than at this juncture last year, This may be partially due to design, but also it strikes me that the corps looks older this year. I am told there are more vets than ever. This is confirmed by the fact that I've visited Castleton twice over the last few weeks, and there were very few members missing due to high school responsibilities. Could it be that Boston finally has a college-aged drum corps? I think they do.

Gone are last year's double cross straps. The corps has returned to one cross strap (with buckle) and this reveals more red on the uniform front, along with Waldo's roaring head. I only saw the guard uniforms in the box, so I can only say that they will also be very thematic and no, I didn't see any masks of any kind.

I should also note that Boston has several unexpected elements in their show this year, both in terms of instrumentation and effect. It is clear that the organization is exploding financially and otherwise, because everything is new, custom made, and top of the line. The BOD clearly has been getting it done behind the scenes.

The show has frequent applause points which seem organic and intentional, and it seems to go by in a flash. I think a lot of folks will find it to be a fan favorite this year.

One last thing...as an alum, I have been concerned since last fall about the programming of the 75th....yes, I love Hava Nagalia and California Dreamin', but I really hoped the design team would craft a contemporary show with the appropraie nods to the past, rather than a "greatest hits" show. Well, they succeeded and exceeded my expectations.

"Conquest" is exciting, engaging, and nobody is going to say "I don't get it"....well on DCP, who knows? :tounge2:

Hi Craiga, I was there Sunday for a very short visit so I wasn't able to see all you saw. what I did see is an organization that has it act together more than ever. I met a few people and was very impressed with the attitude and dedication thay all have to these kids. I will agree with you on the overall look of the MM's. They definitely look to be a bit older and I was shocked (happily) to learn how long some have been there. I believe last years performance challenges are actually going to pay off this year. I am missing the Spring Fling this week but I am planing on being at Gillette on July 2, and the July 3rd rehearsal in Boston. See you then. At Gillette the BAC DCP'rs should all meet.

Awesome review! I'm excited now...Thanks Craiga!!!

Thanks for the run down Craiga.

Any of BC diehards know which year Ryan George started arranging for them?

His books along with Klesch's seem always be written in a way that engages me months after the season and with only the audio track playing.

I think Ryan's first year of arranging for BAC was 2013. I met him at the rehearsal camp in Virginia the weekend of the President's Inaugural parade, which would have been January of 13.

Come on down tonight at 5 Norman B. Leventhal Park. Boston Inspire Arts & Music Free concert in the park.

Thanks for the run down Craiga.

Any of BC diehards know which year Ryan George started arranging for them?

His books along with Klesch's seem always be written in a way that engages me months after the season and with only the audio track playing.

Ryan George's first year writing for the corps was in 2012. I was in the horn line and we were all VERY happy to have him. He is fantastic.