Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

Interesting, I like a lot of stuff in that.

Percussion sounds fantastic.

Cool music, Conquest is nice at the end.

SURDO.

Definitely getting a lot of that medieval vibe. Was wondering how different this show would be from their 2010 70th Anniversary show that seemed similar in theme. Definitely not a concern to me now.

Singer is nice.

My only interest is the brass, it might be a combination of the percussion/synth being in front of them and drowning them out some as well as whatever they used to record the audio, but they sound a little thin to my ears? We'll see, I'll definitely wait to get a better listen on that. Very interested to see what the visual program is like, to me last year that was a huge factor. Best of luck on your 75th Boston!

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

What would be the penalty charged for using actual bagpipes instead of synthesizers in the opening passage? (Call that 30 seconds pre-show and there'd be no penalty, right?) I'm all for real woodwinds rather than ersatz ones.

Very glad that the singer is live.

Agreed that the brass often seems to be dominated by the pit, but I suspect that it's issues with the recording microphone placement to blame.

• Like 1

Interesting, I like a lot of stuff in that.

Percussion sounds fantastic.

Cool music, Conquest is nice at the end.

SURDO.

Definitely getting a lot of that medieval vibe. Was wondering how different this show would be from their 2010 70th Anniversary show that seemed similar in theme. Definitely not a concern to me now.

Singer is nice.

My only interest is the brass, it might be a combination of the percussion/synth being in front of them and drowning them out some as well as whatever they used to record the audio, but they sound a little thin to my ears? We'll see, I'll definitely wait to get a better listen on that. Very interested to see what the visual program is like, to me last year that was a huge factor. Best of luck on your 75th Boston!

You're very right about the thin sounding hornline. So much so that I would have thought I was listening to the Cavies if I wasn't watching the video. I suspect it might have to do more with the recording than the hornline itself though since their hornline has sounded pretty nice the past couple years.

On the positive side, the music arrangements sound great! The whole show has this medieval vibe that I love. The game of thrones in the pre show sounds a little funny to someone who's been listening to that in the intro to the TV show for 5 years but it's only June. Ballad is absolutely gorgeous and is going to be a stunner by finals. The only thing I didn't like about the ballad was that they turned the singer into the main attraction for the ballad rather than the hornline.

What would be the penalty charged for using actual bagpipes instead of synthesizers in the opening passage? (Call that 30 seconds pre-show and there'd be no penalty, right?) I'm all for real woodwinds rather than ersatz ones.

Very glad that the singer is live.

Agreed that the brass often seems to be dominated by the pit, but I suspect that it's issues with the recording microphone placement to blame.

I hear that the singer is also a member of the color guard....so she is just not there for the singing part.

I agree the hornline did get drowned out by pit at times...but I think you may be right in terms of microphone placement..anyways I'll reserve my comments until I see them live this season...who would have thought we'd hear bagpipes....come on BAC...bring us the real thing and take a penalty...It never stopped you in the past...LOL

There are a lot of great "wow" moments in that program. Singer is great, and the opening drums and synth grab you right off. Love how they weave Conquest in there. There are just some stretches that don't feel like they gel yet, but that could just be early season as well. Overall, I like.

• Like 1

...who would have thought we'd hear bagpipes....come on BAC...bring us the real thing and take a penalty...It never stopped you in the past...LOL

It wouldn't suprise me if they did it "the BAC way" at the end of the season, and bring out the real bagpipe. Isn't it ok as part of the pre-show?

I see that they've designed 4 differnt tour t-shirts representing each of the "armies"? Great marketing plan too. I'll take Gryffindor!

I hear that the singer is also a member of the color guard....so she is just not there for the singing part.

You are correct. Spoke with her shortly after the SF performance and asked her not to get injured with a saber or catch a cold. She added "getting hit in the head". Even indoors, with lousy acoustic's, she sounded great, the added horn solo was very nice, and she and the brass complimented each other. The last note is gorgeous. (Did I just type that?)

Edited by Ghost

Really liking this. There may be another corps using singing this year, but I already said too much.

Don't take my word for what I said in my last post. Just rumor I've heard.

Really liking this. There may be another corps using singing this year, but I already said too much.

Colts posted a video already with singing as well, if that is whom you meant. If it's someone else, well I guess we know what the new-fangled trend of 2015 is

Edited by Eleran