Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

I lurk 99.9% of the time, so when I do come out to play, I can be rather salty. That said, you're one of my favorite contributors and definitely someone I follow on here for good discussion. My slight, trolling, aside.

Well you come out and play in our sandbox more, Salty. I'll save you a spot, even if you toss sand around from time to time. ( thanks for the good words, by the way )

Edited by BRASSO

Caring about drum major salutes, retreat traditions, and odd militaristic values that have little to no bearing on the actual direction of the activity and have no real connection to today's youth..... is ridiculous.

If anything, the Troopers DM stuff is a time waster, and one of the reasons why full retreat has gone by the wayside. I'll pass on watching Gabe take 25 minutes to come out on the field with the premise being, "But that's the way we did it in 1976!"

Like it or not, it's tradition. Tradition should be respected by those that represent the activity - especially from its leaders. If someone doesn't like it, then resolve the matter off the field and do it the right way. I'm not big on the slow retreat either, but it's part of the time-honored tradition of the Troopers and drum corps. Change it if you will, but don't make a mockery of it in full view. That's just disrepectful - period!

• Like 2

Caring about drum major salutes, retreat traditions, and odd militaristic values that have little to no bearing on the actual direction of the activity and have no real connection to today's youth..... is ridiculous.

If anything, the Troopers DM stuff is a time waster, and one of the reasons why full retreat has gone by the wayside. I'll pass on watching Gabe take 25 minutes to come out on the field with the premise being, "But that's the way we did it in 1976!"

The slow pace of the Troopers' drum major has very little if anything to do with fewer full retreats. For one thing, I don't think the slow pace has been a continuous tradition. I think it fell by the wayside and was once again revived, but it may also be in more recent years the DM's pace has gotten slower so it seems to be a revived tradition. That being said, as Troopers have reclaimed their traditions, their shows have become more competitive and ironically, more contemporary. Tighter schedules are the biggest reason for fewer full retreats. Another factor is the mass exodus after the last performance. Why wait when there's a good chance the scores are posted to the internet prior to their being announced?

Speaking of full retreats, will there be one in Foxboro?

Speaking of full retreats, will there be one in Foxboro?

No idea, but with most of the corps staying in the area over July 4th, it could be done. I notice that the Beanpot also has three senior corps listed. The CYO held late in July would have the tradition to do one, but some of those corps are off to A-town.

Seriously? Do you really believe that BAC's drum majors had nothing else on their minds to make "a mockery" of Troopers traditions? Knowing them, which I do, I can tell you that was the farthest from their minds. Talk about nitpicking...jeez...

I remember when I had my first beer.

• Like 2

Seriously? Do you really believe that BAC's drum majors had nothing else on their minds to make "a mockery" of Troopers traditions? Knowing them, which I do, I can tell you that was the farthest from their minds. Talk about nitpicking...jeez...

Well, if they weren't aware, then hopefully they will be now. Perhaps a lesson learned.

Well, if they weren't aware, then hopefully they will be now. Perhaps a lesson learned.

There comes a time when "traditions' need to be modified or updated. If only out of respect for tother organizations time. The agonizingly slow pace of the Troopers DM's is a bit much. I enjoy tradition as much as the next guy, but pick up the pace just a bit. It used ot be a tradition of BAC BITD to one at a time come up to the starting line, set yourself then crack to parade rest (buckle and grunt). To do that now, in keeping with "tradition", it could take a half hour to get the corps on the field.

Many corps have traditions that have been adjusted through the years. I don't see any reason why Troopers can't make a bit of an adjustment and actually show a little swagger doing it.

As far as not having full retreats, I'm OK no retreats. They were a huge time killer and nowdays with the amount of equipment needing to be loaded up after a show corps need to get on the road as quickly as possible as well as feeding MM's after a show. From a spectator's POV, retreats do little for me. Except I can never get enough of Cavies marching beat when exiting a retreat.

• Like 2

I was at the Pittsburgh show. The Troopers drum major came off the field quickly well ahead of the other drum majors. it must not be a "tradition" that is done every time. Just when he feels the need.

I did see him go extremely slow prior to this show holding up everyone else. It's a little ridiculous to me.