Communication, whats it all about?

I don't think we heard this kind of dissatisfaction when the New England Patriots had an undefeated regular season and then lost the super bowl. Nobody was petitioning the NFL because New England was "Supposed to" win the championship based off regular season results...Heck, in 2011, we didn't hear the Bucs people demanding the trophy because they were "Supposed to" win the championship based off the regular season. They lost with class.

Flag for invalid argument. Football is an objective competition. Drum corps is subjectively-based competition. It's like comparing apples and bananas.

Flag for invalid argument. Football is an objective competition. Drum corps is subjectively-based competition. It's like comparing apples and bananas.

okay...good thing I had 2 arguments with a more related example for the second...

and speaking of an unbiased opinion, thank you for commentary during finals.

This is turning into an applause - meter. Who can make the audience applaud the loudest.

There was a drum corps handing out blue cards to their alumni which had a guide when the audience members were too applaud.

If steel city would have had that years ago they wouldn't have been leapfrogged like this year.

I disagree, its often not even comparing fruit. Its like comparing apples and FORKS!

though i often don't agree with the judges, you can't hate the players, you gotta hate the game. So play in it and deal, or take your pail and go find another sandbox. Yeah that's a crappy attitude, sorry all, but that's kind of how it is. If the directors want to change the way the games are played, they need to vote for change.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2

Someone is bitter...

nobody really has any weight in their conversation because each person has their favorite group. There is nobody with an unbiased opinion.

To call DCA a mess and discredit the Bucs championship because YOUR team did not win is very very childish. I feel very sorry for the son/daughter in the Cabs organization who's father is taking to the DCA facebook page and is talking about filing a petition because his son/daughter did not win like he wanted. This is all just crazy...just let it be. If you don't like it, then suit up and do something about it.

I don't think we heard this kind of dissatisfaction when the New England Patriots had an undefeated regular season and then lost the super bowl. Nobody was petitioning the NFL because New England was "Supposed to" win the championship based off regular season results...Heck, in 2011, we didn't hear the Bucs people demanding the trophy because they were "Supposed to" win the championship based off the regular season. They lost with class.

what the guy wants to protest the finals outcome? he thinks they'll go back and adjust the scores? where's this gem to be found

I wasn't there on Sunday Night so I can't give an honest opinion on the scores based on that performance. However the whole collusion and conspiracy by DCA talk is kinds silly. The Cabs have been the biggest stalwart of DCA since its second year. Any show sponsor knows that the Cabs are the biggest crowd draw even in areas where other corps are based. they have a large hard core fan base they follows them to where ever. For DCA to collude and plan to deny them a title would not be in the best interests of DCA or anyone involved with DCA. That is why I have to believe that the judges gave an honest evaluation of what they saw that night. If the argument was that Cadet's 2 were denied because of peoples problems with their director, or if it was that Fusion Core had not paid their dues yet I think they would be more valid arguments. But I cannot see judges or the organization deliberately trying to bring down the Corps that basically defined DCA for most of 50 years.

• Like 2

9 judges were given the difficult task to rank and rate 4 Class A corps and 10 Open Class corps, not taking anything into consideration other than the performance of the moment and the criteria on their specific sheet.

DCA (= the 10 voting members) revise the rules every two years and then all agree to abide by them.

The judges are picked by the Chief Judge for Prelims & Finals. Then, we trust these experienced men & women will do their absolute best to get their caption right.

Fans, on the other hand, watch "the shows", and are able to decide, for themselves, which corps they felt was the best, and which was 2nd, 3rd, etc. Some are more informed than others, but all have some bias.

For anyone to think their OPINION is more valid than the 9 judge system, with all of the weighting and averaging that the member corps have agreed upon, would be ludicrous. It funny that some say things like "undoubtedly" or "everyone could see" or other absolute statements of fact, when it's really just their opinion.

DCA did their best. The Buccaneers are the 2014 DCA World Champion. Case closed.

• Like 1

Just for the record, I think DCA gets it right most of the time. The communication thing is still a bit of a mystery, but this conversation is helping and I hope it will continue.

Please try to stay on topic, but as we say in the Govies, passionate people have passionate opioions, so go fight it out somewhere else, and come back when your ready to play nice again.

...and crying is OK

• Like 1

The judges are picked by the Chief Judge for Prelims & Finals. Then, we trust these experienced men & women will do their absolute best to get their caption right.

Is this statement accurate? ... It was always my understanding (when I marched/taught DCA) that the Caption Heads chose the Prelims/Finals judging panels as a group, based on their performance and exposure throughout the competition season ... is this something new? ... If so, it's a heavy burden for the Chief Judge to build knowledge of each judge that qualifies for selection ...

Could someone expound on this?

Thanks ...

:-)

• Like 2

Is this statement accurate? ... It was always my understanding (when I marched/taught DCA) that the Caption Heads chose the Prelims/Finals judging panels as a group, based on their performance and exposure throughout the competition season ... is this something new? ... If so, it's a heavy burden for the Chief Judge to build knowledge of each judge that qualifies for selection ...

Could someone expound on this?

Thanks ...

:-)

I'm sure caption heads chime in

• Like 1