MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Agree...their only placement in the top 6 this century was a show decidedly outside of their identity, even using a female in the guard as they performed "Carmen" (and yes, I know their director's 10-year-old daughter marched in 71 as 'Alice').

Other than the character of Carmen, what was outside our identity?

96 is one of my favorites of all time too. '95 gets all the hype, but I like '96 better. One of the best upper lead soprano lines ever. I didn't realize they did some of Camillo's stuff that year. Thanks!

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

I think the staff of the last few year has done just what you are asking.( and a good job of it )

So what's the answer? Well, I say 1st decide what you want to be as a corps . Could it mean a flair of the big sound, aggressive Madison we know , yes it could be. could it mean the complete opposite YES it could be. Does the corps need to remember it's going on 2015 and they are in a competition. YES, 1st and foremost! It's nice to think we all don't care about competition but thats easy to say on this side of it. Fall out of the competitive arena and there might not be a corps. JMO

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned aggression. That could be the element missing. Madison has always owned a good portion of the crowd when they perform, and their respect for the audience and appreciation are both evident in their shows. This has not changed, but the feeling is not always there in some recent shows, though as I say this I know I personally have loved their shows and 2013 ranks among my favorite Madison shows, but it had a power, impact, aggression, or whatever you call it. I'm thinking this is not something designed as much as something instilled. Perhaps as alums teach about brotherhood, which from what I understand they do well, they could teach the swagger as well.

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned aggression. That could be the element missing. Madison has always owned a good portion of the crowd when they perform, and their respect for the audience and appreciation are both evident in their shows. This has not changed, but the feeling is not always there in some recent shows, though as I say this I know I personally have loved their shows and 2013 ranks among my favorite Madison shows, but it had a power, impact, aggression, or whatever you call it. I'm thinking this is not something designed as much as something instilled. Perhaps as alums teach about brotherhood, which from what I understand they do well, they could teach the swagger as well.

I'll second aggression. When I think of Madison, I think of the obvious in your face attitude, but a nuance of their trademark could be a dark and maybe even angry aggression. An example from this year was "Star Children" which has an erie start, but because it was in a minor key, has a somewhat dark yet incredibly powerful in your face climax consistent with the brand. This was got people out of their seats because they really miss this dark intensity from the Scouts (IMO)

That's absolutely ridiculous. Do some corps have strong identities? Sure. But doing a show out of a corps' identity is not going to hurt their score in any way. The only reason it would hurt their score would be if the staff weren't capable of teaching the style effectively to the members. General effect is general effect, and the corps that's performing the effect doesn't make a difference (well, other than execution scores). It's all in the show design.

yeah...imagine Scouts do a Carmen show and let a girl in.....

oops.

Also BRASSO, may I point out this you said the following in the Boston Crusaders 75th Anniversary post (post #29)

Why exactly have you written the EXACT POLAR OPPOSITE of what you wrote in this topic here? It seems like you have a little thinking to do about which side you're actually on. If you're going to try to derail threads by pointlessly bringing the G7 into every single thing you post, atleast do it right. :poke:

he's on his side and it can change per topic. plus when he quotes you to reply, odds are he doesn't quote the full passage, just that which suits his needs

Thank you very much!

Not sure if you remember me, but this is ACN. I was a pretty vocal supporter of the Scouts here from '07-'09. I was away for a while, but had to create a new account etc.... Anyway, I'm back!

So with the "retirement" of Jim Mason, does this signify the end of the Bloomington Indiana experiment?

Edited by FlamMan

So with the "retirement" of Jim Mason, is this signify the end of the Bloomington Indiana experiment?

I'd contact Greg Auby with that question or Chris Komnick. They both recently put their email addresses on the alumni facebook page. I'm sure they can answer that question.

Edited by tesmusic