MADISON SCOUTS 2015

I like you. Someday we shall get a beer together, simply for you typing this. Make NEW CLASSICS!! Though for what its worth, if you want to talk identity via sound, Boerma is the Madison Sound.

Oh, trust me. I love that sound. There was nothing like it back in the day. Scott Boerma was my college band director and I love him dearly as a friend and colleague.

Did you happen to catch the Bluecoats?

Wow, one exception blew up the whole argument. No.

How so? The crowd loved the Bluecoats...they loved Blue Devils too...as well as the other top corps. And those groups were VERY competitive.

We're talking about the Madison Scouts, right? Not the BC or BD

You made a very general statement. He replied back appropriately. What's the issue?

• Like 2

You made a generic statement that says this:

"Funny how "competitively relevant" and "crowd pleasing" seem to be mutually exclusive ideas today. Okay, not funny. Sad."

THAT is not a Scout-specfic comment, hence my own non-Scout-specific comment. Your statement is just so NOT true. Lots of shows by "competitively relevant" corps in many seasons are also "crowd pleasing".

• Like 4

You made a generic statement that says this:

"Funny how "competitively relevant" and "crowd pleasing" seem to be mutually exclusive ideas today. Okay, not funny. Sad."

THAT is not a Scout-specfic comment, hence my own non-Scout-specific comment. Your statement is just so NOT true. Lots of shows by "competitively relevant" corps in many seasons are also "crowd pleasing".

And how do you know it wasn't a comment specific to the Scouts, in this Scouts thread? Because you can read my mind? I'm sorry, you can attempt to revise history all you like, but for my money the Madison Scouts have stayed closest their roots as a crowd pleasing, entertaining, exciting corps as any corps. And I appreciate them big time for that. And they get trashed, competitively and on DCP for it. And as far as the activity as a whole, in my opinion the distinct direction of the activity over the past several years has been to sacrifice crowd appeal for competitive placement. Are there exceptions? Yes there are exceptions. Does that disprove my opinion concerning the general direction the activity has taken? No. I, for one, will take a 10th place or 12th place Scouts show any day over much of the over amplified, over narrated, over emoed, over body contortioned fare I've seen from higher placing corps.

I said it. Hockeydad said it.

• Like 1

And how do you know it wasn't a comment specific to the Scouts, in this Scouts thread? Because you can read my mind? I'm sorry, you can attempt to revise history all you like, but for my money the Madison Scouts have stayed closest their roots as a crowd pleasing, entertaining, exciting corps as any corps. And I appreciate them big time for that. And they get trashed, competitively and on DCP for it. And as far as the activity as a whole, in my opinion the distinct direction of the activity over the past several years has been to sacrifice crowd appeal for competitive placement. Are there exceptions? Yes there are exceptions. Does that disprove my opinion concerning the general direction the activity has taken? No. I, for one, will take a 10th place or 12th place Scouts show any day over much of the over amplified, over narrated, over emoed, over body contortioned fare I've seen from higher placing corps.

Then why still follow the activity? Not starting anything, but if I were that upset about the direction, I would not be watching it.

• Like 5

You may want to take it BUT the kid thats paying 3 grand plus may not want to nor other Scouts Fans. Look you are certainly entitled to your opinion as well as your likes ad dislikes, No argument there but to ignore the importance of the competition aspect of this activity ( something in the roots of drum corps ) would be IMO a selfish and a non supportive behavior of the Scouts as well as the activity. Scouts can not stay in 12th and maintain that, few corps can. There will always be someone knocking at that door. Eventually, it would be very possible Scouts would just drift away, which IMO is way more not acceptable than a synth, or any silly narration or a soft ending to a show. Just my opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

Hmm if entertainment is that much more important to you than competition, (and in that aspect I shockingly agree with you. I'll take entertaining over high placing which is why BK had my favorite show this year) then why are you so bummed about some corps supposedly not being entertaining and high placing? (please keep in mind entertaining is very subjective. I understand you have, er, older tastes but I found the top 12 pretty #### entertaining through and through)

• Like 1