MADISON SCOUTS 2015

as well I know, having been on tours since the beginning of DCI and part of helping to found WGI too.

in this, size doesn't matter, it's the end product which will count.

Guard staffs and Percussion staffs are much like the old immigrants who used to be told by their families and friends, Write if you find work....and they would all follow. Guard staffs particularly accumulate everyone they have ever met at WGI and then get dumped big time when the results don't match and the budgets (salary, travel, fabric, more travel, more fabric) go way out of line.

Percussion folks are akin, but they get to do endorsements.

For my money it is the brass and visual staffs who have the largest faculty-student loads, especially visual. But then again many feel the brass folks are better educators and the students better too.

as well I know, having been on tours since the beginning of DCI and part of helping to found WGI too.

in this, size doesn't matter, it's the end product which will count.

Guard staffs and Percussion staffs are much like the old immigrants who used to be told by their families and friends, Write if you find work....and they would all follow. Guard staffs particularly accumulate everyone they have ever met at WGI and then get dumped big time when the results don't match and the budgets (salary, travel, fabric, more travel, more fabric) go way out of line.

Percussion folks are akin, but they get to do endorsements.

For my money it is the brass and visual staffs who have the largest faculty-student loads, especially visual. But then again many feel the brass folks are better educators and the students better too.

Guard staffs have also become very specialized . BITD we were a staff of maybe 1 or 2 and good at it or not we had to learn EVERYTHING. This IMO is a reason you still see some of us and some big names in the activity still around. Today most new staff will just do rifle, or flag or sabre or dance or stretches or clean all different things etc etc etc.

BITD you did it all !

It's also another reason when some of these bands hire a young new person to head their guard program , who marched in some big top 5 corps they get all excited only to find out it didn't work in many cases , often a diaster. It didnt work because many bands cant hire 20 people to do 1 section and expect the new hire to be able to do it all.

oops.........back to Madison

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Guard staffs have also become very specialized . BITD we were a staff of maybe 1 or 2 and good at it or not we had to learn EVERYTHING. This IMO is a reason you still see some of us and some big names in the activity still around. Today most new staff will just do rifle, or flag or sabre or dance or stretches or clean all different things etc etc etc.

BITD you did it all !

It's also another reason when some of these bands hire a young new person to head their guard program , who marched in some big top 5 corps they get all excited only to find out it didn't work in many cases , often a diaster. It didnt work because many bands cant hire 20 people to do 1 section and expect the new hire to be able to do it all.

oops.........back to Madison

well not to mention that being a performer -- even a very good performer -- has little to do with being a great teacher.

just-sayin.jpg

• Like 4

Color Guard

David Veda, Caption Supervisor

Susan Hanggi, Caption Head

Ian Lewis, Assistant Caption Head

Kelsey Gleason, Instructor

KC Perkins, Instructor

Carrie Short, Instructor

Thomas Thawley, Instructor

Brian Winn, Instructor

Brandt Wright, Instructor

Robbie Billings, Choreographer

Adam Dalton, Choreographer

Michael James, Choreographer

Damon Padilla, Choreographer

CRAZY GOOD NEWS

With Chad Duggan on Visual too

How in the world can a drum corps afford to pay 13 color guard instructors? Wow.

are you saying between the lines that some of them aren't worth the money?

or is it a package deal, if I get Joe Flagg, then I have to get Minnie Rifle and Sammy Sabre too, plus Twirly Girley for dance, and Emote E. Conn for drama????

are you saying between the lines that some of them aren't worth the money?

or is it a package deal, if I get Joe Flagg, then I have to get Minnie Rifle and Sammy Sabre too, plus Twirly Girley for dance, and Emote E. Conn for drama????

I'm not saying anything "between the lines". It's simple math, really.

The numbers below are completely hypothetical, obviously (but sometimes what seems obvious isn't necessarily so in these threads).

You could pay Joe Flagg to be on the road with you all summer for $25,000, or you could pay Joe, Minnie, Sammy et al a total of $25,000, and have all of them teach (which is more likely in this activity, given that this isn't a full-time gig for any of them).

Either way, you pay $25K. The number of instructors is irrelevant.

Edited by msesq

I see your point.

My experience is that there are usually one or two who get the bigger money, sometimes peanuts to the rest or just the prestige of putting in their resume,
"summer staff for DCI big name drum corps guard."