MADISON SCOUTS 2015

I see your point.

My experience is that there are usually one or two who get the bigger money, sometimes peanuts to the rest or just the prestige of putting in their resume,

"summer staff for DCI big name drum corps guard."

Agreed. I think the money gets divided among the instructors based on a variety of factors.

How in the world can a drum corps afford to pay 13 color guard instructors? Wow.

Have you not followed the activity in the last 15 years? This is normal in world class.

Write to Komnick, Peterson, Auby. Someone. Your useless rhetoric on here is old and tired.

If you cared at all about the corps you "marched" prove it and get off these forums and talk to someone that can do something. Not here, you're talking to the wrong forum.

• Like 1

Let me ask this another way but probably the idea should be put in another thread. Can Drum Corps survive when in order to be "competative" (pick your own definition of the word) the paid staff is this large? I always thought about cost of equipment and never realized there was this much staff.

And save insults and statements of "that's the way it's done" for someone else. I'm thinking of survival.....

Let me ask this another way but probably the idea should be put in another thread. Can Drum Corps survive when in order to be "competative" (pick your own definition of the word) the paid staff is this large? I always thought about cost of equipment and never realized there was this much staff.

And save insults and statements of "that's the way it's done" for someone else. I'm thinking of survival.....

There are many ways that a staff person gets paid. YES for sure compared to bitd it is very different. I said earlier that staff being so specialized ( especially for visual or guard ) many staff don't know how or can't be a section of 1 or 2 in charge like BITD. Yes , I do think it has made for a less rounded staff person and does hurt in the long run, staff and corps or band.

Now, to how some pay people.

There are one or 2 ( mostly the seasoned staff and many times one who can do it all but doesnt ) will get or can get some big bucks. Then there are those who specialize in one thing or another that come in at strategic times to do their thing, then there are those who are young and it's all about getting out there and using the corps name to gain other jobs, fall or winter. Those staff often dont get much if anything besides transportation and food etc etc.Also not all staff are together all summer. Often many times a full on staff really isn't together until right before championships.

Edited by GUARDLING

Thanks for the info, when names are just listed it can give wrong impressions of what is going on. And one would hope that corps balance show needs vs financial needs. And BITD we did call in short time staff to work on corps shortcomings (mainly M&M then). Would be more interesting (and informative) if we knew what each staff member would be working on and how long. But that would be corps business and we're not in a "need to know" for that.

The way it was in the years that I marched, some of the instructors would only be at camps, or just for every days, or a mixture of camps, every days, and tour. Only a few were on staff for every camp, every days, and tour. I also think that the admin had a minimum amount of time off that they required every staff member to take so that they wouldn't get tour fatigue and they could get away and come back with a fresh set of eyes.

• Like 1

There are many ways that a staff person gets paid. YES for sure compared to bitd it is very different. I said earlier that staff being so specialized ( especially for visual or guard ) many staff don't know how or can't be a section of 1 or 2 in charge like BITD. Yes , I do think it has made for a less rounded staff person and does hurt in the long run, staff and corps or band.

Now, to how some pay people.

There are one or 2 ( mostly the seasoned staff and many times one who can do it all but doesnt ) will get or can get some big bucks. Then there are those who specialize in one thing or another that come in at strategic times to do their thing, then there are those who are young and it's all about getting out there and using the corps name to gain other jobs, fall or winter. Those staff often dont get much if anything besides transportation and food etc etc.Also not all staff are together all summer. Often many times a full on staff really isn't together until right before championships.

wait. you mean there's not 13 guard staff on tour with the scouts at all time? i'm so disappointed as i was looking forward to seeing them walk the runway at the start of every show :-(

• Like 2