MADISON SCOUTS 2015

So are the Scouts still having camps & rehearsals in Bloomington or is that over since Mason is gone?

So are the Scouts still having camps & rehearsals in Bloomington or is that over since Mason is gone?

www.madisonscouts.org is the best place for correct information and contacts regarding relevent questions and information. That, as well as the Madison Scouts facebook page.

But to answer your question, they are, and for good reason. Travel costs, housing costs, and general location make it an ideal fit.

Wisconsin has made it increasingly more difficult year after year for corps to use their facilities from a logistics and financial standpoint.

If a member were from Philadelphia flying to Madison for the April camp, 24-26, flights start at $308 round trip. The same camp dates to the Indianapolis area are $244. That's a considerable savings for the member, staff, volunteers, etc.

With the average cost per person associated with corps these days, it's nice that they look at things such as travel to help factor in weekend camps, considering the majority of the corps are not centrally located and haven't been in many years.

I loved going to camps in Madison, however, with these factors, and I am sure there are others, this is a logical way to operate weekend camps.

Edited by tesmusic

Wisconsin has made it increasingly more difficult year after year for corps to use their facilities from a logistics and financial standpoint.

If a member were from Philadelphia flying to Madison for the April camp, 24-26, flights start at $308 round trip. The same camp dates to the Indianapolis area are $244. That's a considerable savings for the member, staff, volunteers, etc.

But you can fly into Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for the same price as Indianapolis.

But you can fly into Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for the same price as Indianapolis.

And then need to get to Madison. And find schools that are willing to let you use their facilities and not charge a ridiculous amount as the schools in Wisconsin are for corps to use.

Well, I simply meant they don't need to go to Indiana just based upon air fare - they could simply shift closer to Milwaukee (only an hour's drive away) and still basically be in their "home" territory.

As for schools, I can't speak to the costs of Wisconsin schools versus Indiana schools - I would imagine it would still mostly depend on the local district though, not the state, though I could naturally be very wrong.

Edited by Eleran

Well, I simply meant they don't need to go to Indiana just based upon air fare - they could simply shift closer to Milwaukee (only an hour's drive away) and still basically be in their "home" territory.

As for schools, I can't speak to the costs of Wisconsin schools versus Indiana schools - I would imagine it would still mostly depend on the local district though, not the state, though I could naturally be very wrong.

I'm sure the decision is more than airfare as well. There are many factors I'm sure.

At least Boston's shift to Orlando comes with the bonus of being able to march outdoors over the winter.

That certainly helps.

It's great to see the Madison cymbal line again!

• Like 1