MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Gene Kelly performed in these musicals at MGM: For Me and My Gal (1942), DuBarry Was a Lady (1943), Thousands Cheer (1943), Anchors Aweigh (1945), Ziegfield Follies (1946), Living in a Big Way (1947), The Pirate (1948), Words and Music (1948), Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949), On the Town (1949)*, Summer Stock (1950), An American in Paris (1951), Singin' in the Rain (1952)*

Brigadoon (1954), Deep in My Heart (1954), It's Always Fair Weather (1955)*, Invitation to the Dance (1956)*, and Les Girls (1957).

Kelly co-choreographed all of these, and directed or co-directed the four shown with an asterisk.

He also appeared introducing clips in the musical compilation films That's Entertainment! (1974), That's Dancing! (1985), and That's Entertainment! III (1994).

Don't forget Xanadu!

I didn't. As mingusmonk mentioned in the 2015 Program thread, Xanadu (1980) wasn't an MGM film. Neither was Cover Girl (1944) or The Young Girls of Rochefort (1966).

I see they're looking for lead trumpets again. Unfortunate when there is a double G like in the third bar. I'm very excited about the show announcement!! Can't wait!!

• Like 2

I see they're looking for lead trumpets again. Unfortunate when there is a double G like in the third bar. I'm very excited about the show announcement!! Can't wait!!

He's not the only lead. The post they put up is due to a spot that just became vacant, but had previously been filled. There are others in the line that are capable, they're just hoping to fill a lead spot with a lead player. It's just a late camp season hole

He's not the only lead. The post they put up is due to a spot that just became vacant, but had previously been filled. There are others in the line that are capable, they're just hoping to fill a lead spot with a lead player. It's just a late camp season hole

I hope they find one! Edited by acn

Did not the Blue Devils play the MGM theme several seasons back?

I checked corpsreps but didnt see it listed by that title.

I also recollect that there were licensing issues when the DVDs were released.

What was played was forceful, melodic and seemed to fit Madison's style.

Anyone?

Yes BD played it in 2012 I believe. Really great show.

Yes BD played it in 2012 I believe. Really great show.

It was for sure. Probably didn't list it to avoid copyright issues.

Sort of like when BD conveniently left off Welby's Paganini Variations from 2001. The funny thing on that is I contacted designers about the 2001 ballad and was told it was original. Guess that's a way around usage laws.

Anyway, go Scouts!

• Like 1

Well I think it's a perfect fit for Madison. It's powerful, entertaining and allows the design team to create a Broadway extravaganza. They will need a great guard to add visual to an amazing brass line and competent percussion section. This may put them in the top 6 if they design it right..

Well I think it's a perfect fit for Madison. It's powerful, entertaining and allows the design team to create a Broadway extravaganza. They will need a great guard to add visual to an amazing brass line and competent percussion section. This may put them in the top 6 if they design it right..

I think the adjustments made in the guard staff will do what you're looking for. There's also a lot of talent from last years guard that will help as well.

I have been waiting for a MGM themed show for years, either the musicals or one of the other great films from this studio. I'm glad Madison will do such a show. First, it has the potential to be the feel good show of the year. The variety of music--everything from pop standards to classical numbers provides endless possibilities. "An American in Paris" is filled with Gershwin tunes, always a great choice for Madison. The Bernstein estate has been somewhat protective as of late, so I'm not sure of how much "On the Town" we'll see. "The Pirate" could translate well to drum corps and it would not be anything we have seen before. Also, there could be quite a degree of difficulty. MGM magic is not as easy as it looks. Could be quite a show.

I'm guessing Singin' in the Rain is going make an appearance in the show, since that has to be the most well-known Gene Kelly MGM musical.

Like the concept - looking forward to seeing the show!

• Like 2