MADISON SCOUTS 2015

I think the Madison Scouts problem is one of trying to decide what they truly want to be. Part of what has made them so popular over the years has been their seemingly unending desire to "give the fans what they want." At the same time, it has placed them in the precarious position of battling the notion of what gets rewarded from a competitive strandpoint as the activity has evolved into what it is today (right or wrong). It's clear that there are other corps who have found that balance of staying true to their identity while being on the cutting edge of what drives the activity forward, yet I never sensed that the Scouts knew quite how to pull that off. Whether that was driven by a fear of what they suspect might alienate their fans and alumni or I don't know what. It's a delicate balance, for sure.

There have been attempts in the past to bring them into that more modern approach of balancing who they are with how they approach the competitive aspect of the activity, but it seems like every attempt has been met with enough backlash (internally and externally) that they decided to retreat back into their area of comfort, even if it meant they might stagnate competitively (which they most definitely have). It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I'm an outisder with no horse in the race, so to speak, but my fondest memories of the Scouts were when they were not only one of the most popular corps on the tour but also one of the most deadly competitors, the corps nobody wanted to perform after. They can be like that again, but I think it might ruffle some feathers from within in terms of how they go about that process, and at the end of the day, I think that might be what keeps it from happening. I truly believe that the Madison Scouts are a sleeping giant just waiting for the right people to infuse the right kind of energy in the right direction that can propel them up the ranks in a very quick and significant fashion. I'm not sure the team they have in place right now is that right team, but we shall soon find out.

I think the Madison Scouts problem is one of trying to decide what they truly want to be. Part of what has made them so popular over the years has been their seemingly unending desire to "give the fans what they want." At the same time, it has placed them in the precarious position of battling the notion of what gets rewarded from a competitive strandpoint as the activity has evolved into what it is today (right or wrong). It's clear that there are other corps who have found that balance of staying true to their identity while being on the cutting edge of what drives the activity forward, yet I never sensed that the Scouts knew quite how to pull that off. Whether that was driven by a fear of what they suspect might alienate their fans and alumni or I don't know what. It's a delicate balance, for sure.

There have been attempts in the past to bring them into that more modern approach of balancing who they are with how they approach the competitive aspect of the activity, but it seems like every attempt has been met with enough backlash (internally and externally) that they decided to retreat back into their area of comfort, even if it meant they might stagnate competitively (which they most definitely have). It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I'm an outisder with no horse in the race, so to speak, but my fondest memories of the Scouts were when they were not only one of the most popular corps on the tour but also one of the most deadly competitors, the corps nobody wanted to perform after. They can be like that again, but I think it might ruffle some feathers from within in terms of how they go about that process, and at the end of the day, I think that might be what keeps it from happening. I truly believe that the Madison Scouts are a sleeping giant just waiting for the right people to infuse the right kind of energy in the right direction that can propel them up the ranks in a very quick and significant fashion. I'm not sure the team they have in place right now is that right team, but we shall soon find out.

This is why I am confident in these recent changes. Mason obviously did great thing in the DCI arena, but bringing back the arranger of so many great shows, along with KC Michel and David Veda who not only have done great things in the past for Nadison, have worked at high levels with so many corps, IMO is a much stronger design foundation than the corps has had in a while.

From a visual standpoint their work speaks for itself.

As for the music design, I couldn't ask for better.

That, along with keeping great teachers from recent years, and adding great names to that list, it's hard to see how the corps as a whole won't improve.

The best thing too is that we have a board and administration of people that understand the needs of the corps on and off the field and are doing many behind the scenes things to make sure the corps stays true to it's identity but also remains relevant.

I too am not a percussion person but have been around the activity for five decades and have seen instructors use various styles and tricks for instructing.

While I have heard of the different type of drum heads, I wonder. Would an instructor start the line off with a wetter, deeper sound for the winter camps; once the line becomes more astute with the arrangements and more accomplished as an ensemble, might their drum heads be switched to the type which gives a more crisp sound?

This would be similar to how brass and drill people teach the visuals at a slower tempo only to increase the tempo once the line has become more accomplished.

I wonder too if the resonance of the stadium also has a major factor in the choice of which of the two types of drum heads are chosen?

Lucas Oil seems to need a deeper low brass sound; therefore many corps have increased their number of baritones, euphoniums, and tubas. Synchs are also used to support this.

Might drum heads float the same way to the ear???

You hit on a lot of great points.

In your middle paragraph about using Mylar in the winter-I can't say for certain if that's what they're doing, but it would be a great educational tool.

There's a part of the equation you left out.

When Madison was a perennial top 6er for all of those years in the 70's, 80's and 90's, after 6th or 7th, you usually had a big drop in quality. Now, the pool is much deeper, and one misfire can hold you down. In 10 and 11, as well as 13, Madison was moving in the right direction, but never really followed it up.

• Like 1

There's a part of the equation you left out.

When Madison was a perennial top 6er for all of those years in the 70's, 80's and 90's, after 6th or 7th, you usually had a big drop in quality. Now, the pool is much deeper, and one misfire can hold you down. In 10 and 11, as well as 13, Madison was moving in the right direction, but never really followed it up.

This. Even in an off year, they would still stay in the top 6 because quality would drop off pretty quick under them.

Hoping the Mylar heads stay all year. They'll be the only line in DCI whose snares don't sound like counter tops.

Don't know if I'd say EVERY line sounds like that, though I can think of a few that definitely do.......blech. And I dig the Mylar as well. I really like the deeper, wetter sound myself, has lots of punch. Just not TOO wet. Are those snares tilted a little in the vid. or am I just crooked? I dig that clip quite a bit. Has Sparling been caption head the past few years? If he's responsible for 2012 - 2014 I've been really impressed with the lines the past few years, excited to see that continue, if so. They've definitely delivered for me the past 3 years in the percussion department.

• Like 1

Don't know if I'd say EVERY line sounds like that, though I can think of a few that definitely do.......blech. And I dig the Mylar as well. I really like the deeper, wetter sound myself, has lots of punch. Just not TOO wet. Are those snares tilted a little in the vid. or am I just crooked? I dig that clip quite a bit. Has Sparling been caption head the past few years? If he's responsible for 2012 - 2014 I've been really impressed with the lines the past few years, excited to see that continue, if so. They've definitely delivered for me the past 3 years in the percussion department.

The Mylar will be replaced as they clean things up with Kevlar.

As for Sparling, he's been there a few years and pretty much ran things in 2013-2014 with consulting from Lee Beddis. If you liked those years, you like Sparling.

As for the tilt, it was there last year, so I'm sure it'll be back in 2015.

I think the Madison Scouts problem is one of trying to decide what they truly want to be.........................

I suggest the problem many corps have, as with people themselves, is simply not being who they are----rather, they try to be what others may "think" they should be.

Somewhat akin to a barnyard chicken trying to be a dairy cow....................

I suggest the problem many corps have, as with people themselves, is simply not being who they are----rather, they try to be what others may "think" they should be.

Somewhat akin to a barnyard chicken trying to be a dairy cow....................

bfehCwpcMF-2.png

• Like 3

How Wes Con Sin of you...