MADISON SCOUTS 2015

My comment may be more appropriate for a drum thread....but why is it so important to make the finish different all the time?...that is the next cool pattern or color....I really don't pay much attention to that...yes I know it is supposed to compliment the show theme...and I will admit I'm more aural than visual...but if everyone had the same color drums I wouldn't care...and it's not like the hornline can just go with a different color every year...sans crown 2010...lol

I think you answered your own question. Corps want to put out the "total package" and so everything down to the drum finish is in play now.

I agree it happens too often and am more of a fan of keeping some finishes for a while but I see the change reasons as well.

It could also be that corps are selling their batterie at the end of a season to raise funds, so they have the option to change

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

The Scouts have used their drums for 2 years for a long time. The drums they had last year were the same finish as their 2005 line and were really pretty. I just don't get the finish they chose for this year but the line does sound really good.

Interesting because I thought their line was dirtier this year compared to previous years. Ive known several people on their line for the last 4 years so it's something I've watched. It's probably the switch from mylar to Kevlar so recently that is making it unclear.

Interesting because I thought their line was dirtier this year compared to previous years. Ive known several people on their line for the last 4 years so it's something I've watched. It's probably the switch from mylar to Kevlar so recently that is making it unclear.

Or maybe it was the first performance of the year? Seriously.

• Like 3

I have a question to pose to two groups of people about the Scout's performance last night as compared to last year's early book. What do you percussion guys think of the scout's drum book this year and what do you visual/guard guys think of those two captions as compared to last year at this time? I know it's early but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I like the drum book, though the video last night kind of muddied up the sound. I think it's definitely more advanced than last year's, though, and overall seems to be a better fit with the total show package. I can tell you more after seeing them in the theater.

mike

Thank you Mike for your thoughts. I'm happy to hear that you think the overall drum book is better this year.

I like the drum book, though the video last night kind of muddied up the sound. I think it's definitely more advanced than last year's, though, and overall seems to be a better fit with the total show package. I can tell you more after seeing them in the theater.

mike

If nothing else, they're getting 30 percent more sound out of their battery. Last year they marched 7 snares and 3 tenors; last night there were 9 and 4.

• Like 1

If nothing else, they're getting 30 percent more sound out of their battery. Last year they marched 7 snares and 3 tenors; last night there were 9 and 4.

Audio physics doesn't work that way, but I'll forgive you since you're absolutely right on visual impact and coolness factor.

• Like 1