MADISON SCOUTS 2015

When the other 11 finalists do a big bang ending and Madison risks it with a single soloist WITH NO COVER leaving it out there, IT IS RISKY!!!!!

There ya go...

So you are the one person who actually liked it.

Oh, I don't know. We had 29 people in our basement to watch finals, and everyone in the room knew what was coming, since most of them had been at the theater just two days earlier. As the moment came closer, some people shusshed the room, and everyone leaned in with anticipation. And when the soloist hit the final note, everyone fell over with a big cheer and applause, and more than a little respect for the soloist for bravery.

Would they have loved a steamroller ending? Most likely. But they sure seemed to like this ending just fine.

• Like 4

When the other 11 finalists do a big bang ending and Madison risks it with a single soloist WITH NO COVER leaving it out there, IT IS BALSY!!!!!

Well...most of the other 11 finalists. There were other soft endings - the Blue Stars quiet tag comes to mind.

I actually thought the ending was one of the highlights of their show. Perhaps it's because of the Madison identity, where you expect a loud and in-your-face ending, but the anticipation of the quiet ending and the emotional payoff were, for me, some of my favorites moments from them this year. I loved it.

I know I'm going to take a ration of crap for this but here goes:

I love it how most of you want Madison to relive the past and do the same recycled stuff. Example: "DO A SWEET ### LATIN SHOW." Or "PLAY MALAGAUENA/STRAWBERRY SOUP/MALAGA/LEMON SQUEEZE AND MELT FACES OFF!"

At the same time, you wonder why they finish in 10th place.

Why can't we just appreciate the past for what it was? Those Madison shows were incredible. 95, 96, 88. All of them amazing. But thats just the point. It's not the late-80s or early-90s anymore. Scott Boerma hasn't written for the corps in the better part of a decade. If you want the Madison Scouts to be successful and keep advancing and challenge for championships, they can't keep living in the past.

Sorry if this is hard to hear. It's just my two cents. I couldn't care less if you disagree.

I would like to see the Madison Scouts competitively relevant again. I know, deep down, most of you would, too.

• Like 3

Funny how "competitively relevant" and "crowd pleasing" seem to be mutually exclusive ideas today. Okay, not funny. Sad.

I love it how most of you want Madison to relive the past and do the same recycled stuff. Example: "DO A SWEET ### LATIN SHOW." Or "PLAY MALAGAUENA/STRAWBERRY SOUP/MALAGA/LEMON SQUEEZE AND MELT FACES OFF!"

Why can't we just appreciate the past for what it was? Those Madison shows were incredible. 95, 96, 88. All of them amazing. But thats just the point. It's not the late-80s or early-90s anymore. Scott Boerma hasn't written for the corps in the better part of a decade. If you want the Madison Scouts to be successful and keep advancing and challenge for championships, they can't keep living in the past.

Sorry if this is hard to hear. It's just my two cents. I couldn't care less if you disagree.

I would like to see the Madison Scouts competitively relevant again. I know, deep down, most of you would, too.

it's because some believe that those times would be competitive today. There's isnt much that would IMO although they were great.95 & 96 fav's of mine

Funny how "competitively relevant" and "crowd pleasing" seem to be mutually exclusive ideas today. Okay, not funny. Sad.

This is the biggest over-generalization I've heard in a long time.

Take a look at 2008 Phantom, any recent Crown, 2014 BD, Cadet's Angels and Demons show (can't remember the year) and about 100 other recently competitively successful and crowd pleasing shows for proof.

Competitively relevant and crowd-pleasing appear, based on reading these MEN OF MADISON threads, to be two separate things in here.

• Like 2

I like you. Someday we shall get a beer together, simply for you typing this. Make NEW CLASSICS!! Though for what its worth, if you want to talk identity via sound, Boerma is the Madison Sound.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2

How so? The crowd loved the Bluecoats...they loved Blue Devils too...as well as the other top corps. And those groups were VERY competitive.

• Like 4