Would Santa Clara Vanguard have won in 1989 if.....

Seems like a reasonable question for everyone:

Do you think Santa Clara Vanguard would have won in 1989 had they not performed nearly the same exact show in 1988?

I've thought about this one for a long time now, and my personal feeling is that they wouldn't have won in 1989 if it wasn't for them performing nearly the same show in 1988. Granted, I know they could have won in 1988, but I also wonder how many vets they had from '88 into the '89 season?

Also, do you guys know why SCV decided to do Phantom of the Opera again in 1989?

For the record, I thought Vanguard should have won in 1988, and Phantom Regiment in 1989. New World Symphony is one of my all-time favorite shows by Phantom.

Discuss.

Do you think Santa Clara Vanguard would have won in 1989 had they not performed nearly the same exact show in 1988?

I've thought about this one for a long time now, and my personal feeling is that they wouldn't have won in 1989 if it wasn't for them performing nearly the same show in 1988. Granted, I know they could have won in 1988, but I also wonder how many vets they had from '88 into the '89 season?

Also, do you guys know why SCV decided to do Phantom of the Opera again in 1989?

For the record, I thought Vanguard should have won in 1988, and Phantom Regiment in 1989. New World Symphony is one of my all-time favorite shows by Phantom.

Discuss.

It's funny seeing "nearly" and "exact" in the same sentence.

I believe that '88 was the more emotional and better show with better solos and a more artistic guard that could play on the male/female roles.

The '89 show had a couple of glaring holes and fracked/terrible solos (compared to the previous year), but I guess it was cleaner and had the mask and all-female guard.

There were some very large differences between the shows, and yes there were some similarities as well.

To answer your question... I think it would depend on the show. Would they have executed a different show as well? Would they have spun and marched a different show as well?

I'm not sure what you're getting at...

IMO, and this is only my opinion, they would have won in '88 had it not been Madison's anniversary.

My second-hand information is that Gail Royer knew it was a great show and intentionally repeated it in a year when there were no extraneous circumstances affecting the outcome.

I've always believed what Gail believed.

• Like 7

yeah that judging was a bit interesting

really felt SCV had it in 88 and 89 I personally thought Regiment had it

SCV was the 2nd place corps for several years - so maybe that played into it

to answer the OP - I really don't think the shows were that identical - different drill, arrangements, guard work etc. Close but not THAT close. JMO

• Like 2

yeah that judging was a bit interesting

really felt SCV had it in 88 and 89 I personally thought Regiment had it

SCV was the 2nd place corps for several years - so maybe that played into it

to answer the OP - I really don't think the shows were that identical - different drill, arrangements, guard work etc. Close but not THAT close. JMO

My highschool played a slightly shorter version of SCV's 89 show (we didn't play "wishing you were somehow here again" and "track down this murder." Instead we added in our own drumbreak). So after marching that show for a whole season, the differences between 1988 and 1989 are quite big to me. I prefer 1989 for sure.

• Like 2

Discuss.

The magic trick got them more GE in 89 .... all kidding aside... I enjoyed 88 much more than I did in 89...I don't think a reboot like this could be done today though as in back-to-back years. I haven't gone to look at corpsreps, but I am wondering have any other corps done back to back years like this or was this a first and last?

• Like 1

88 was an interesting year. At finals, I was torn between Madison Scouts and the most amazing version ever of Malaguena, and SCV and their fantastic arrangement of POTO. That is one year, I would almost have loved to have seen a tie for first place.

89 version of POTO was even better, in different ways, than the 88 version. I can understand why some people love 88 more than 89 version, but I still like the 89 version a little better. I am not sure playing music from the same show 2 years in a row helped SCV in any way. In fact, I sometimes think it hurts corps to play the same show/similar shows 2 years in a row. It takes an amazing performance to keep the audience and judges into a repeat show, but that is what Vanguard did in 89, and the whole show seemed magical. And, in my opinion, that was what had to happen to sell the show in 89. I don't think anything could have gotten in their way that year at finals, regardless of whether they had played selections from the same musical the year before. And for many years, and to some people still today, that was the show that set the standard for the activity.

• Like 2

The magic trick got them more GE in 89 .... all kidding aside... I enjoyed 88 much more than I did in 89...I don't think a reboot like this could be done today though as in back-to-back years. I haven't gone to look at corpsreps, but I am wondering have any other corps done back to back years like this or was this a first and last?

Regiment 81/82, very different versions of Spartacus

around then, it was very common for corps to carry songs or parts of shows over the next year, BD did it too - everyone did

• Like 1